Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Marching band?

smsmith26

This is a picture I have just aquired and its is of my grandpa in some form of band uniform. Any input would be welcome. He was part of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Stephen

post-14344-1160891110.jpg

• 4 months later...

Nice photo Stephen.

I hope that some of the experts can give you some more information on it.

Cheers,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still curious about this chappie.

The only cap badge I can find that looks anything like it is Royal Army Corps.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Tony

No expert but I can't see any R. Irish Fus. stuff.

Try forum member ArthurJ ... well into his fusiliers and music. Try a PM to him or to forum member Amanda Moreno of the Royal irish Fus. Museum in Armagh.

Cheers

Des

This is not a RIF bandsman. I may well be wrong but it looks like a boys brigade uniform - was he with them before he joined the Fusiliers ?

My grandpa signed up with his brother in Manchester. They were from Colne, Lancs. They landed at Sulva with the 5th RIF. I have seen the original of this photo and there is nothing on the back. His face looks the same in this drummer pic and another pic of him in his RIF uniform. I don't really know much about the photo. I know he was hit three times in the war and went back into action after all but the last because the war ended. Could he be doing this while recouping?

Stephen

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

This fabulous picture - and the fellow who said it was like Boys Brigade was close - shows a member of the CBB, the Catholic Boys Brigade. There were lots of Brigades for young men back in the early 1900s - Gordon Boys Brigade, Church Lads Brigade, Boys Life Brigade, Jewish Lads Brigade, Imperial Lads Brigade, etc. The badge includes the Papal Arms - same design on the belt buckle as well. Picture shows an officers voided badge - a boys badge was solid. Johnny Conn

post-7658-1246994362.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You Johnny and Dave so much for that info. I'm happy to say that now all the parts of this puzzle have now fallen into place. I'm sorry I have taken so long in responding. I am swamped with a major project. I will be working for my local museum as their military researcher. 1500 glass slides of ww1 soldiers, 18 boxes of paperwork that has never been sorted, all military, plus detailing and researching over 300 3D items in the collection. It seems I have much work ahead. Thanks again.

Stephen

The braid piping on the epaulettes and also on the sleeves is very muted. Usually they were easily seen from a distance to look extra smart. I wonder why these appear so dull as to be almost indistinct? There appears to be some rank stripes as well.

As previously stated, the drum does not appear to be "Army" issue, and the leggings are extremely high and quite tight....

Hope this helps others provide some more info