Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Army Chaplain

Griffin

Does anyone have any information about this man?

He was in the Royal Army Chaplains' Department and was at Gallipoli.

Other than that he was a friend of a relative I'm researching, I know little else.

I'd be very grateful for any info or pointers.

Thanks and Regards,

Arthur

Times Obituary Friday 13-7-1951

post-6536-1170162242.png

He attended the 29th Division dinners after the war, so just guessing....

http://www.1914-1918.net/29div.htm

He also attended the 47th (2nd London) Division dinners in 1933, 1934, 1935 and also the London Irish Rifles (1934), and Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (1936)

Steve.

Who's Who 1940.

DEVAS, Rev. Francis Charles, S.J., D.S.O. 1917; O.B.E. 1919; Assistant priest, Farm Street Church; Hon. Chaplain to the Forces (2nd Class); b. London, 3 April 1877; e. son of Charles Stanton Devas. Educ. Beaumont College, Old Windsor; abroad. Entered the Society of Jesus, 1895; taught in the Jesuit Colleges of Beaumont, Wimbledon, Stamford Hill; Priest 1909; Commission as C.F. 14 Nov. 1914; accompanied 29th Div. to Gallipoli, serving throughout campaign with 1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers; was at Cape Helles and Suvla, subsequently in France (DSO); Deputy Assistant Principal Chaplain 18th Corps; afterwards to 8th Corps; Chaplain (2nd Class) 18th Bn. London Regiment (London Irish Rifles), 1923-38.

Publications: Life of Mother Magdalen Taylor: Our Ladye of Walshingham and other verses. Recreations: main interests - working boys clubs and general after-care work. Address: 114 Mount Street, London, W.1

Andy

London Gazette entries:

LG 4-12-1914

ARMY CHAPLAINS' DEPARTMENT.

The undermentioned to be temporary Chaplains to the Forces, 4th Class: —

Dated 14th November, 1914.

The Reverend Francis Devas.

LG 17-4-1917

ARMY CHAPLAINS DEPARTMENT.

The undermentioned temp. Chaplns. to the Forces, 4th Cl., to be temp. Chaplns. to the Forces, 3rd Cl. (without increase of pay or allowances), whilst acting as Senior Chaplns. to the Forces (Non. C. of E.) of Divs. 18th Feb. 1917: -

The Revs.-

F. C. Devas.

P. D. Devas.

N. M. Wright.

LG 7-5-1918

ARMY CHAPLAINS DEPARTMENT.

The Rev. F. C. Devas, D.S.O., temp. Chapln. to the Forces, 3rd C'l., to,be temp. Chapln. to the Forces, 2nd C'l. (without increase of pay or allowances), whilst acting as Senior Chapln. to the Forces (non C. of E.) of an Army Corps. 18th Feb. 1918.

LG 23-4-1919

ROYAL ARMY CHAPLAINS DEPARTMENT.

The Rev. F. C. Devas, temp. Chapln. to the Forces, 2nd Cl., relinquishes his commn., 20th Mar. 1919, and is appointed Hon. Chapln. to the Forces, 2nd Cl.

LG 3-6-1916

OBE Link:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

LG 10-7-1919

MID Link :

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

From 'The Cross on the Sword' by Tom Johnstone & James Hagerty

"It would be difficult to find a more remarkable Catholic family on the Western Front than that of the Devases. Charles Stanton Devas was distinguished for becoming a Catholic while a schoolboy at Eton. He later went on to Balliol, married, and had nine children. One became a nun, three were priests: Francis SJ, Raymund OP and Philip OFM. All three became army chaplains. Two other sons went into the Army; one was killed. Between them the five brothers were awarded three OBEs, one DSO and two MCs."

1881 Census:

10 Strathmore Gardens, Kensington.

Charles S. Devas 32, MA Oxon, Writer on Political Economy, born Long Ditton, Surrey

Eliza M.H. Devas 28 , born Clifton Bristol.

Mary M. Devas 5

Francis C. Devas 4

Ambrose J. Devas 2

Lucy M. Devas Under 11 months

(Children all born at Kensington)

(5 servants)

1891 Census:

Albert House, Copse Road, Clevedon, Somerset.

Charles S Devos 42, Widower, living on own means.

Francis C Devos 14, b Kensington

Ambrose J Devos 12, b Kensington

Bertrand W Devos 9, b Kensington

Gabriel E Devos 7, b Paddington.

Elizabeth M Devos 6, b Camberley, Surrey.

Raymond G Devos 4, b Paddington, Middlesex

Philip E Devos 3 , b Bath, Somerset

(5 servants)

1901 Census:

Schoolmaster, age 23, at Mount St Mary's College, Eckington, Derbyshire, born Kensington, London.

Steve.

From Debretts 1924

post-3871-1170186694.jpg

One of his brothers was Father Raymond Devas, attached to the 51st Northumberland Fusiliers, who gained a Military Cross for: ".....conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in visiting front line trenches during heavy fighting, where his coolness and courage greatly assisted in maintaining the confidence and morale of the men" (London Gazette, July 1918). He was based at the Woodchester Monastery near Stroud, Glos., at the outbreak of the war.

His Obituary makes fascinating reading, I had to reread it a few times to take it all in.

He obviously fell into the category, "once met, never forgotten" :)

I can imagine all sorts of anecdotes attached to this man.

Thanks and Regards,

Arthur

From The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923 page 235.

Devas. The Rev F.C. (DSO L.G. 1.1.1917) Army Chaplains Dept. : b. 3.4.1877. e.s. of Charles Stanton Devas ; educated Beaumont College, Old Windsor : and abroad. entered Society of Jesus 1895, 1895. Priest, 1909. commission as Chaplain to the Forces 14.11.1914. Served European War in Gallipoli and France.

In hs book 'Tommy' Richard Holmes uses a picture from the IWM to illustrate the chapter Heart and Soul' The caption says 'A Chaplain probably Father Dominic Devas, wearing the shamrock arm badge of the 16th (Irish) Division conducting a burial in a trench 1916.'

I'm not sure if Fr. Dominic is a relation to Fr. Frank C Devas

quote: "One became a nun, three were priests: Francis SJ, Raymund OP and Philip OFM."

per 'Cross on the Sword' Philip was Philip Dominic Devas

he was wounded on 3 September 1916

and wrote 'From Cloister to Camp' published 1919

Edited by michaeldr

From 'The Cross on the Sword' by Tom Johnstone & James Hagerty

"It would be difficult to find a more remarkable Catholic family on the Western Front than that of the Devases. Charles Stanton Devas was distinguished for becoming a Catholic while a schoolboy at Eton. He later went on to Balliol, married, and had nine children. One became a nun, three were priests: Francis SJ, Raymund OP and Philip OFM. All three became army chaplains. Two other sons went into the Army; one was killed. Between them the five brothers were awarded three OBEs, one DSO and two MCs."

There was a Lt Arthur Devas of 1st essex regt, 29th Div. Died Feb 1st 1915 at Oxford aftre being taken ill in Banbury. He was 37 years old, Boer War Vet and had risen from the ranks. He was buried at Minehead, Somerset.

stevem

Steve,

It's not the same family

Arthur's parents are given as "Arthur Charles and Louisa Mary Devas, of Cleeve Cottage Minehead."

regards

Michael

• 1 year later...
I'm not sure if Fr. Dominic is a relation to Fr. Frank C Devas

Father Francis Devas S.J. was indeed the brother of Father Dominic Devas o.f.m.: I assume Phillip was Fr. Dominic’s baptismal name, as up to Vatican 2 when you entered a religious order you took a new name, but for official purposes both names were often shown. My parents lived in Stratford E.15. in 1920’s/30’s and had mentioned Fr. Dominic,who was a member of the Franciscan community there and said that he had a brother Francis in the Jesuits.

I noticed the photograph of the trench burial in “Tommy” and I got in touch with Franciscan archivist, who told me that it was indeed Fr. Dominic and they had a copy of the photograph and his copy of “From Cloister to Camp” with his own added pencil notes. Fr. Dominic was a prolific writer of religious book and pamphlets. He was still going strong until a week before he died of stroke aged 94 yrs. on 24th November 1982 at the Friary in Nottingham.

Their brother, Lt. Bertrand Ward Devas,Suffolk Regiment was killed at Serre in France on 13th November 1916 and he is buried in Luke Corpse, British Cemetery Puisieux. Lt. Arthur Devas of the Essex Regiment does not appear to be a direct relative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Attached an extract form a picture of the 1ste Royal Inniskilling Fusliers, Vlamertinge 1917

from the replies above:

- A reverend with a dog

- served the 1ste Inniskilling Fusiliers

So this must be rev. F.C. Devas with his dog,

sorry for the poor quality, a copy of a copy of a copy....

Bart

post-23831-0-67588200-1367659449_thumb.j