Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Barker - Cavalry or Muleteer?

Arthur J

Can any of the pals help identify the unit this man served with.

I have been approached by a local family who are building their family tree. On this occasion the soldier is known, but the family do not know which unit he served with. The information I have been given is as follows.

“This is a picture of Frederick (Fred) Barker, born 1892.

He was one of five brothers who served in the British Army.

Harry Barker – born 1885. He and Fred often talked about their mules.

Joseph Barker – born 25 September 1879. Was wounded at Ypres and sent to the Curragh outside Dublin to recover and then invalided out of the service.

The Family address was 67 Belmont Road Belfast.”

I have since been told that the other two brothers may have served with the US army – but this has to be confirmed.

A review of the MIC indicates there are 212 Frederick/Fred Barkers; over 100 Joseph Barkers, and lots of Harry/Henry Barkers.

Therefore my request can anyone identify the unit he served with, and then we can whittle out a fair number of the MIC’s

Sorry computer was playing up and would not let me add the photo

<_<

I am dragging this thread back to the top of the tree just in case it has been missed. To date no one has been able to help, and as I am posting this as a favour for a friend I am anxious to trace the unit that Fred served with.

Thanks

Hello

Can you get a good close up of the cap badge ?

Ian

I have already scanned and enhanced photo. Will try again tonight.

Meanwhile I will have a go at the link provided by Phil.

Thanks again

Arthur J

A very strange photo indeed, infact my impressions are Irish Army post WWI, rather than British Army, and it's the cut of the tunic, which gives me that impression.

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

Now you have given me something to think about. However, the family did not mention the prospect of having served post WW1 with the Irish Army, and the (limited) family history to date has all five brothers serving in the Great War, three with British units, two with US units.

But I will not close the door and will consider this option.

Thanks again

Arthur J

AS promised here is a close up of the badge. Hope it helps

Arthur J

post-7376-1154381408.gif

Arthur,

Here is an illustration of the cap badge of the Irish Army. My instincts are telling me that isn't a British Army tunic, because it has no "stand-up/fall down" collar to the tunic whereas I believe the "stand-up" collar was a common feature in the tunic of the Irish Free State Army. It's possible that one of the brothers may have served in the Irish Army prior to moving to the States.

Graham.

post-7376-1154381681.jpg

Arthur,

A typical British Army tunic worn during WWI right up to the late 1930's with modifications, but always with the "stand-up/fall down collar".

Graham.

Arthur,

Have hunted the internet for a decent photo of an Irish Free State Army photo, but can't find any decent one's. In one taken during the Civil War it shows two I.F.S.A. snipers and prominent are those gaiters. The uniform itself was of a greenish hue and not khaki as with the British uniform, so I'm 100% certain it's Irish Free State Army c.1920's.

Graham.

:(

Hi all, and especially Graham,

The evidence certainly is now pointing to the photo being post WW1 and that the uniform is IFSA. I have asked the family to consider this and is there any recollection of serving in the Irish Army.

The reason for the sad smiley is that we will not be able to identify from the photo which British unit he served with.

Thanks again

Arthur J