Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King Edwards Horse

Andrew P

At the National Archives of Australia recently I have found reference to a soldier from Fremantle who served in the Kings Edwards Horse. There was a telegram sent back to his wife in Fremantle stating that he had been wounded on the 04/04/1918.

Can anyone tell me what area his unit was in on that date?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew 1 KEH were heavily involved in the Battle of the Lys commencing 09/04/18. They were cavalry/reconnaisance for XI Corps (Lt Gen Haking) - the corps HQ opened at Hinges on 16/03/18. 1 KEH moved forward to Lacouture in the early hours of 09/04/18. So if your man was 1 KEH then around the X! corps area on 04/04/18.

Not sure where 2 KEH were at the time. A Saddler WSR Chubb of 2 KEH died on 30/03/18 and is buried at Les Baraques, Sangatte.

In August of 1917, 2nd King Edward's Horse, which had been serving as the corps cavalry regiment of XIV Corps, was disbanded.

The reserve squadron of 2nd King Edward's Horse, which was stationed in Ireland, was later expanded to form a new regiment. I'm not sure, however, whether this was an 'operational' regiment or a reserve regiment. Neither do I know what name it bore.

Only two more members of 2 KEH were to die after Chubb during the war if SDGW is to be believed, and both died at home. This perhaps indicates that they were not operational in France. And if not, then around Hinges!

I have a medal to a chap in the King Edwards Horse, he is Pte 1506 W. Morris, his medal index card states he served in France from 16.10.15 and he later joined the Tank Corps. I was told some of the Regiment was absorbed into the Tanks but am unsure about this. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Mike.

Andrew,

I haven't got my books with me at the moment so this is a recollection to the best of my knowledge.

The unit was initially called The King's Colonials, was part of the Imperial Yeomanry and was formed by colonials living in London. Each squadron was formed formed from men of the same general country/area and had their own squadron badge on the turned up side of the slouch hat as well as common unit badge on the front of the hat. (The squadrons were British American, British African, British Asian, and Australasian - which later split to form an Australian squadron and a New Zealand Squadron). They became one of the TF Yeomanry regiments in 1908.

In 1909 they were renamed King Edward's Horse and adopted a new common style hat badge which reflected all of the countries of the Empire the members were from.

In 1914-15 another unit was raised calling themselves 2nd King Edwards Horse. They were a badge almost the same as the KEH except the name 2nd KEH at the top.

Apparantly the members of The King Edwards Horse never recognised 2KEH as being a KEH unit and continued to refer to themselves as KEH rather than 1st KEH. I would think your man was an Australian living in London who was a member of this Yeomanry Regiment.

Regards

Crunchy

Thanks Crunchy for your help, if you know anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know as there is so little written about this unit.

Regards.

Mike.

Andrew,

Actually there is a published histyory of this unit (certainly in London libraries, possibly in Oz too ??)

James, L, 1921, The history of King Edward’s Horse (The King’s Oversea Dominions Regiment), Sifton, Praed & Co., London.

I only looked this up because I know that they were in a train crash returning from Italy to the western front, on 12th March 1918. My grandfather had been in a similar crash.

Julian

Thanks Crunchy for your help, if you know anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know as there is so little written about this unit.

Regards.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

My pleasure. The book Julian has mentioned would be a good source. My info has come from ""Kipling and King" and "Gaylor" which are badge collecting books.

I am off to Europe tomorrow for six weeks (including the Western Front) so will off the forum for a while.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris & Julian

Thanks for that extra info on KIng Edward's Horse. I couldn't find Albert Moore in the list of the Imperial Reservists who left Australia for England at the beginning of the war so it would make sense that he was already in London. His wife was living in Fremantle during the war.

I'll try and track that book down.

Cheers

Andrew

In August of 1917, many of the men made available by the disbanding of 2nd King Edward's Horse joined the Tank Corps.

By the way, my source for all information provided on King Edward's Horse is E.A. James, British Regiments, (London: Naval and Military Press, 1993)

One may have found the Tanks slightly earlier; I think that 2Lt John Allan was initially a Pte soldier (1427) in King Edwards Horse, date of commission unknown but later transferred to Hy Sect MGC (LG 26 Apr 1916). Awarded the MC for conspicuous gallantry in action at Courcellette on 15th September whilst commanding Tank C6 (Cordon Rouge).

Can you let me know if there are any other details of his life before Mar 1916?

By the way, he survived the war having become a company commander with 6th Bn and being injured in the final push, whilst supporting the Americans

The medal I have to the chap in the King Edward Horse states he transferred to the Tanks on his MIC, I can now see the connection as stated by Hoplophile.

Mike.

Andrew,

Actually there is a published histyory of this unit (certainly in London libraries, possibly in Oz too ??)

James, L, 1921, The history of King Edward’s Horse (The King’s Oversea Dominions Regiment), Sifton, Praed & Co., London.

I only looked this up because I know that they were in a train crash returning from Italy to the western front, on 12th March 1918. My grandfather had been in a similar crash.

Julian

Found a copy of this at a bookseller in Australia and have ordered it. Though may have to live on bread and water for the rest of the week :D

Cheers

Andrew

Bit off topic, but would this be the same King Edwards Horse, that equestrians use to remember where the marker are on a Dressage arena?

All King Edwards Horse Can Manage Big Fences - have a look next time dressage is on Sky Sports!

Angela :)

• 4 weeks later...
At the National Archives of Australia recently I have found reference to a soldier from Fremantle who served in the Kings Edwards Horse. There was a telegram sent back to his wife in Fremantle stating that he had been wounded on the 04/04/1918.

Can anyone tell me what area his unit was in on that date?

Regards

Andrew

I can help with any KEH questions you have pls feel free to contact me.

Regards

PN

I am sure there has been a topic on this unit before because I remember posting a reply saying that in the Territorial Year Book 1909 mention is made of the Kings Colonials Yeomanry under the entry for the County of London,but it also says that the unit had a squadron at liverpool administered by the County of London ( Territorial ) association. but I have never found any other reference anywhere to this Liverpool Squadron.

I would be most interested in anybody has any other information on it

Peter Brydon

post-13272-1158421918.jpg

Is this a King Edwards Horse, badge ? (reproduction???) I have had it for a number of years. Bought it at a junk shop in london for £2. If its a repro ? why bother ? obviously there was no money to be made from making them ?

I can help with any KEH questions you have pls feel free to contact me.

Regards

PN

Hi My Great Grandfather served with The King Edwards Horse 1914 to 1919 (551 Trooper Henry G White)

I had a brief description of his service record sent to me by the MOD in 1993 but have not found the original document at the PRO (wo 363).

He re-enlisted at Alexander Palace 12.8.14 (aged 53 - he was an ex regular 2nd Dragoon Guards)

The KEH was shipped to France 1/6/15

He returned from France 15.4.17 and went back 23.2.18, would like to know why he returned? was it because he was wounded?

The 2nd KEH was formed by Sir John Norton-Griffiths on the 24th Aug 1914, who apparently put in £40,000 of his own money for horses & kit (from the book "Tunnel-master & arsonist of the Great war - the Norton griffiths Story")

The 2nd KEH were in Italy at some stage of the war I believe.