Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut-Commander Philip Henry White RN

daggers

This is a re-jig of another thread, bringing together the contributions it attracted there.

"Lieut-Commander P.H.White" was found among the names on a memorial plaque in St Jude's Church, South Kensington. He is not listed in the CWGC website, nor in the RN officers section of the Cross of Sacrifice.

Member kin47 found White listed as retired but serving in HMS Columbine from 1914. This proved to be a depot ship/flagship at Rosyth.

Navy Lists showed White in HMS Honeysuckle in 1916 and later in HMS President, the last entry being in the October 1916 List.

Member Siegegunner found White in the Naval Who's Who (1917 edition) as having served in HMS Plover around 1900 off China which earned him a China Medal, and retired in 1911.

The official Probate Calendar for 1917 has an entry for WHITE, Philip Henry, of 2 Redcliffe Gardens, Clarendon Road, Southsea, Hampshire, lieutenant-commander R.N. died 3 December 1916 at the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar Hampshire. [details of his widow and amount of his estate follow but are irrelevant here.]

I have looked at Navy Lists across the relevant time-span and found no other officer under "White, P.H."

All this seems to add up to an officer who had retired pre-war, was called back to serve and died before the end of the war as a serving officer, nominally on the retired list but not so stated in this probate entry.

If the death certificate confirms the detail found in the probate calendar, will this be sufficient for CWGC to accept the name of Lieut-Commander White for due commemoration? Comments welcome. I shall be applying for the certificate.

Daggers

It will depend on what the certificate says. Hopefully it will mention his naval status as a serving officer.

If you wish GWF to put this man forward, contact me once you have the DC.

Daggers

drop a PM to Sadsac - he may be able to help

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to several pals who contributed information about this officer, we have now traced an announcement of his death in Portsmouth, at Haslar Hospital, and of his funeral at Highland Road Cemetery. The death notice in one paper gave him as of HMS Vernon.

All the info has been passed to Terry Denham and we hope the CWGC will accept this as worthy of formal commemoration.

Daggers

• 3 years later...

Excellent news - thank you John for highlighting this late commem.

This arose from a funeral I attended where my seat was immediately in front of the internal memorial plaque. After the formalities I took a photo, having noticed that almost all the entries were for officers. Out of habit I looked up the names on return home and found most on the CWGC site with no difficulty. White was one of the problems, but with help from the forum he has now been formally recognised. The National Inventory has the details.

D