Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gun Trench, Hulloch and the Quarries

mcderms

I am trying to find more info on the attack of the 2nd RWR on the first day of Loos. I understand that these are the positions they attacked, losing 70% of their strength including my GGF (WIA). Can anyone point me at more info and pics? Anyone got any pics of the site today?

Thanks in advance :D

I am trying to find more info on the attack of the 2nd RWR on the first day of Loos. I understand that these are the positions they attacked, losing 70% of their strength including my GGF (WIA). Can anyone point me at more info and pics? Anyone got any pics of the site today?

Thanks in advance :D

Hi,

Sorry but you do not give your first name. I recently returned from Loos and got access to the Double Crassier which overlooks Hulluch and the rest of the battlefield. There aqre no trenches left to see but you can see evidence of where they were in the recently ploughed fields. Hulluch quarry is still visible. If you give me your email address I will send you some photos of the area. Do you know where your GGF was buried?

Mike

2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

22nd Brigade

7th Division

Check out:

Oblique aerial photographs of the Northern Sector of Loos Battlefield taken in August 2003, by Howard Anderson, including Cité St Elie and Hulluch at

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...chy/cuinchy.htm

Paul Reed’s website at

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/loos.htm

Trench map “Hulluch December 1915” at

http://pathsofglory.co.uk/Trenchmap%20extracts%202.htm

Attached:

Hulluch Quarries trench map 1916

regards

Richard

post-1376-1158863059.jpg

Regarding 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, the book:

The Seventh Division 1914 - 1918

by C.T. Atkinson

ISBN: 1843421194

http://www.naval-military-press.com

is an excellent reference.

Chapter IX, pages 199 to 232 covers the battle of Loos regarding the 7th Division and the participation of the Warwicks.

Attached:

Map 19 from page 229 and 7th Division Loos casualty figures from page 231

regards

Richard

post-1376-1158866205.jpg

22nd Brigade were the northernmost section of 7th Division, to the 9th's right. My Grandfather was in XXXV Brigade RFA, which supported 22nd Brigade during the battle. Owing to the flat nature of the ground, the guns were positioned behind the Vermelles-Cuinchy ridge, about 3,000 yards from the front line.

I'm visitng the area soon and have found the IGN Carte Bleu 2405E (Lens) a great help in planning the trip. It's at a scale of 1:25000 so has a lot of detail, showing Cite St Elie and The Quarries very clearly.

Keith

2nd Warwicks casualties 25th September 527 from the 17 officers and 650men who went in.

Report from a Captain C Swinhoe -regretfully not known which Company he was with- does a Pal know, on pages 93 to 94 of Most Unfavourable Ground. Also some war time pctures of the area in the book.

Helen

I do not know the answer to your question.

From page 223 and 224, The Seventh Division 1914 – 1918, by C.T. Atkinson, ISBN: 1843421194

“During the night of September 26th/27th some readjustment was effected, what was left of the 20th Brigade being relieved by the 21st, …...

Of the 20th Brigade only the Borders were left on the German side of what had been No Man’s Land, the remnants of the other battalions being back in the old British lines, reorganizing as far as possible.”

Attached:

Map 17 – LOOS: THE DISPOSITION FOR ATTACK

From page 211

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1159528428.jpg