Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tom R. Newmarch

Terence Munson

Hi, Tom R. Newmarch Feb 1917. Cannot find this casualty on CWGC site or on the NA MiCs- He is one of the eight remembered on this Stone Slab Memorial in North Aisle of St Giles Church, Scartho. Grimsby:

The other seven's details check out - Possible non-commemoration?

Cheers Terry

Edited by Terence Munson
to remove attachment (Original was replace by an advert!

He's not listed in SDGW under that name.

I searched for all Thomas's who died in February 1917 - incredibly, there were 415! No near-spellings and no likely candidates from the area.

Could he be a naval man?

hi terry theonly thing i can add is from the 1901 census TOM R NEWMARCH BORN SCARTHO AGED 7 IN 1901

He's not listed in SDGW under that name.

could he be a naval man?

Hi, Thanks for looking - Chris, yes a strong possibility now with SDGW blank and stevemfc confirming he existed. He isn't listed on Grimsby's Roll of Honour so over the weekend I'll check to see if the church has any records and look up the Grimsby News' report on the memorial's dedication dated 13th March 1920.

I'll keep you posted!

Cheers Terry

An update - this poor but just about readable photo of a print from a microfilm from the library yesterday sets more questions. Can't find Pte S W Newmarch on th CWGC site either!

Suggestions wecome!

Cheers Terry

Edited by Terence Munson
to remove attachment (Original was replace by an advert!

And that says "of the Yeomanry". There are two men of that surname in the medals index.. a Francis and a Frederick, but no Tom. Francis served with County of London Yeomanry and Frederick with Hertfordshire Yeomanry. Looks like he did not go overseas.

Both are not on soldiers died ?!

Or in Deruvignys roll of honour

Thanks all - Looks like I've got to do a family research project on them - birth and death certificates etc.

Cheers Terry

Ive had a real good look (like a challenge) and cant find a thing!

I noticed the paper refers to an article the previous week - that might give some more details

Ive had a real good look (like a challenge) and cant find a thing!

Likewise but I've a backlog of them at present. I did look at the two previous week's copies but frustratingly I couldn't find it recorded and then ran out of time!

Cheers Terry

Chris

I had that thought too about alias's - looked for initials and that didnt work either - worked on the assumption changed surname only

Thats a whole new problem to explore

hi terry this is whats on census thomas h aged 35 head caroline wife aged 31 sidney son aged9 tom r aged 7 living at top farm scartho thomas was a farmer ok i hope this helps

Steve, Thanks for the the Census information. Much appreciated.

Cheers Terry