Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Light Railway Operating Coy

montbrehain

Following on from my post "Royal Engineers mechanical "carrying party" Heres the rest of the pics supplied by a mate of mine. I have cropped and cleaned them a bit. We are both hoping that somebody can supply some info on the pics ? Such as where were they taken ? The last pic , a "group shot"was among the others but may not have been taken at the same time ? My mate reckons they are probably 29th Division ? Due to the Cap badges that are present , Any Ideas ? Enjoy "MO"

post-13272-1172137795.jpg

post-13272-1172137853.jpg

post-13272-1172137893.jpg

post-13272-1172137943.jpg

De-railed !!!!!

post-13272-1172138243.jpg

And recovered....

post-13272-1172138312.jpg

Are these men from the 29th Division ? They all appear to be senior NCOs

post-13272-1172138429.jpg

Superb pictures Mo!

Are you sure that engine was derailed?

It looked like it was taking a bend at high speed to me! :D

I'm looking forward to more information on this,

Cheers,

Tony

Well its definitely not on the rails :D Perhaps it jumped the points ? I am sure an expert will be along soon ?? and tell us all about it ? :lol:

Whatever the cause, the result is a derailment!

Looks as if it jumped the points, which appear set against the line from which the engine was approaching the junction. Excellent photos, and a treat for the occasional oddball like me who has interest in trains and WW1....!

S.L.R.? - Somme Light Railway?

Takes me back to the time when I nearly drove a 9F through the back of Birkenhead shed.......

Great pix mo, the third one is now my computer wallpaper for the time being.

cheers Martin B

Hi all,

great photo's and as been said brings it all to life. Looking at the cap badges I thought I recognised The York and Lancaster badge,

The 7th Battalion (Pioneers) of the Regiment where involved in building and maintaining the light railway system around that area, There are 2/3 sections of there history book devouted to this subject.

Cheers Roger.

yes great photos monty you are very good at sharing photos and i love em .now if only you had some of the 6th dorsets mmmm tom

No problem Tom , If I find DORSET especially 6th your my first stop ! As for sharing pics , Anything I have is for sharing ! especially if its the only one i know about ? As I have oft said on this forum :blink: I am a great believer that the more a photo is shared the more likely to survive for future generations ? Glad you all like the Pics ? and as a matter of interest can anybody tell me what the cap badge of the man front row 4th from right is ? I think I know ?

• 1 year later...

the derailed train looks to be a Hunslett "War Office" class 4-6-0T. If I'm reading its' number correctly as 305 that puts it in a batch made between 10.8.16 and 15.9.16.

On the third photo down, the two loco's on the left look like Baldwin 4-6-0T. The ones on the right look like Alco "Cooke" 2-6-2T.

The loco on the elevated track with the two Simplexs in front of it looks like an Alco "Cooke" 2-6-2T. Its WD No 1234 puts it in a batch made between 24.2.17 and 4.5.17.

cheers

baz

Nice pictures Mo, thanks for sharing them.

Andy

Dear MO,

A wonderful set of photographs indeed, many thanks.

There are a lot of very clean steam locomotives standing out of steam. 20 hp Simplex No 18 is also very clean. Nothing much is happening. Is the war over and everybody is waiting to go home?

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon me for adding a bit to this thread. Those are remarkably good photographs. If you are interested in a film of the light railways in action I have found this neewsreel at the National Film Board site. It is titled "Canadians Advance East of Arras 2", but that may not describe its contents very accurately. The largest part of it shows a train ride on a gasoline powered train delivering artillery ammunition up to the batteries. I believe that at this time the Light Railways were under Corps command in the forward areas during operations, but were handed over to Army control as the advance moved forward.

(By the way, these newsreels are wonderful, but they are poorly indexed, and I only stumble upon things by accident bytimes!).

That was a good bit of film, where would Piccadilly and Crusifix be I wonder that is on the signboards......................?

Bob Grundy