Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what price for ww1 rifle?

mcfc1923

Jim,

De-activated SMLE's are still available at most good militaria fairs or from dealers advertising in The Armourer or Gun Mart etc. Prices have risen over the last few years but around £175+ should secure a good example of a WW1 dated No.1 MKIII*. More for an earlier example or less of a 'bitsa'.

much appreciated, about the price i expected.

regards

jim

Whatever you do, don't go to the same dealer I did. £350! For a 1915 Mk111

post-3297-1159393500.jpg

Lee Enfields in the US are about $150-$200 or so. We're extremely lucky that we can actually fire them. My Lee Enfield is a 1915 dated one with bayonet. My dad gave it to me a couple years ago knowing my interest in WWI/WWII. He is a loooong time gun collector. I used to take it out of the closet as a kid from time to time. I got to fire it this last year and it's got a kick to it!!

-Ski

post-14863-1159412695.jpg

Oh Boy ... it's reading posts like this that makes me realise how lucky we are Down Under.

Many people whinge about our gun laws, but from my perspective the guns that are banned (M16s, AKs etc) are not what I would want for the collection anyway.

Good SMLEs are relatively plentiful and cheap, with intact examples being available for as little as AUD$150 (that's about 60 quid).

Sure, most you encounter are post World War II Lithgow FTRs (Factory Thorough Repairs) with only the ghost of the original rifle remaining, but if you sort through the SMLEs you encounter you find the odd treasure.

I have only two intact Great War rifles in my collection - a 1912 Short Rifle MkII trainers and a 1913 BSA No1MkIII which was issued to the 1/5th Gurkhas in 1914 and almost cetainly lost to the Turks at Gallipoli.

I acquired these two rifles for less than the cost that you'd pay for a deactivated rifle in Britain and, even better, both these old warhorses can be taken out to a range and fired!

Following is a pic of me at the rifle after I fired the Gurkha rifle, possibly for the first time in 90 years, last ANZAC Day ... some people may question firing such a treasure, but the way I see it the rifle is well and truly used and, seeing that it was captured two years in to its service and stored very well, is in perfectly sound condition.

I've actually made up a special batch of 215 grain bullets for it because it is still sighted for the old MkVI ammunition.

post-8287-1159574798.jpg

The price is so steep here because we are daft enough to pay the prices

Off to Bisley Soon to Fire My SMLE and try out my Brother in Laws KAR 98...cant wait,havent been for a while,and am missing having a sore Shoulder.

You cannot really compare between the purchase of a live fire weapon which is restricted and licensed and the purchase of a de-act which is not and open to anyone. Like anything it's supply and demand - the market dictates the price, SMLE's were around £100 less than 10 years ago. Like all 14-18 militaria there has been a huge rise in collectors and a corresponding fall in availability of good militaria.

Depends what you class as a relic. In respect of firearms it's a very complicated business but a legally deactivated rifle or any gun is technically not classed as a weapon anymore and can be owned by anyone regardless. Most country's gun laws are complicated, ours more than anyone's but (generalising) to own any of the controlled weapons a FAC is required. Automatic weapons and handguns are totally banned (bar certain muzzle loading pistols), rifles, shotguns and black powder weapons amongst others are controlled.

If you have a few hours spare, wade thorough this lot!

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-p...pdf?view=Binary

In the US, most places require you to register your guns if purchased through a licenced dealer. If you privately purchase a gun, then registration is generally not required. Again, this depends on which state you live in. Some cities have thier own laws as well. for example, guns are banned in NYC.

Fully automatic guns require a Class III license, and a VERY thorough backround check is required, as are all gun purchases these days.

Now this is where it gets complicated. As far as deactivated fire-arms go, plugging the barrel with a cross bar is sufficient, however, you MUST destroy the reciever of any unlicensed automatic weapons to classify them as non-guns. See, in the UK, the barrel is the key part of a gun, so, for example, to deactivate a Bren, you just have to plug the barrel and cut a 45 degree angle off of the bolt. I had a deactivated Bren when I was stationed over in the UK with the USAF. My dad warned me not to even try to bring it to the US since the reciever is considered the gun here in the US. If caught, I could of gotten jail time. For that Bren to be legal as a non-gun in the states, a 1/2 " cut must be made straight through the reciever. Here in the states, most display MG's have fake machined recievers since welding back the original pieces gives a gun a peculular look to it. I can't tell you how mad I was over this at the time!

-Ski

im sorry to hear that,collecting is one part the rifle/pistol,one part researching it,and one part shooting

how do they deactivate them,drill or cut receivers,or weld the throat?

how do they deactivate them,drill or cut receivers,or weld the throat?

[This is a cut and paste from a post I made in a previous topic]

The laws for deacs changed in in 1995 - basically becoming more stringent. These are the main points not the letter of law but off the top of my head! (depending on the type of weapon): For the most part the firing pin is removed and/or the bolt chamfered off at an angle, a portion of the barrel must be pinned and welded and a tight fitting bar welded in place. A portion of the chamber and barrel must be cut away (usually hidden), the barrel must be overbored - a section at the end can be left. The barrel must be pinned/welded to the receiver. In addition to all this: Revolvers must have the chambers 'opened up' and a 'ring' or set of dummy rounds welded into the chambers. Self-loading pistols need the slide ramps cut away. Sub-machine guns and other automatic weapons (AK47's etc) must also have the action welded shut and hence they do not have moving parts. This does not apply to light or heavy MG's. Therfore they all have moving parts - Bren's, MG42's etc.

Before '95 a revolver did not have the 'ring' and dummy round could be chambered. Automatic weapons did not have to have the action welded and had 'moving parts' - these are obviously much more desirable as they can be 'cocked' and 'fired' A pre-95 deac will cost three times a post '95. Say £500+ for an M3 or Sten vs £175 for a welded example. SMLE and other rifles are really no different pre or post '95 and still have moving parts.

Most SMLE's are done quite sympathetically and are a pleasure to own. The cut away areas are hidden under the wood - the end of the barrel is left open. The bolt is cut away as above but can still be removed as can the magazine etc. The 'weapon' can be 'cocked' and 'fired'. You can still load inert rounds into the magazine but they will not of course cycle through the breech. All appropiate parts will be proof house marked.

A sample of what can be owned:

http://www.rytonarms.co.uk/shop/shop.php

More related topics here too:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;highlite=bolt