Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

245th (West Riding) Brigade RFA

india58817

Is anyone able to tell me the whereabouts of "C" Battery, 49th Division, CCXLV (West Riding) Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery on Wednesday 10th October 1917. Any information would be gratefully received.

The 49th Division was in the Passchendaele area in October 1917.

Forum member Simon R is interested in the 246th which will have been nearby so he may have something. It would be worthwhile contacting him if he does not see this.

Tony.

Tony

Many thanks for the response.

A relative of mine "died of wounds" on 10th October 1917 and is buried at Nine Elms, Poperinghe. I suspect (only suspect, mind you) that he may have been wounded a day or two before that in the fighting around Poelkapelle.

I hope soon to get to Kew and view the available war diaries of 245 Brigade, but it's not that easy from up north.

I will try contacting Simon R soon if he has not read the recent posts.

Best regards

Bob Kerr

I will check to see if I have the relevant war diary extract for October. I know I have a nice entry regarding total shell expenditure for all of the brigades btys. (A-D) during 3rd Ypres - gives you some idea of the kind of work the gunners were engaged in.

D bty. 245th bde. (howitzers) produced a very good history - the October period is entitled 'The Gunners Stick It', ominous to say the least!

I will pick out generic C bty. refs. from my notes for you - may not tell you anything direct about your relative, but will provide context. There's been a good discussion of C bty on the Somme in '16 (at White City around Mesnil) elsewhere on the forum, mainly concerning a VC action, but a nice little detailed picture of British artillery at work.

Simon R

Many thanks for that response. I am grateful to you for taking the time to look through your papers with C Bty 245th in mind. Anything you can come up with will be a big boost to the very limited information I have at present.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Kind Regards

Bob Kerr

The thread I mentioned re: C bty during September 1916 (William Barnsley Allans VC action) actually refers to C 246th bde, the 2nd West Riding RFA. It's still worth having a look though, some good stuff.

C246 Sept. 1916.

Hope the link works - just tried it, it does.

p.s. if you post your relatives details, I will have a look to see if I've anything on him.

Name, rank, number and where he was from are useful.

Simon R

Thanks for the link to C Bty 246, it makes very interesting reading and adds much weight to my conviction that the men of that generation were very brave men indeed.

My relative was Bombardier 776064 Percy DAY MM serving with C Bty 245. He was 22 when he 'died of wounds' on 10th October 1917 and is buried at Nine Elms Poperinghe Section III row C grave 10.

Prior to enlisting he lived with his father John, mother Emma and sister Winifrid at Bridge House, Toftshaw Moor, Bradford. The house still stands though the surrounding moor has been altered significantly by urban sprawl. Percy would not recognise it 90 years on.

You are obviously a Wizard at sorting out the obscure from our Nations military records and I suspect you enjoy a challenge! I would be very grateful for anything you can tell me about C 245.

If you ever need a pair of eyes in Durham/Northumberland you know where I am.

With regards and thanks.

Bob Kerr

The History of the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, By PG Bales, devotes a few pages to the action of the 49th Division on 9th October 1917, and says that very little happened on the 10th. And there is a page dealing with 9th October in the West Riding Territorials in the Great War, by Laurie Magnus. Both are concerned with the infantry but it is a bit of background if you want to go that far.

The attached piece on the 49th Division’s objectives for 9th October is taken from the History of the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.

Tony.

post-3707-1151780700.jpg

My sincere thanks to both Tony Lund and Simon R for the information provided.

I have ordered reprints of both Bales and Magnus as well as treating myself to a copy of Peter Barton's 'The Battlefields of the First World War, the unseen panorama of the Western Front'. My reading matter is decided for the next few weeks!

Thank you once again, gentlemen.

Bob Kerr

• 1 year later...
I will check to see if I have the relevant war diary extract for October. I know I have a nice entry regarding total shell expenditure for all of the brigades btys. (A-D) during 3rd Ypres - gives you some idea of the kind of work the gunners were engaged in.

D bty. 245th bde. (howitzers) produced a very good history - the October period is entitled 'The Gunners Stick It', ominous to say the least!

I will pick out generic C bty. refs. from my notes for you - may not tell you anything direct about your relative, but will provide context. There's been a good discussion of C bty on the Somme in '16 (at White City around Mesnil) elsewhere on the forum, mainly concerning a VC action, but a nice little detailed picture of British artillery at work.

I'm interested in D bty. 245 brigade - my Grandfather (Driver Alexander James Kennedy 776216) served with them 20/5/1916 - 4/3/1918. Any info would be much appreciated.

• 5 years later...

I am interested in finding out if anyone can help me with the whereabouts/actions of B Battery, 245th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery in late September/early October 1918.

My Great Uncle died of wounds on 10th October 1918 - here are the details I posted about him on joining the forum.

http://1914-1918.inv...est +clementsds

I have found the reference to the war diaries from the National Archives but unfortunately I would have to obtain the full set which covers the whole period April 1915 to January 1919. I may do this at a later date but at the moment I am specifically interested in the two months mentioned above.

Any help members can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Lesley