Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help on French Raquette Grenades

Gunner Bailey

Im hoping to restore a French Raquette Grenade. I believe it is a 1916 Third Army type, but will be happy to learn otherwise! I need dimensions for the wood and the fuse box. Any help would be appreciated. The Web has not been very useful so far.

Here's a photo.

post-8629-1152339162.jpg

Thanks

Gunner Bailey

That is indeed the cast iron cylinder from a French Petard grenade. Not much else there though! These are still easily found complete and inert at most French bourse aux armes but be aware the percussion caps are also usually left intact. The cylinders were produced in different patterns but most complied to the same dimensions to take a standard charge of Cheddite.

I cannot help with dimensions (all my stuff is in storage) but some pictures follow. The iron cylinder and percussion block are wired to a wooden handle. A length of Bickford cord leads from the charge to a percussion cap in the wooden block (backed by a metal square). The striking 'nail' is removed from the top of the block inserted into the front of the block and struck on a hard object to initiate the cap and fuze.

3apet1.JPG

3apet2.JPG

3apet4.JPG

More:

3apet5.JPG

3apet6.JPG

3apet7.JPG

More:

hampeta.JPG

hampetb.JPG

hampetc.JPG

More:

hampetd.JPG

hampete.JPG

hampetf.JPG

nopet1.JPG

nopet3.JPG

nopet4.JPG

Giles

Many, many thanks for taking the time to post these superb pictures for me. It is very helpful. Especially useful are the close ups of the detonator blocks - excellent. When I have finished mine I'll send you a photo or two.

Best wishes

Gunner Bailey

My pleasure, glad to be of help. If you measure the cylinder in relationship to the handle in the side on picture above it should be accurate enough to scale up for the real thing.