Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service & wound stripes?

Gordon Caldecott

Hi,

Can anyone explain to me the concept of service and wound stripes? They seem to come in different colours, etc.

A wound stripe was a Gold Russian lace {brass} strip worn vertically close @ the left wrist of the tunic,Long service & overseas Chevrons were Red Or Blue I believe & worn on the right sleeve

The red stripe is for 1914 service, the blue ones for each years overseas service post 1914

So this speciman covers the whole war 14 - 18 worn on lower right sleeve

Rodge

It seems that they were meant for the duration of war. I think that in WW2 similar badges were used to highlight a soldiers' service overseas (white and red in colour, I hope that someone can give further details).

Gloria

Thank you Gloria, thats very interesting. Can anyone else tell me more?

I forgot to mention: The red chevron was for 1914 (Therefore it was worn by those of the old Regular army and the first Territorials sent to France). Also, these chevrons were instituted in 1918, so if you see a photo of a soldier wearing them, it is a 1918 or later picture.

I don't know at what point a soldier was given an overseas chevron, so I hope someone can give further info (i.e. when a soldier who went overseas for the first time in 1918, did he receive the blue chevron 1) As he landed in France -or somewhere else-? 2) After he had been a few weeks in Etaples -or similar- and sorted out to a particular unit? or 3) after the Armistice?)

Gloria

Just taking this one step further if I may. I believe in WW2 they had the same award, this time the stripes were red, but the first one appears to be white, can anyone tell me what this means?

In WW2, and the years before, there were good conduct badges (in the form of an inverted chevron worn on the left lower sleeve).

The qualifying priods were:

1 chevron - 2 years

2 chevrons - 5 years

3 chevrons - 12 years

4 chevrons - 16 years

5 chevrons - 21 years

6 chevrons - 26 years

7 chevrons - 32 years

8 chevrons - 38 years

9 chevrons - 43 years

10 chevrons - 48 years

These were huge things, pretty much identical to NCOs chevrons and, as I said, worn on the LEFT lower forearm. The overseas service chevrons referred-to in this topic were instituted in 1918 and were much smaller, worn on the RIGHT forearm, to the best of my knowledge. I have seen some references mixing the two up.

There is (or was) a tunic in the Devon & Dorset museum for a chap who served from 1917 to 1964 and who had ten good conduct badges! He had 47 years good conduct, which is one less than the regs stated he should have had in order to wear ten. Perhaps he was especially good one year!

These bore no relation to overseas service. They were worn by those below the rank of Corporal (or equivalent) as Corporals and above were deemed to be jolly good chaps anyway, otherwise they wouldn't have been promoted.

They continued to be worn after WW2 but have pretty much died out now, apart from a few regiments. As to overseas chevrons being awarded in WW2, I have no knowledge I'm afraid.

In the Great War, our period:

The Pay Warrant 1912 amd. to 1914 para 1081 et seq., and KR and amendments etc, give 2 [3 for colonial-raised regiments such as West Africa Regt.], 5 [6 for colonial], 12, 18, 23, 28.

After 14 years without crime, the higher badges [officially 'Good Conduct Badges'] could be accelerated by 2 years each.

I have never seen regulations for more than six badges, although undoubtedly they have been worn.

The material and size is identical to NCO chevron, but worn [heraldically correctly for a chevron] point up.

Not to be worn by full corporals or equivalent.

Not [except for colonials] attracting extra pay [since the introduction of 'Proficiency Pay'] c. 1905.

Certain Commonwealth countries appear to have awarded one per year during the war, most likely Australia.

The Guards continue to wear them.

Over the years, the qualifying periods have varied greatly.

I would be most interested in learning the source quoted for WW2.

It's from "British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two", Brian L Davis, Arms & Armour Press.

He usually quotes chapter and verse of the regs, but in this particular section he doesn't, apart from a reference to the fact that the sets of chevrons could be obtained in sets of up to five, for which he quotes:

"Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries, 1936" amended to 1939, Section CS, page 44".

He does state, "the qualification for these badges was contained in the Pay Warrant" (although what date, he doesn't say).

Thank you. I have access to the Pay Warrants [indeed I have the Davis book you quote] but I only get to Cambridge quarterly AND I HAVE JUST BEEN!

As and when I dig it out, I will post it.