Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ouch!

MelPack

William Angus VC received 40 wounds while rescuing Lt Martin!

Get a lump in my thorat everytime I read that one. Williams VC group is displayed alongside Lt Martins medals at the National War Museum in Edinburgh Castle.

Re: William Angus VC:

"The bravest deed done in the history of the British Army."

Lt Col Gemmill, Givenchy 1915

That's quite some accolade!

Roxy

I'd have to agree with that I reckon

Barrie,

Can you confirm when Lt Martin was awarded the MC(for Valour Site)?

According to the 8th Royal Scots it was 14/1/1916.

George

Depends how big a wound you are talking about

22 pieces of shrapnel could cause wounds that heal in a few weeks if they where small enough

I think this is the gazette entry

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

No citation as of yet though. What book are you using? Is it the 8th Royal Scots war diary?

Barrie

Barrie,

It is their History,written for the local Paper,in 1919.

It lists the awards and some dates when they were gazetted e.g.7709. Cpl W. Angus V.C. 29/06/1915,

Lt J. Martin M.C. 14/01/1916.

I read the For Valour Article of the Officers accompanying Cpl Angus when he returned to Carluke removing their Medals.I've heard this before and know it is fact.

I just wondered if Lt Martin did remove his M.C. as I assumed Cpl Angus would have returned to Carluke before January 1916.

George

p.s. of academic interest to you.My Uncle was a Machine Gun Cpl or Sgt in the 8th Royal Scots in June 1915 so is likely to have given supporting fire.

Hi George

Interesting you should mention your uncle being present at the action. When I was working on an exhibition for the battale of the somme, one of the men we were writing about was from the 8th Royal Scots, and he died on 26th July 1916 - when I was doing some newspaper searches I found an article that mentioned him being present at the action where Angus won his VC - his name was Sergeant William Fraser and he was a Territorial before the war. Small world innit :)

Barrie

Barrie,

The History records

"Supported by covering rifle and machine-gun fire,No 7709,L/Cpl W.Angus crept forward,and succeeded in rousing Lt.Martin,who managed to reach our line in spite of heavy bombing by the enemy.L/Cpl Angus also got back,though severely wounded"

My Uncle, Cpl/Sgt(not sure of his rank at the time) George S. Souness was a pre-War member of the Maxim Gun Team and when killed in 1918 was only one of two members of the Team remaining who went to France in 1914.

I have no idea how the machine-guns were deployed on 12th June 1915 and who was manning them so I can only say he may have participated and witnessed the event.

George

p.s. Have you seen the Marchbank Thread?They seem to be quite a volatile mix the 8th H.L.I. and 8th Royal Scots.The bravest and the youngest in one composite Battalion.Wonder why they became Pioneers?I know, they were handy men to have around :lol:

The Royal Scots history gives quite a good account of the action, but nothing more than whats already been said above - be interested to see what the war diary says about it.

From the sounds of it those territorial boys sure knew how to fight! :)

Here's a nice pic of William Angus and James Martin.

post-9547-1156262103.jpg

Barrie,

Re-fighting.They also knew when to take a holiday :lol:

The History I've got makes no mention of their "rest day" on 25/12/1914.

George