Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DSM Citations

KIRKY

Anyone know where I can obtain copies of DSM citations for WW1 and WW2?

Thanks

Tony

Kirky I think they are rather like MMs they are not in the London Gazette. I think you will need to try local papers of the time as these are very good. If your lucky the local library archivist is helpful and thet may only charge photocopying and postal charges if they find anything. The catch is you need of course to know where they lived! Gareth

DSMs were often awarded for an action where an officer was also rewarded and in the same London Gazette. If that award has a citation it usually applies to the DSM too.

There is an alphabetical index in ADM 171/75 and more detailed list in ADM 171/61: that is in number order, the number of the medal, which you can find from ADM 171/75. The report that led to the award can be found using the ADM 12 A&B indexes. That will give you far more information than a citation.

Per Mare

I've got them for WW1 South Staffords.

Roy

:) Thanks for info. What is ADM and is it at PRO?

Sorry to sound stupid but never been into this kind of research!

Tony

ADM = the Admiralty files at the PRO/ National Archives. Just like WO stands for War Office.

The ADM 12 indexes are alphabetical indexes to all the reports and letters sent to the Admiralty. Check under the recipient’s name and the name of the ship, which will be written in red. You will then need to translate the Admiralty reference that you find into a PRO file number. There are leaflets on using ADM 12.

ADM 171 is the PRO class for medal rolls from the Napoleonic war to WW1, all up to, but not including, the Silver War Badge Rolls are on microfilm.

:) Thanks for all of your great help ( as usual!)

Tony