Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ginchy Diamond & "A" Parchment

Michelle Young

• Admin

I was having a look at the magnificent Great Western Railway roll of honour at Bristol Temple Meads station on Saturday. On the roll, it mentions the amount of awards to GWR staff, and one of the awards mentioned was Ginchy Diamond. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks, Michelle :blink:

I seem to remember (but I can check when I get home) that 16th (Irish) Division had a diamond shaped cloth "battle badge" in green cloth, which was awarded to soldiers as a mark that they had distinguished themselves in some way. 16th Division fought at Ginchy so I wonder if this could be what is meant by "Ginchy Diamond"?

• 2 years later...

On the Great Western Railway Roll of Honour, printed versions, there is a panel that lists the number of awards made to GWR employees. There are two I don't recognize or understand. One person was awarded the 'Ginchy Diamond' and another two people were awarded the "A" Parchment. On the face of it I know which one I would want! However I can find no information on what these awards were for and who made them. Is there anybody out there who has come across either of these before and has been able to find out? There is no indication in the Roll as to who received the awards.

Thanks hopefully, Martin Bashforth

Thanks I have found the previous threads now and it seems to be still a question hanging in the air. I have enquired through the National Army Museum and am awaiting a full reply, but initial opinion is as puzzled as I am. I note that someone has suggested these might be lower divisional awards, but without knowing to whom the Ginchy Diamond was awarded, it is difficult to know where next to search. I have done a summary search through the GWR magazine for the period and have found no reference so far, though I have found a reference to some being awarded 'a parchment' in 1919. I guess I know which staff magazine I will be indexing next!

Martin

• 1 month later...

In the book related to this website http://www.tellthemofus.org.uk/ page 164-165.

Sergeant EE Burge MiD served in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. One of three sons who served, of Mr & Mrs Burge of 29 Omdurman Street. Joining up in September 1914, he was sent out to the Dardanelles with his Battalion where he was wounded. He returned to active service to France. He was mentioned in despatches in Mid-November at Cambrai. He was awarded the 'Ginchy Diamond' the highest distinction available in the Irish division. (It came in the form of a green diamond shaped ribbon worn on the right arm.) He worked in the GWR as a painter. His two brothers were Edward Guy Burge and Harry J Burge.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Owen D. A workmate got to your reply before I did and I have passed the information on to the person who set me off on this quest. The book you refer to looks a really good one: for anyone pikcing this up, it is "Tell Them of Us: Remembering Swindon's Sons of the Great War" by Mark Sutton.