Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Records

Cheryl C

After reading on BBC News that WW1 records have gone on line I went through the process and came to Ancestry.co.uk. I typed in the information on my father and it keeps coming up as no records found. I have a copy of his mic and got the relevant info from that.

The info I typed in was - first name: alfred, surname: kiteley, service number: a/202499, dob: 1898, any other info - into this I typed his other initials w.y) but still nothing. So I inserted KRRC - still nothing.

Can anyone help/suggest what to do next?

Cheryl

They only have surnames beginning with A and B in one series of service records so far. On top of that, the majority of the service records were destroyed during WW2. Your best bet is to go to Kew and look at the microfilms.

Mick

If you are too far from Kew, you could try your local Family History Centre of the Church of Latter Day Saints. They can order the films in; if the records survive they should be in this one:

Box 6282 - Kite, Albert to Kitson, George H. VAULT BRITISH Film 1879064

One major advantage with this is that you will be able to pick out any of his relatives if their records survived. When I tried it I only got one out of seven I was looking for, so there is a large element of luck involved, but at least you find out what exactly is available.

It is all explained in this thread, just click on the link:

Service Records - LDS Church.

Tony.

Cheryl, the other tip I would give you after my experience with search engines is that you can be too specific with your search criteria. The Ancestry search engine will reject a search if ANY one of the search criteria is not met.

When the "K" records come on line, by all means try "Alfred Kiteley", but if that fails try just "Kiteley". If that still fails try possible spelling and writing variations.

If you've had experience searching the on-line census records then you'll know what I'm getting at.

You have only to wait for the "K"s to come on line. My interest is "W" so I'm faced with an even longer wait!

Noel

Sorry Bob, but that is not the case. The files in WO364 contain papers from the man's service record. They just happen to be of a sample of those men who were discharged to pension. Usually, but not always, there are papers to do with the man's medical record and pension but attestation papers, military history sheet, statement of services, etc are often there too.

• 1 month later...

Folks,

Can someone clarify exactly what "discharged to pension" actually means?

My grandfather, John Brockway R/6479 of the King's Royal Rifle Corps was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve on 2nd March 1919.

I know he was wounded several times, but I have no idea whether that earnt him a Pension. He definitely ended the War with serious scars and some lung damage, so you could hardly call him "fit", :( but he was certainly "fit" enough to work in civvy street long into his 60's before he retired.

Is he likely to appear in WO364?

Sorry to be asking dumb Qs ... but I'm still finding my way round Service Records :unsure:

Cheers!

Mark

Had a quick look on Ancestry at the WW1 pension records. Alfred John Brockway was there. Is that him?

Bob

Mark, Class Z Reserve has been discussed on the Forum many times. A quick search will show you just about everything you need to know. It did not qualify a man for a pension.

Chris,

My grandfather (Sapper RE) was discharged to Z reserve, but obtained a pension due to some (minimum) disability arising from Trench Fever, for which he had been hospitalised during his service. Miniscule as the sum was!

Ian

Chris,

Sorry, I read your previous post to mean that going into Class Z meant you would not then qualify for a pension. I know what Class Z otherwise meant of course.

Cheers

Ian

Mark, Class Z Reserve has been discussed on the Forum many times. A quick search will show you just about everything you need to know. It did not qualify a man for a pension.

Chris - I know that. ;)

What I was getting at was ... could he have been awarded a modest pension because of his wounds/gassing, even though he was deemed fit enough to be discharged to the Reserve, and was then able to work for the rest of his life.

I suppose this boils down to could a man discharged to Reserve, also get a Pension? If "yes" then presumably I need to check WO364 just in case!

From what Ian says it looks like it is a "yes".

I guess the Disability Assessment you mention in Post #14 could only be amongst his Service Records (if at all) ? ... so I'm in a bit of a Catch 22 here! :(

Cheers,

Mark

Chris,

My grandfather (Sapper RE) was discharged to Z reserve, but obtained a pension due to some (minimum) disability arising from Trench Fever, for which he had been hospitalised during his service. Miniscule as the sum was!

Ian

So, Ian, does that mean that you found his Service Records in WO364? Or were they in WO363?

Cheers,

Mark

Had a quick look on Ancestry at the WW1 pension records. Alfred John Brockway was there. Is that him?

Bob

Bob,

I'm afraid not. His full name was William John Brockway, known as Jack, Service Number R/6479. So far all references to him (MIC and the 15 Star and BW&VM Rolls) are simply 'John Brockway'

He was born in 1894 in Little Hereford, Herefordshire, which is just outside Tenbury Wells in Worcestershire.

He had a cousin Frederick George Brockway also born in 1894, as well as a younger brother Alfred George who was born in 1901.

In the 1901 Census, my grandfather is recorded simply as 'John', the cousin as 'Fred'. The brother wasn't yet born. He was known as 'Fred' too though!

I know almost nothing of these relatives to be honest. I don't even know if they served.

Given that our branch of Brockways is full of Fred's, William's and John's, there's a good chance this Alfred John Brockway is a relation - probably from the Shaftesbury area of Dorset/Wilts from where the Tenbury branch originated in the 1850's.

He was discharged on 2 Mar 1919 if that's any use.

I did an MIC search on DocumentsOnline at the NA to get all the Brockways with a forename starting with "J" and returned these:

Brockway, Jack W

Corps: South Wales Borderers

Regiment No: 14083

Brockway, James T

Corps: 4th Middlesex Regiment

Regiment No: L/9499

Brockway, James

Corps: Army Service Corps

Regiment No: CNT/100

Brockway, J

Corps: Army Service Corps

Regiment No: CMT/100

Brockway, John H

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 116960

Brockway, John [my grandfather]

Corps: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Regiment No: R6479

Brockway, John

Corps: Monmouthshire Regiment

Regiment No: 29055

Brockway, Josiah

Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

Regiment No: 116856

The Mormon Family History index to the Burnt Records has the following boxes:

Box B-2988 Brockman, Charles to Brockway, Arthur S.;

Box B-2989 Brockway, Benedict F. to Brockway, James T.

Box B-2989 Brockway, Josiah to Brockwell, Frederick;

... which seems to match the way the microfilms split in the Kew NA Index.

Being a pessimistic sort of chap, it looks to me like the Service Records jump from 'James T. Brockway' to 'Josiah Brockway' skipping over most of those in my MIC List above :(

Since Ancestry.co.uk is also coming up blank so far on the Pension records, I'd say the outlook is gloomy for me finding his Service Records. <_<

Cheers,

Mark

So, Ian, does that mean that you found his Service Records in WO364? Or were they in WO363?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Sorry, I don't know. I had a researcher check them or me a few years ago. Whatever section they were filed under they were certainly 'burnt documents'!

Ian