Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev George King,Pleasant Point NZ, Otago Mounted Rifles

eltoro1960

Hi there

Can anyone assist with any information on the above man, he was was with Otago Mounted Rifles at Gallipoli. I have a newspaper clipping of a note to his father (also George) who resided in Newtongrange, Midlothian,Scotland.

Thanks

This one

Surname KING

Given Name George

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 9/1731

Rank Chap Capt

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Chaplain Corps

Marital Status M

Last NZ Address Pleasant Point

Next of Kin Title Mrs H

Next of Kin Surname KING

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address The Manse Pleasant Point Canterbury

Source: Nominal rolls

Presbyterian.

Zack

King 9/1173 Chaplain George Bush. Born Edinburgh 1874. Minister of Pleasant Point Minister of Plesant Point .

Source: Christopher Puglesley Gallipoli The New Zealand Story page 232 / 379

Zack

I'm obliged for that, he certainly was at Gallipoli as the Chaplain to the Otago Rifles, he describes the 'fight with the Turks' to his father, cheers.

KING, Rev George Stuart

b 25.1.1874 Dalkeith Scot; w Helen b 17.1.1876 m 18.6.1902 d 25.11.1966

Rep 1903: he worked 2 yrs in Queensland as HM & came to NZ in 1903 highly commended

by HM Com of that Ch; worked as stud; studied at Edin Univ before he came NZ.

Norsewood HBP stud prch 1903 (formed new parish 1903)

Hall 1906-8

Ord Pleasant Point SCP 13.4.1909

Chap 1st Main Body NZEF 1914-8; res Pleasant Pt 30.9.1918

After the War he visited Sth Afr & Aust, visiting schools & univs, & brought back new ideas.

Seacliff DnP 28.2.1919

Lansdowne Masterton WpP 3.5.1923

St James Wanganui East 2.11.1927

Strath Taieri (Middlemarch) 18.6.1937

Motueka NMP 26.9.1940

‘A fruitful & faithful ministry.’

Died 30.1.1944 in office.

http://www.archives.presbyterian.org.nz/Page175.htm

John

A little more for you:

Rev G King (Presbyterian) was the Chaplain on the HMNZT No 9 “Hawkes Bay” sailing from Port Chalmers. The Commonwealth and Dominion Line owned the ship and the Ship’s Captain was F C Lidstone. On board was a mix of the Otago Mounted Rifles Regiment, Canterbury Mounted Rifles Regiment, two companies and machine section, Otago Infantry Battalion and NZ Field Ambulance etc. Officer commanding troops on board was Lieut Colonel A Bauchop, CMG, New Zealand Staff Corps and Ship’s Adjutant Captain H C Glendining, New Zealand Staff Corps. In all a total of 13 chaplains, including George King, travelled in the Main Body.

Source New Zealand Expeditionary Force (Europe) War Diary (1915) page xiv

Is there any chance that you will replicate the newspaper clipping and the note to his father on the forum? It's interesting that in J Bryant Haigh's book Men of Faith & Courage he is hardly mentioned so any information about him would be great. Christine's reference was really helpful in putting a little more fresh on the bone so to speak. And Allie's question is a really interesting one - sorry but I don't have any answer to make on it but the volume of travel inside and outside of New Zealand does seem a lot. What do you know about him?

Zack

PS I note that Chris Pugsley gives one of his names as "Bush" - perhaps he was confusing him with Bush-King (C of E) another Chaplain?

Thanks for all the terrific replies, I seem to have misplaced the clipping as we speak (kids and filing systems do not mix) as soon as I find it I will post it. I think George King would be the Presbyterian (CofS) as opposed to the CofE minister, certainly the place if birth, Dalkeith , tallys with my research.

Thanks to all. :)

Found the clipping, I would imagine this is the noisiest Parish he ever had, fairly standard stuff to his dad.

post-12171-1169408568.jpg

Great :) - thank you John - any date attached to it?

Zack

It's from the Dalkeith Advertiser circa 9th May,1915.

Fabulous newspaper clipping, John!

Being Presbyterian/Church of Scotland makes a bit of sense when you know he was the chaplain with the Otago Mounted Rifles. Otago was a province largely inhabited by those of Scottish origins. You only have to look at the main city there - Dunedin (from the gaelic Dùn Èideann for Edinburgh) - where you can see the statue of Robbie Burns, wander along George Street, Princes Street and Stuart Street, and alongside the Water of Leith (albeit slightly more pitiful than the original), to realise where the original settlers came from.

Allie

Cheers John! Is he related to you at all?

Zack

He's not related, I found him whilst researching for my website Newbattle at War (link in signature,shameless plug :rolleyes: ) , I had found a few Aussies in their midst but George is the first Kiwi, surprising as you say, thousand of ex-pats in the area. I have credited you kind folks on his page for helping me with the information you supplied.

My G G Uncle Robert Duncan being one of them, he was killed further north in the Brunner Mine disaster of 1896, although he was 41 not 14 as listed on some memorials, I sometimes wonder if there is some long lost ancestors out there.

• 8 years later...
Guest george wells

The Rev George King was my grandfather.

An update on his life

Born 25Jan1874 Married Helen Stuart (Stewart) B 30Mar 1874 Marnoch (birth reg 17 Jan 1875 due large snow storms in 1874) Birisbane 18Jun 1902.

He died 14 Dec 1943 at Masterton New Zealand and was buried 16 Dec 1943 at Archer St cemetery Masterton N Z.

Wife Helen died 25 Nov 1966 and was buried 28 Nov 1966 at Archer St as well.

I have the small pocket Bible he carried at Gallipoli and the France,

George Wells

• 6 years later...
On 30/06/2015 at 06:38, Guest george wells said:

The Rev George King was my grandfather.

An update on his life

Born 25Jan1874 Married Helen Stuart (Stewart) B 30Mar 1874 Marnoch (birth reg 17 Jan 1875 due large snow storms in 1874) Birisbane 18Jun 1902.

He died 14 Dec 1943 at Masterton New Zealand and was buried 16 Dec 1943 at Archer St cemetery Masterton N Z.

Wife Helen died 25 Nov 1966 and was buried 28 Nov 1966 at Archer St as well.

I have the small pocket Bible he carried at Gallipoli and the France,

George Wells

George, your grandfather was my paternal great grandmother's nephew.  Her name was Jane (Jean) King b 1848 in Dalkeith.  She and my great grandfather were married in 1876 and had 9 kids.  My paternal grandmother had a sister, Agnes Russell (nee Peat) who emigrated to NZ in 1906.  That part of the family are still in the North Island.

Willie

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. George Wells is no longer a member of the forum, as denoted by Guest. We won’t hold any contact information for him. 

Sorry to hear that Michelle.  It would have been nice to contact someone relatively closely connected.

Maybe someone else may be connected.