Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/4thBn east yorkshire regiment {george e boshier 42104}

Guest viaductmax

Guest viaductmax

Hi this is my first post i am trying to find some info on a great uncle who died on the 27th of may 1918 at the battle of soissons that is the only info i have and that he was 19 years young, he was born in east hendread in berks now oxon .

I have been reading some letters he sent my great grand mother and they are terribly sad saying he wants his bike left to a young lad in the village and how he thinks he will never pick cherries again so i thought i would try and find out how and roughly where he died as nothing was ever recovered like so many others.

And finally why a yorks regiment instead of a berks

Hello Richard,

Welcome to the forum. There is a long thread on the battle of the Aisne, 27th May 1918. Type in Aisne in the search facillity and you will find out more about the battle that your relative was killed in.

You could also click below and this should take you to the Aisne/ Chemin des Dames Thread

Click Here

I have done quite a bit of research on the events of 27th May- if you need more information contact me at:

blanchie@btinternet.com

I would be interested in finding out more about your relation. Do you have a photograph?

Regards

David

Do you have his details from the CWGC:

Name: BOSHIER, GEORGE E.

Initials: G E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: East Yorkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/05/1918

Service No: 42104

Additional information: Son of George and Louisa Ann Boshier, of Hill Farm, East Hendred, Steventon, Berks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: SOISSONS MEMORIAL

Richard,

1/4th East Yorkshire Regiment 27 May 1918

When the storm of gas and H.E. shell broke over the 50th Division at 1 a.m., on 27th, the 1/4th East Yorkshires of the 150th Brigade (the left Battalion of the left Brigade of the Division), were disposed as follows: "A" Company held the front line, " B " was in close support in Trench Falaise, " C " had moved from La Hutte (Brigade H.Q.) to P-C. Verdun (in Craonne) at the disposal of the 5th Green Howards (on the right of the i/4th East Yorkshires), " D " was in support in P.C. Marais. For two and a-half hours the tornado swept the whole divisional area, causing many casualties and practically destroying the trenches.

No hostile infantry attack developed against the 150th Brigade front from the north, but as a result of the successful advance made by the enemy on the right portion of the divisional front and through the French division on the left, the Craonne Plateau, by 6.30 a.m., was enveloped on both flanks. The right of the 5th Green Howards had been overrun by 4 a.m. The smoke and dust hid from the O.Ps. on the Plateau the course of the battle, and all overground communication had been broken, only the buried cables held, and the only report received by Brigade H.Q. was from the CO. of the 5th Green Howards, about 5.45 a.m., which stated that his H.Q. Company was then fighting around his Command Post, and that they appeared to be surrounded. No news was received from the I/4th East Yorkshires, and it is possible that the majority of the latter were overwhelmed at about that time.

The Diary of the 1/4th Battalion states that the Battalion was completely disorganised and rearguard actions were fought by isolated parties who managed to escape and work their way back to the River Aisne and the bridge at Maizy, " the number which succeeded in crossing being very small,"

Even the Q.M., with his personnel and transport details, who attempted to defend the crossings at Maizy, was forced to withdraw and abandon all stores, regimental records and vehicles.

About 100 men of several units (including some of the 1/4th East Yorkshires) fought rearguard actions to Fismes, which held for some little time, a retirement being made through a line held by French troops. The last entry in the Battalion Diary, dated 28th/31st, reads as follows: "Ceased to act as a battalion, but remnants of brigade details acted as a composite battalion under the command of Lieut.-Colonel N. W. Stead. Total strength representing this Battalion, 4 officers and 105 other ranks," the survivors of 30 officers and 642 other ranks, the strength of the Battalion at midnight 26th/27th just before the enemy's attack.

Regards Charles

• 7 years later...

Just spotted this thread. Two things:

1. Am researching Pte Alfred E Woolford 1/4th Bn East Yorks Regt KIA 27/5/1918 and from Wantage nr Hendred. He has a similar WW1 career to Pte Boshier. They probably knew each other. Albert was also in the Berkshire Yeomanry before being transferred to the East Yorks.
  2. Also researching Pte R W S Corbett 2nd Northants who was taken POW on 27/5/1918. If anyone has any accounts of men from the 2nd Northants taken prisoner during this battle please let me know. I have seen the other thread regarding the 1918 Battle of the Aisne which is most illuminating on what happened on the 27 May 1918.

Thank you

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Trevor,

I have quite a bit of information about this battle. Send me a pm

David