Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

These Chaplains not on CWGC or in SDGW or ODGW?

Audax

I have a number of names which I am unable to find in CGWC and ODGW. I believe them all to have been serving a commissioned Army Chaplains (C.F.s) when they died. Perhaps a pal can check GRO / Census records? Looked in L.G. but nothing found.

Rev J D Bevins Chaplain 4th Class died 7 Jun 1918

Rev Richard Ussher Greer Died 23 Jun 1915

Rev Joseph James Griffin Died 30 Jan 1918

Rev T Hewett 4th Class Died Jan 1918?

Rev Wilfred Rathmell Ogle Died ? April 1917

Rev Samuel John Woodhouse Sanders Died Feb 1917 ?

Rev Silas William Stevens

Rev Thomas J Thorpe died 20 Feb 1915

As there seem to be no records of any medals awarded to any of these men; perhpas all of them died 'AT HOME'

Should they have been recorded by CWGC? perhaps Terry can advise

Thanks - any help much appreciated

A

Should they have been recorded by CWGC?

Yes - assuming they were serving at the time. The fact they died at home is irrelevent.

You would need to be able to provide documentary evidence of this to CWGC. As they are didnt serve abroad, I guess the only evidence is going to be in the service file at Kew.

If they were not actually serving and, perhaps, had been discharged then it would be a matter of what was on the death certificate. But, as they never experienced the rigours of overseas service, it doesnt seem to me likely that you'd be able to evidence that death was service related.

If, in due course, you think there's a case, post a thread in the "non-commemorations" section and Terry can submit it to CWGC, on your behalf, under our arrangements with them.

John

Terry,

Most of the names appears in the DEATHS section of the Army List. I'dont how accurate this is as source or that inclusion in the Army List indicates they were still serving at the time of their death. Perhaps they were had already been medically discharged. Perhaps someone can advise?

Audax

Don't know if this is of any help but LG has following notices callling for creditors of deceased estate:

LG 14/3/16

Reverend Silas William Stevens (Deceased) late of St Laurence Rectory, Southampton who died on 23rd Oct 1915.

His Death was registered at Southampton and he was aged 61 years

LG 29/12/16

The Reverend Wilfrid Rathmell Ogle, late of The Vicarage, Highgate N who died on 28th October 1916.

His death was registered in Edmonton RD aged 57 years

Regards

Pam

Pam,

Thanks for the above refs from the L.G. This moves on a little more, as it confirms dates of death.

John H,

Well done - thanks for TNA Ref for Rev J J Griffin.

A :)

Audax

Rev Richard Ussher Greer was Rector of Seapatrick Parish, Ireland and Chaplain to the 8th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles he died suddenly in 1915 of a brain haemorrage aged 47 years.

Type the name into your search engine and you should get a few hits.

Regards

Pam

Thanks Pam,

I have found Rev Joseph James Griffin Died at Home. Listed on the Cheltonians site here http://www.remembering.org.uk/timeline_1918.htm Anyone know what PE stands for?

There were appears to have been 2 chaplains called J J Griffin the other was James Jackson Griffin his MIC is here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=7

This might well be the file that John H found on the TNA catalogue at WO 374/29366

A

Audax

Death Registered re Joseph J(ames) Griffin aged 51 years in the West Bromwich RD

This is from "Leaving all that was Dear - Cheltenham and the Great War" by Joe Devereux and Graham Sacker:

Griffin, Joseph James, Chaplain 4th Class, Army Chaplain's Dept

"The Reverend Joseph James Griffin, a Clerk in Holy Orders of St Peters Church, Tewkesbury Road, Cheltenham was appointed an Acting Army Chaplain on the 10th January 1916 and died on the 30th January 1918 at 40, Clarence Road, Handsworth. It is unlikely that he had any connection with the town other than his clerical appointment."

Regards

Pam

Audax

Thomas J Thorpe

There is a Death Registered for Thomas J Thorpe Mar Qtr 1915 aged 59 yeras at Woolwich RD

LG 28th Aug 1914

The undermentioned Acting Army Chaplains to be temporary Chaplains to the Forces. dated 20th August 1914.

4th Class

Reverend Thomas J. Thorpe

Samuel John Woodhouse

This is a long shot he couldn't be The Rev Canon Samuel John Woodhouse Sanders?

Death Reg Dec Qtr 1915 at Barrow S RD aged 69 years (Died 9th Dec 1915?)

1915 Army lists have Rev Canon S. J. W. Sanders MA LLD, Chaplain 2nd Class (TF attd) Leicestershire Regiment

3 Mar 09

3 Mar 94

LG March 2 1894

1st Volunteer Battalion, the Northamptonshire Regiment, The Reverend Canon Samuel John Woodhouse Sanders, M.A., LL.D., tobe Acting Chaplain. Dated 3rd March, 1894

Regards

Pam

Pam,

Thankyou!

T J Thorpe, while searching the L.G I found the attached page which revises the date of his appointment but also states that he has since deceased.

I've located Sanders in Hart's 1915 List - This is the man. Attached 4th Battalion The Leicester Regiment.

A

Thorpe.pdf

'PE' is the web-site's reference to the place of the memorial

In this case St. Peter's Church, Cheltenham

see http://www.remembering.org.uk/st_peter'...ch_memorial.htm

One of the authors, Jimmy James, is a member of the GWF and can no doubt clarify this further

Regards

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I hope to make contact with Jimmy and clarify some of the details re: Rev Grifffin.

A

• 7 months later...

Hello 'A',

Apologies if I'm posting on the wrong thread, but I have a couple of 'Padres Killed' and I'm not sure where else to post them.

[source: The Yorkshire Evening Post, Wednesday, 19 January, 1916. p. 5]

post-13441-1191569364.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

The Times [Obituaries]

The Rev. J. M. Connor [The Times, Monday, July 19, 1915 p 4]

The Rev. Hatton Bertram St. John De Vine [The Times, Thursday, May 4, 1916. p 4]

The Rev. James Leitch Cappell C.F. att. Royal Scots [The Times, Friday, February 1, 1918. p. 2]

The Rev. Arnold John Bennett [MC] Royal Warwicks [The Times, Thursday, February 7, 1918. p. 5]

The Rev. E.W. Barker C.F. [The Times, Wednesday, March 27, 1918. p. 5]

The Rev. C.G.C. Meister [MC] [The Times, Tuesday, May 7, 1918. p. 4]

There was also an interesting case of a man who was charged under an offence of the Vagrancy Act for impersonating a clergyman. He was sentenced to twenty-five strokes of the birch and a spell in the clink. :o [The Times, Thursday, June 10, 1915. p. 5]

Cheers,

Dave

The Times [1918]

Rev. Edgar Noel Moore [Liverpool Regt][TT, Jan 11, 1918. p. 5][see Also: Thurs, Jan 31, 1918. p. 9]

Rev. Cyril Narramore Were [att. Rifle Brigade][TT, 19 Jan, 1918. p. 5][see Also: Tues, Feb 19 for ref. to Rev. O.A. Holden at p. 13. KIA 1-12-1917]

Rev. Harvey Staunton [Mespot][TT, Weds, Jan 23, 1918. p. 5]

Rev. George Wm Baile [TT, Mon, Feb 11, 1918. p.8]

Rev. J.L. Cappell [As Above]

Rev. E. Reginald Gibbs [Grenadier Guards][TT, Fri, Apr 5, 1918. p. 4]

Rev. Harry Lawson [As Above]

Cheers,

Dave