Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Service badges

trenchwalker

What is the story behind them can any body tell what type of service you have to to to earn one etc.

many thanks

Mart

Members of the Territorial Force (Territorial Army) were only engaged for home defence and therefore could not serve abroad. Around 1910 a scheme was introduced whereby TF soldiers could volunteer to serve abroad in times of need, the "Imperial Service" commitment. They were entitled to wear the Imperial Service badge on the right breast and if I recall they were paid a little premium (but I'm not 100% on that).

Regards,

Neil

At the start of WW1 when it was decided the BEF was not going to be big enough and Kitchener's New Armies would need 'X' amount of time before being ready for active service. The Territorial Force which had been called up and started their Home Service duties on guarding the coastal areas were asked to volunteer to serve overseas. If a certain amount of the rank and file voted yes (a rough guess say 90%) Then they were allowed to wear the Imperial Service Badge. I only think they wore it over here in the UK, not when they went on active service.

terry

The badge is technically a 'tablet', officially introduced by AO 3 of 1910 as 'Imperial Service Badge'.

It attracted no extra payment, and carried a liability to serve overseas in time of national emergency. I know of no regulation to remove it on active service, but photos of it in that contect are rare.

A soldier could not, until later in the war, be compelled to serve overseas except with his unit, and the original criterion was that 90% of the unit must hold the badge. That soon crumbled!

post-5914-1152822756.jpg

Hi pals,

Just bringing this up to the top again to ask an expert about the attached photo.

Would anyone have an educated guess of the identity of the badges on the

right breast pockets of the soldiers standing far left and far right.

If these are the Imperial Service Badges mentioned on the original post then

I can positively identify my GU as he enlisted in 1911.

Regards

Simon.

Grumpy,

Thanks,

Simon.

• 4 years later...

The badge is technically a 'tablet', officially introduced by AO 3 of 1910 as 'Imperial Service Badge'.

It attracted no extra payment, and carried a liability to serve overseas in time of national emergency. I know of no regulation to remove it on active service, but photos of it in that contect are rare.

A soldier could not, until later in the war, be compelled to serve overseas except with his unit, and the original criterion was that 90% of the unit must hold the badge. That soon crumbled!

Extract from Andrew Rawson's 'British Army Handbook 1914-1918':

"Overseas Commitment

Over 17,500 Territorial soldiers had already committed themselves to overseas service by signing the Imperial Service Obligation, and on 15 September [1914] the rest were given the opportunity to volunteer. Battalions would be designated 'General Service' if over 60% of the men volunteered and came under war office control when new recruits had increased the numbers to 25% over establishment."

Hope this helps

What is the story behind them can any body tell what type of service you have to to to earn one etc.

many thanks

Mart

Mart,

Here are the "Conditions of Service" for the Imperial Service Badge - from my grandfather's service record. He enlisted in a Territorial artillery unit on 7th September 1914 and signed the agreement on the same day.

post-28407-049316100 1285740087.jpg

More of the conditions.

[/qu

Condition 2 was certainly breached very quickly.

The conditions agreed to by the Terrier to serve overseas were "in accordance with provisions of Section XIII (2) (a) of the the Territorial and Reserves Forces Act, 1907".

Peter.