Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Resizing photos !&&**^%*)()

Martin Perry

Help!!

Obviously a complete technophobe, but I'm struggling to understand how to resize photos to post on the forum.. Just got back from a great trip and would love to share some of the sights but just dont know how to!!

Tried looking at the help section here but doesn't help me...duh!!

Can anyone give me a quick step by step guide please? Using XP and have FinePix, Photo and HP Image Zone at my disposal by the look of it - probably very easy, but how on earth do I go about resizing?..

Frustrated from Northampton

AKA

Martin

Change them into jpeg format (if not already), then reduce the dots per inch (dpi) resolution to something like 75 or 100 (if not already at that size). Re-size them to some useful physical size, depending on what it is, i.e. you don't want an image 30 cm square (but if you've reduced dpi it will be smaller anyway). Then save as jpeg format trying different compression ratios until you get an accceptable balance of resulting file size and picture quality, e.g. 50% or so.

Or something like that....

Are you running Microsoft Office? If you are Microsoft Office Picture Manager has a niffty re-size picture function...

Regards,

Neil.

There's also a very simple program available ( free)

search it with Google:

"PIXRESIZER"

free download

Marnik

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for delay - been away on business for a couple of weeks....work always gets in the way doesn't it?

Just got your suggestion for Pixresizer Marnik, and have just downloaded it. Looks to be just what I need - thank you very much!!

I'll get the pics on the forum as soon as I can, but work's pulling me away again until early next week so I'm going to have to find some time next week.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Kind regards

Martin

It took me a little while to get the hang of this re-sizing caper, and occasionally I still stumble. Nearly all the images I post are crops of old postcards, and in some cases the crop itself suffices to get the size right - my last effort was immediately a third of the maximum size permitted by the Forum, but some other, smaller, crops need extra work, as suggested by bmac. I haven't worked out why this should be - is it something to do with the density of the original? (A colour postcard took a lot of work.)

I use HP Director, whose Image Zone, as far as I can see, doesn't give the byte size of the picture one's working on, so I have to save it into My Scans and check the size there in Properties, and then return to Image Zone for further re-sizing if required. (Cue for patient, helpful tips if I'm missing something here.)

Moonraker

Yeahbutnobut...I've got every graphics prog known to man, but I still can't work out how a JPEG which says it's 147k appears as 66k after attachment, with the annoying message that I've still got 'x' number of k left to me. If I'm resizing in, say, Corel Photopaint, what's the maximum filesize which will then squeeze into a GWF attachment?

If you use a 400 pixel width and make sure that the ratio aspect is enabled (most programmes should do that anyway) it will fit nicely. You can get away with 600 pixels without too much problem. Just experiment a little.

Terry Reeves

There is a simple free, non invasive small size (easy download even on dial up) program called image enhance which does simple image resizing - although I use other packages I keep this on the desk top as it is simple and straightforward.

You can find it at Image Enhance

I would recommend it to all as a good tool for this simple task - just set the appropriate image width (say 350 pixels) and you are away.