Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th, 5th, 6th, TF Bn's. Black Watch

gnr.ktrha

Hello Tom,

As promised, more Black Watch shoulder titles.

Top Line-

They are the 4th {City of Dundee} Battalion 1908 to 1921 Shoulder title in brass and white metal {worn on Scarlet Doublet}. 2nd {Angus} Volunteer Battalion, white metal, C1887 to March 1908, also worn on Scarlet Doublet [The other battalions seem to have worn embroidered shoulder titles]

Bottom Line-

6th {Perthshire} Battalion, large and small, both brass. The large may have been worn on the great coat. And lastly the 5th {Angus and Dundee} Battalion in brass for service dress.

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1175076466.jpg

Stewart,

Very nice badges.

From the badges you have shown here, would it be correct to say that pre 1908 the 7th Bn would have wore a similar badge to the 2/V/RH but with a 6 instead of a 2, having previously been the 6th Fifeshire Volunteer Bn.

I hope that makes sense, I know what I mean :huh:

:) Hello,

That's correct 6/V/RH. However, I've never seen one in white metal and I'm fairly sure at the Black Watch museum, the examples there are embroidered straight onto the shoulder strap. I will check next time I am in, probably next week.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

Glad you liked the badges. One of the reasons these badges are not too common is the fact that they were easily broken when wearing equipment. They probably stopped making them around 1916 as a war economy measure. Thats why you see so many photographs of men who you know were in TF battalions, but they are wearing the normal Regimental pattern shoulder title. In the case of the Royal Highlanders {The Black Watch} this would consist of the leters 'RH' in brass, or even white on khaki slip on embroidered titles.

Regards,

Stewart