Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private C.Moorehouse

stevehol

I am interested in finding more info on Private C. Moorehouse ,South Staffordshire Regiment, 2nd Battalion.

I Have found through the CWGC Site Died 25.10.1914. Buried Poperinge Communal Cemetery

I Have since found his place of residence Was Brewood, Staffs. Can anyone help with finding more info :Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Age Ect. I have the Death Plaque of this Soldier. and would dearly love to find out more

Thanks

Hi, :)

He enlisted in Lichfield and at the time was in residence in Brewood. SDGW states that he Died of Wounds but doesn't record where he was born.

Cheers

Tim.

Charles, service no 8007 MIC can be downloaded.

there is a Charles Moorehouse on 1901 census age 5 born Sheffield Yorks Administrative county Sheffield Civil parish Brightside Bierlow

may or may not be your man as there is only one other aged 42 would have been too old to serve in 1914 probably his father

Thanks for the fast responce. The info is interesting. Moorehouse is not a common name so could well be him.

a relative of mine found his death plaque in his house and gave it to me

since then I have been trying to find out more. I must say the help on this forum is brilliant. Thanks once again

Got 'im!

BMD register has MOOREHOUSE, Charles Bertie, b. Cannock, Q4 1888.

On the 1891 census (spelt Moorhouse!), living at Cresswell Lane, Brewood:

Father: MOORHOUSE, Benjamin, age 28, Agricultural Labourer, b. Wolverhampton

Mother: MOORHOUSE, Sarah A, age 24, b. Dunstew, Oxon

Daughter: MOORHOUSE, Charlotte E, age 4, b. Brewood, Staffs

Son: MOORHOUSE, Charles B, age 2, b. Sandon, Staffs

Daughter: MOORHOUSE, Florey, age 1, b. Wolverhampton

On the 1901 census (again spelt Moorhouse!), living at Oakley, Brewood, Cannock:

Father: Benjamin Moorhouse, age 39, Waggoner On Farm, b. Staff Park Lane Brewood

Mother: Sarah Moorhouse, age 35, b. Oxon Hempton

Son: Charles Moorhouse, age 12, b. Staffs Saredon

Daughter: Florence Moorhouse, age 10, b. Staffs Wolverhampton

Son: Alfred Moorhouse, age 9, b. Staffs Kiddermore Green Brewood

Daughter: Nellie Moorhouse, age 6, b. Staffs Keele

Daughter: Caroline Moorhouse, age 4, b. Staffs Ashley

Daughter: Mary Moorhouse, age 2, b. Staffs Marston

Daughter: Ethel M Moorhouse, age 1, b. Staffs Stretton

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Adrian

And here, possibly, is little brother Alfred - also a casualty:

BMD has Moorhouse, Alfred Thomas, b. Cannock district, Q4 1892.

Medal card:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=4304095

CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=907368

Name: MOORHOUSE, ALFRED THOMAS

Initials: A T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 07/11/1914

Service No: 8929

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 35 and 37.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Regards,

Adrian

EDITed to add "possibly"!

EDITed again to add: Both are commemorated on Brewood War Memorial, see http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.com/B...d-War-Memorial-

EDITed yet again: Oh, I've just seen the other thread on Brewood Memorial - so you know that already!

SDGW states:-

8929 L/Cpl Alfred Thomas Moorhouse

Killed in Action 7-11-14

Born Kiddermore Green, Staffs.

Enlisted Wolverhampton.

Residence Kiddermore Green.

Cheers

Tim.

1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment

Took part in successful attack on enemy's line North-West of Klein Zillebeke on 7th November. Captain J. F. Vallentin killed and subsequently awarded Victoria Cross.

Cheers

Tim.

Thanks apwright and Sommesoldier for the Exellent Info. you have given me nearly all I was looking for. what a realy Interesting and Friendly Forum its most interesting reading posts. My next quest is to find C Moorehouse Family So I can give them his Death Plaque Back

Thanks once again to all

stevehol said:
My next quest is to find C Moorehouse Family So I can give them his Death Plaque Back

Well, I don't think Charles or Alfred ever married, and Benjamin and Sarah may have had more children after the 1901 census.

e.g. there's:

Moorehouse, Frederick James, b. Cannock in Q2 1902

Moorehouse, Hilda Frances, b. Cannock in Q1 1904

Moorehouse, George T W, b. Newcastle uL in Q4 1907

But I may have a lead on their eldest daughter.

Charles's big sister Charlotte Ethel Moorhouse (b.Cannock, Q1 1887), who was away from home at the 1901 census because she was, at age 14, working as a domestic servant at a house in Stretton, married Ernest James Weatherer (b. Cannock Q1 1889) at Cannock in Q4 1913.

Possible medal card of Weatherer, Ernest

Corps Regiment No Rank

South Staffordshire Regiment 11927 Private

He appears to have survived (not in CWGC).

Now look at this thread:

Might be worth contacting 'vix51'.Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for the info which is most usefull. I have sent a mail to vix51 with links to this thread. I will keep you informed of the outcome on here

Thanks once again

Regards

Steve

My parents live about 3 miles from Brewood and will check out the phone book for any sign of the name Moorehouse next time they are in the village. (Their phonebook doesn’t include Brewood.)

A bit of background info for you. Brewood is now a desirable commuter village but in that time would have been an agricultural village. It used to be part of the King's hunting grounds and it is thought King John's hunting lodge is buried under the church there but as it is consecrated ground they cannot investigate. It was also important for lock making before the lock makers headed off to Wolverhampton and Willenhall due to better transport links.

Kiddemore Green is basically a hamlet just outside Brewood. Stretton is another hamlet really thought it technically covers quite a wide area. There are a couple of big old houses in Stretton, presumably Charlotte would have worked in one of those two. There is a war memorial in Stretton, next to a long since closed Post Office. Marston is another small agricultural village / hamlet in the same vicinity. The WW2 airfield – used for navigator training, a few of the old buildings survive – was a pig farm whilst I was growing up but I believe it has shut now. All the places mentioned above are within a handful of miles of each other.

Thanks Roger D for the Area background. It helps me a lot in putting all these village names together. I do intend to visit the area later in the year, its not to far away. I'm in wirral. The name on the death plaaque is Moorehouse, but I think it is a miss spelling and should be Moorhouse

Thanks Roger

Regards

Steve

• 10 years later...

Hello, I am not sure if this topic is still valid, but I believe Charles Moorehouse was my Mom's uncle or great uncle. We as a family lived in Brewood and my Mom's mothers name was Florence Gillett nee Moorehouse. I believe Charles was killed and also his brother Alfred - their names are on the cenotaph in Brewood churchyard. If you have any further information, please make contact. 

Edited by Guest
Remembered a name