Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One sixth-scale Great War Tommy

Tony Barton

Since posting a preliminary picture alongside an enquiry sparked requests for more pics , here are some photos of one of my finished models :~

The Lewis Gunner , 1918 :

Following the useful suggestions from members I've removed the carrying handle , re-organised his webbing , and decided to badge him up as 2nd.Batt Duke of Wellington's , following an illustration in an Osprey book : it satisfied my wish to have a Yorkshire Regiment , as well as being moderately colourful:-

Lewis-two.jpg

Lewis-rear.jpg

And a more casual shot with his SD cap on . One of the delights of figures in this scale is that they can be posed in almost any position , being in effect a dressed , fully-articulated small figure ; you can thus alter the configuration of the kit in a prototypical way , by simply unbuckling it , and redressing in any way you wish :-

Lewis-four.jpg

Please forgive the Barracks background to these shots : I have yet to build a 1/6th Trench system , though I'm working on it ! The problem will be where to keep it once it's made , since it might have to be pretty big ...

Thanks for looking : all reasonable comment and criticism gratefully received .

********************************************************************************

Again, absolutely marvellous, but again a few small points (want me to absolutely crush your desire to post again? ;) )

Brilliant work Tony. I've just discovered your "Entrenching Tool" thread also and as a figure painter of the more usual 54mm-120mm kits I can appreciate how much time and effort you've put in to your figures.

Roger.

I am not worthy! I shall cast my excuses for models into the pit!!

Tony,

Anything you have no room to store.... you have my address.

Great work, keep them coming.

Cheers,

1/6th scale! I thought my 1/16th scale stuff took up a lot of room!! Beautiful - Tony! Could you tell us what you started with and what you changed? As a modeller (of the conventional sort...as Roger said so aptly) I'm interested in the work you did and how. I can appreciate the degree of difficulty and time required to produce such a figure!

All the best,

Dan

Hello Tony !

I have viewed the pictures of your models posted on the Forum and really like your work. Please do post more !!!

Regards

Wayne

Thanks for the kind remarks : making these figures is a very absorbing hobby , which started about five years ago once the first ones became widely available .

I do a lot of other periods as well : my Great War figures are only a small part of my collection .

Rather than give details of their making ( which would take a long time , and not be relevant to this Forum ), I would recommend readers who might be interested to go to onesixscale.co.uk , which is the main British forum : a little browsing there will inform them of the sort of methods used : basically a lot of switching bits between available figures , but in this case a deal of scratch building as well .

The basic figure is a plastic articulated body : all the uniform and equipment comes from any source you can get it , but for Great War figures you generally have to make it : in both these figures the uniform was bought , then modified , then the webbing was made by me .

Here's a Tank Corps chap , 7th Batt. 1917 :-

TCTWO.jpg

He also has a helmet :

TCFour.jpg

I was defeated by the mail curtain on the visor : it has proved impossible to get small enough rings to make it ; I gather they were often removed anyway ( well that's my excuse ! )

Tony,

A really awesome piece! I am impressed (among other things) by the tiny, delicate stitches in the dress: That Tommy has an excellent taylor!

Gloria

Tony

Absolutely superb! Fancy doing some Germans? I found Sideshow's German figures a bit of a mixed bag -I liked the Stormtrooper and the soldier in body armour, but generally found the quality and detail wasn't up to what Dragon tend to offer.

All the best

Paul.

Know what you mean about the Sideshow Germans , P.B. : I have several , but they never quite grabbed my enthusiasm like the Tommies did ; and you are quite right about the quality issue : Sideshow are well behind the other companies .These figures only work because of the almost total rebuilds .

I'm extremely envious that Tony and Roger and other fine modellers have the time and space to do this fascinating hobby.

Perhaps after my son grows up a little and I win Lotto I shall get back into it. :P

Tony,

Thank you for adding the Tank Corps figure. The detail is so realistic. I am quite impressed with the inter-changable headgear and equipment.

How about starting a gallery to show of your work to those of us who get pleasure from it ?

Regards

Wayne

Tony,

I thought the TC fiqure was truely amazing. Is he for sale? If the answer is no if I plead and whinge and whine alot will it change your mind? All power to your elbow - just stunning!

Tanks3

I would just like to add my own words of appreciation to those of the others on here. What outstanding quality. Sorry if all this praise is becoming a bit repetitive!

Well , given the expertise on this forum , I'm glad people like them !

I'm sure the experts could find fault , since apart from having read the basic books I have no particular expertise in this period : they are all really just a snapshot of Work in Progress : as I learn more . I make alterations .

As to putting up a gallery , I'm working on a website which will have figures from all periods in it : it's one of those jobs that never seems to get finished .

As I said earlier , I don't have a model trench to put them in as yet , but I made this lash-up for some pics a little while ago : please forgive the imperfections : The figure is done up for the shot as an SB in about 1917 : could be almost any regiment :-

5thwYorksSB.jpg

And this one represents the underage soldier " Eighteen , Sir .. " , and is known as Little Fred : I'm still working on him , and want to have him represent a soldier from one of the W.Yorks battalions mustered in York , where I live : probably the 5th or the 9th :

W.jpg

And sorry , none of them are for sale !

********************************************************************************