Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Modified P'14 small pack

grantsmil

I have a modified pattern 1914 webbing haversack. It is made of all webbing construction. The 2 two inch straps on the rear have two brass eyelets in the centre of each strap, and all the 1 inch tabs with buckle have been removed and have been replaced with 1 inch P'08 type buckles. The two buckles on the side are the exception, and they have been replaced with 2 inch wide web strap with matching 2 inch brass buckles. In short it is a P14 small pack, modified to be used with P08 infantry web equipment.

My question relates to the inspectors markings. There are two markings on the inside of the covering flap. The first is somewhat faded and is a broad arrow above the number 44. The second mark is a broad arrow above R above 96. I have not seen Letters used in conjunction with British military inspectors/acceptance marks.

Does the R indicate the item is an accepted modification, perhaps R for remade, refurbished, repaired?

The pack is the same as seen at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...;p=582056

The post no.113

post-6040-1167118564.jpg

I have a modified pattern 1914 webbing haversack. It is made of all webbing construction. The 2 two inch straps on the rear have two brass eyelets in the centre of each strap, and all the 1 inch tabs with buckle have been removed and have been replaced with 1 inch P'08 type buckles. The two buckles on the side are the exception, and they have been replaced with 2 inch wide web strap with matching 2 inch brass buckles. In short it is a P14 small pack, modified to be used with P08 infantry web equipment.

My question relates to the inspectors markings. There are two markings on the inside of the covering flap. The first is somewhat faded and is a broad arrow above the number 44. The second mark is a broad arrow above R above 96. I have not seen Letters used in conjunction with British military inspectors/acceptance marks.

Does the R indicate the item is an accepted modification, perhaps R for remade, refurbished, repaired?

The pack is the same as seen at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...;p=582056

The post no.113

Grant,

I don't have the magic answer to this one. Two inspection stamps is a bit unusual. I do know from primary sources that the stamp could be traced back to a viewer/inspector and usual QMG stamps had the arrow and number.

Stores, this included P08 etc fell under QMG branch 9, Clothing fell under QMG branch 7 and had a different inspection system.

The inspection branch of Q.M.G.9, under Colonel Wortham, was responsible for the pattern and inspection of all “Q.M.G. stores”. This branch was far more autonomous than its sister in the Royal Army Clothing Department (QMG 7) and answered directly to the D.E.O.S. Its branch would expand from 347 personnel in 1914 to 5700 in the course of the war. This branch also was far more flexible than QMG 7. Pre-war inspection and approval of contractor delivered goods had taken place at Woolwich Dockyard before being passed onto the storehouse. With Woolwich quickly being swamped in 1914 branches were established at many large commercial centers and depots. Inspection work was further decentralized by posting viewers at contractor’s facilities to examine goods during and after manufacture. Q.M.G.9 inspectors were also given a great amount of latitude and it was within the discretion of the Chief Inspector to approve any suitable substitute.

Your second stamp with R may refer to the modification of the pack. I don't have access to my modified P14 web packs to see if any cooresponding stamps are prevelent, there may be as all my packs are unissued so no fading in any stamps. It would seem logical that if modified at a contractor or depot there would be a re-inspection.

Hope this helps,

Joe

It would appear that the R mark was not restricted to the small pack. I have also found it on the modified large pack. As seen in the image of the underside of a modified large pack flap.

But it does not appear on all modified small packs, as the second image of a modified small pack shows, the mark is nowhere to be seen.

post-6040-1167358287.jpg

post-6040-1167358307.jpg