Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Great Uncle

chrisrflnet

post-19131-1172851344.jpg

Hi all

A pic of my great great uncle, Arthur Edwards, who I beliece served in the middle east ( Jerusalem ) and France.

A few questions if I may :-

1) The cap badge is from the Royal West Surrey Regiment ?

2) Any indication of rank?

3) Anything else that can be deduced from the uniform?

Many thanks

Chris

As perefct a pic of the capbadge of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment as you could hope for.

The "checkerboard" badge on the left sleeve is the battle patch for the 34th Division which probably means he was in the 2/4th Bn (TF) , the Queen's which joined 101st Brigade of 34th division in June 1918.

The stripe below (by shape and colour) would indicate which battalion of the Division he was in.

The picture is near the end or after the war as he has overseas stripes on his right sleeve. 3 I think. One for each year overseas. I can't tell what is above that, but it may be the same as on the right sleeve. A crown?

I can't make out the medal ribbon on his left breast but if it is a 1914 or 1914-15 Star then it would be the former as he seems to have a Rose on it denoting the 1914 Star with service under fire before 22-11-1914.

Steve.

If he is in the 2/4th Queen's then his number should lie between 200001 and 240000.

Possibly:

Medal card of Edwards, Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

The Queen's Regiment T/1878 Private

The Queen's Regiment 200445 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=11

or

Medal card of Edwards, Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

The Queen's Regiment T/1741 Corporal

The Queen's Regiment 200366 Corporal

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=11

Steve.

If, as Steve suggests, the medal ribbon is the 1914 Star with the Rose it dates the photo as after 19 October 1919, the date when these were announced

Peter

Many thanks Steve and Peter

I have looked up the medal records, both of the Arthur Edwards mentioned, have date of entry 17.7.15, so only the 1915 Star. Family hearsay says he received the "croix de guerre", but i've haven't ever found the award in the London Gazette.

Many Thanks

Chris

Hi

Of the 2 Arthur Edwards mentioned, ones a private and one's a corporal. Does the uniform suggest either of these?

Thanks

Chris

Not a great one for rank insignia, but I believe the Crown denotes Company Sergeant Major?

The 2/4th Queen's served at Gallipoli, in Palestine and later in France, by the way, first with 53rd Division and then with 34th Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/queens.htm

Steve.

Company Sergeant Majors crown and overseas chevrons on left wrist, not sure I agree it is a 14 or 14/15 Star?

Rob

It doesn't really look the right "colours" to be the 1914 Star, does it?

It's the attachment on it that's throwing me. It looks like a 1914 Star Rose, but as you say, not convinced...

Steve.

Steve,

I'me thinking gallantry and not a rose!

Its also a dark ribbon not the watery silk of the Star.

Rob

• 1 year later...
post-19131-1172851344.jpg

Hi all

A pic of my great great uncle, Arthur Edwards, who I beliece served in the middle east ( Jerusalem ) and France.

A few questions if I may :-

1) The cap badge is from the Royal West Surrey Regiment ?

2) Any indication of rank?

3) Anything else that can be deduced from the uniform?

Many thanks

Chris

Chris, was he the son of Albert James Edwards b. Gloucestshire but moved to London. I am searching for Alfred, Albert, Arthur and William Edwards from WW1, they are my great uncles.

• 3 weeks later...
Chris, was he the son of Albert James Edwards b. Gloucestshire but moved to London. I am searching for Alfred, Albert, Arthur and William Edwards from WW1, they are my great uncles.

Sorry NickyP my Edwards come from Lincolnshire. Your Edwards appear on 1901 Census as i'm sure you are aware.

Chris