Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking the Service Records of a family.

Tony Lund

I have been promising myself a look at a roll of film containing service records at the Family History Centre of the Church of the Latter Day Saints for a while now, so when I found out that Sergeant William Overend had a brother and six cousins, all called Overend and all between 19 and 29 years old in 1914, it seemed like an opportunity to try it out.

The Overend men are on two films, Overall Edward W to Overend John and Overend John to Overland Albert E. Not surprisingly this is the same as the film at the National Archives, only the reference numbers are different. Because I am looking for a range of names from Albert to William I have ordered both rolls of film. The charge for this was a little over £6 and all I have to do now is wait for the film to arrive. I was told this could take a while, maybe even a month. But that does not really matter. I am going to be able to look up every man named Overend whose records have survived without leaving Huddersfield.

I am quite looking forward to this, and I will post details of any further costs, for photocopying etc., as I encounter them, and if anyone is interested in a man whose name falls within the range given above I will be happy to look for him while I am searching for the Sergeant and Co.

Tony.

Guest Ronald Moore

Hello Tony.

My understanding is that my fathers service record was destroyed in WW2

but I would be obliged if you would email me = ronaldmoore@btinternet.com

should you find GEORGE MOORE 4Th Bat. Royal Fusiliers Mentioned in

Dispatches at Mons 23 Aug. 1914 when in action with the first two VC's.

Thanks

Hi Tony

I have heard about this service before. Do you know where other LDS libraries are in the UK? I have checked the website, but could not see a list.

Thanks

Pete

Hello Tony, I have just read your your bit regarding SERVICE RECORDS via Mormon lists so I contacted the local L.D.S library and they said they didnt know and for me to check their catalogue which I did but SERVICE RECORDS WAS NOT entered so could you point me in the right direction to find the SERVICE RECORDS for CHRISTOPHER LAWSON 1/5 ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIER. Many THANKS. Chris. :blink:

At the Huddersfield Family History Centre a very helpful lady looked through a very long list of available resources. I had already used the National Archives website to identify the films I needed and once she was into the list of films covering the service records the rest was easy. She did say she had dealt with this type of record before which must help a bit I suppose, but I did not look at what they were called on her computer. I wonder if they are listed under Burnt Documents or some other name? I shall enquire on my next visit, although I don’t know when that will be.

As I said earlier the only difference with the National Archives in the labelling of the film is the reference number, the names and initials are exactly the same. In my case - Overall Edward W to Overend John and Overend John to Overland Albert E.

If you use this link and put the surname in the top box and WO 363 in the bottom box you should see what is available.

NA list.

Tony.

Chris

Use this page, click on the link to the military records, choose the surname letter you need, and then click on the 'View Film Notes' in the top right hand corner of the next page. You [or the FHC] should be able to work out the right film from there.

LDS Catalogue

Sue

• 2 months later...

I almost forgot about this.

The two rolls of film arrived last week, and out of the seven Overend men I was looking for I found one. I was surprised to find he had been killed, the family had not heard of one of their relatives dying. His records were not complete but they did contain much useful information and they gave the ages and addresses of all his close relatives and the married names of his sisters.

There were not many men called Overend so it only took a little over an hour to check through the films. There were two rolls because the Overends were at the end of one and the beginning of the next roll. It was interesting to be able to read so many different ones.

It was very good of these people to get these films up to Huddersfield for me, and a useful exercise for me. I did not see anything looking like a copier for this, but if you can establish what records do exist, you will find the number and unit in the records. Then any record that is especially important can always be ordered from the National Archives.

I shall do this again sometime soon, there are several men I would like to check for.

Tony.

Hello Tony,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated, but I'm a little confused as to which film reference to apply for. I've just tried and got two references, and don't know which one to request. The first lists those names between Stovold, F.W. to Stovold Thomas; Stow,Albert to Stoyles, Richard Herbert; Stacchino, Ceasere to Strachan, David [2029175], while the second is as follows: Stowe, Alfred John to Stowe, William at 2228186. The name that I'm looking for falls within both groups. Can you advise please--also costs and copying?

Many Thanks,

Dave

PS: The names I am looking for are Ernest and Christopher Stowe

I think if you are in any doubt it makes sense to order both.

The cost of the two films I have just looked at was just over £6 and they can keep the films for at least a month if you need to keep going back to them. I did not see anything that looked like a microfilm printer or copier but then I did not need one, so perhaps I did not look hard enough. A phone call to your local centre should establish what copying facilities they have; Sue Light has posted a link in this thread if you need to find their address and phone number.

The reason it took so long for the films to arrive was because of Christmas, apparently they stop sending films out November and restart in the New Year.

Tony.

Thanks Tony,

I think there is a FHC in Leeds which is connected to the Latter Day Saints. I'll contact them duly. Failing that, I'll have a word with the brother-in-law. He works for the Mormon Church in Solihull.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi when I ordered some WW1 service record films

it said on the side of the box

do not copy or words to that effect.

Teresa

Pete

Use this page - just put the country in the top box, and you'll get a complete alphabetical list.

LDS Family History Centres

Sue

For anyone who wants to use an LDS research centre, remember that some of them are only part time and can be quite small. Staff are all LDS church members and generally speaking (from a few years ago) evening staff tend to be volunteers and might not have the knowledge of resources that the pemanent day time paid staff have. If you phone in the day you will only (could only) make a day time appointment, wanting to visit in the evening required an evening telephone call. Nonetheless a very useful (and underused) research facility with helpful people. An extremely good one in Penns Lane.

Owen Hales

I obtained an index to the BMDs for Tipperary for the year 1867 compiled by the LDS. All names are in alphabetical order. The trouble is that they are absolutely tiny. The only way I can read them is to tape them on to the window and view them through a microscope. Even then they are still tiny. Is there any cheap reader that I can get to read them and look at them in comfort? Is there such a thing as a pocket microfiche reader?

regards.

tom.