Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kilt Aprons

Martin Felstead

Does anyone know when the kilt apron was first introduced? I have read somewhere that they were first worn during the Boer War. Looking at photos in books I have there seem to be two types - the first just a simple apron worn the front of the kilt and then a full "wrap around" version. I am particularly interested in what would have been worn in 1914 during First Ypres by the 1 Black Watch and 1/14 London Regt (london Scottish).

Martin,

Have a look at Ian Robertson's photos of 1 Black Watch pre-war. His great uncle Tom Wilkie served in the battalion.

Aye

Tom McC

Hello,

The Kilt Apron was introduced during the Boer War. The first ones seem to have been just the front cover type. By the First War the full type of apron was in use. This is the type that was issued to the Black Watch.

As you know, the London Scottish wore a kilt of Hodden Grey. In 1914, when they first went to France, they did not wear an Apron, but just the kilt and sporran. There is a very famous painting of them in action at Messines which shows them in Kilts and sporrans, however after the painting was done and it was shown various veterns of the action wrote to the artist and museum to inform them that just prior to going into the line, the battalion was ordered to remove their Sporran badges and the two Black Horse hair tails from there sporrans, so that they would not be too easily identified by the Germans. If you look at the few photographs taken after the action you will note that this infact did happen. However the artist decided to bring his artistic licence into play and therefor in his painting the badges and sporrn tails remain.

I have a book about the uniforms of the London Scottish which has more details on the above incident and i seem to remember it also names one of the veterns who raised this issue. I will dig it out if you would like?

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

The Kilt Apron was introduced during the Boer War. The first ones seem to have been just the front cover type. By the First War the full type of apron was in use. This is the type that was issued to the Black Watch.

As you know, the London Scottish wore a kilt of Hodden Grey. In 1914, when they first went to France, they did not wear an Apron, but just the kilt and sporran. There is a very famous painting of them in action at Messines which shows them in Kilts and sporrans, however after the painting was done and it was shown various veterns of the action wrote to the artist and museum to inform them that just prior to going into the line, the battalion was ordered to remove their Sporran badges and the two Black Horse hair tails from there sporrans, so that they would not be too easily identified by the Germans. If you look at the few photographs taken after the action you will note that this infact did happen. However the artist decided to bring his artistic licence into play and therefor in his painting the badges and sporrn tails remain.

I have a book about the uniforms of the London Scottish which has more details on the above incident and i seem to remember it also names one of the veterns who raised this issue. I will dig it out if you would like?

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

Thanks for the reply. I used to be in The London Scottish myself so I suppose I really should know this! The Painting you refer to, by Caton-Woodville, actually still hangs in the drill Hall and I was aware of the artistic licence used in it's completion. I have The uniform book (published for the centenary in 1959) and it says that the Apron was introduced in early 1915, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew anymore. With this forum there always seems to be someone out there who knows everything there is to know about any topic!

Martin