Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Collins MM and bar DCM and Bar Seaforth Highlanders

eltoro1960

I am researching this local man (Newtongrange,Midlothian) and would welcome any information on him. I have various local newpaper clippings on him as he is promoted / decorated but I am having difficulty tracking him down on the London Gazette. He originally came from the North East but moved as a boy.Any information appreciated. Thanks

Part1 - the easy bit:

DCM Bar.

LG 3-9-1918

267438 Cpl. J. Collins, D.C.M., M.M., Sea. Highrs. (Newtongrange).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Throughout a week's fighting this N.C.O. set a fine example in organising the men in trying situations. He rallied a platoon of another unit which was withdrawing leaderless, and put it in position. He reorganised fragments of another brigade. By a personal reconnaissance he obtained good information and placed troops to cover the flank. He brought a wounded man out of action on his back, and on every occasion used his rifle with good effect.

(D.C.M. gazetted 22nd October, 1917.)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Part 3:

MM. (AGAIN!!)

LG 18-6-1917

267438 Pte. J. Collins, Sea. Highrs.

Deleted in LG 17-9-1917

DELETIONS.

London Gazette dated 18th June, 1917.

Delete 267438 Pte. J. Collins, Sea. Highrs.

(M.M. gazetted 9th December, 1916.)

And replaced by:

LG 29-8-1917

MM Bar.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of a Bar to the Military Medal to the undermentioned Noncommissioned Officers and Men: —

267438 Pte. J. Collins, Sea. Highrs. (formerly 9532).

(M.M. gazetted 9th December, 1916.)

Part 4:

LG 22-10-1917

Announcement of DCM.

267438 L./Cpl. J. Collins, Sea..Highrs. (Midlothian).

And Citation.

LG 26-1-1918

267438 L./Cpl. J. Collins, Sea. Highrs. (Midlothian).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. After his platoon commander had become a casualty, he led them with great skill and gallantry to their objective, which he consolidated under heavy machine-gun fire. When hostile fire caused his platoon to cease work, he immediately led four of his men to a position from which he could enfilade the enemy machine-gun, which he and two others then rushed and captured, having killed two of the team by rifle grenades.

Steve.

Obliged to you for that information, London Gazette seemed to be playing up for me, thanks very much. :D

John,

I've also been researching a soldier who won the DCM and Bar, MM and Bar. He was Sgt. 29955 William Fraser of the 1st Battalion, Liverpool Regt. Up to now, I knew of only four soldiers who recieved this combination of awards. James Collins makes it five. The others were:

L/Cpl William Coltman, North Staffordshire Regt. (Who also received the V.C.)

Sjt. William Fraser, Liverpool Regt.

Sjt. E. V. Payne, 19 Div. Sig. Coy. Royal Engineers.

Sjt. H. J. Faulkner, Canadian Engineers.

As Coltman was a strecther bearer, Collins and Fraser would have been the only two to have achieved this feat acting as infantrymen (Unless there are others I don't know about).

When this was discussed a while ago on a medal collecting site, it was suggested that a quadruple gallantry award for WWI was over thirty times rarer than a VC!

Regards

Gavin

John,

I've also been researching a soldier who won the DCM and Bar, MM and Bar. He was Sgt. 29955 William Fraser of the 1st Battalion, Liverpool Regt. Up to now, I knew of only four soldiers who recieved this combination of awards. James Collins makes it five. The others were:

As Coltman was a strecther bearer, Collins and Fraser would have been the only two to have achieved this feat acting as infantrymen (Unless there are others I don't know about).

When this was discussed awhile ago on a medal collecting site, it was suggested that a quadruple gallantry award for WWI was over thirty times rarer than a VC!

Regards

Gavin

Thanks for that Gavin I realised early doors this was a pretty rare group of medals to be awarded, starting to realise now just how rare. It would appear to make him the only Scotsman to have this group so far. I'm surprised he survived, although he did , I have a newspaper clipping of him being the guest of honour at the Masonic Lodge where was a member post war, and it would appear he just about brought the house down when he entered. Lots of patriotic signing , speeches,beer , etc.

It would appear to make him the only Scotsman to have this group so far.

Fraser, although having a Scottish name, and serving with the Liverpool Regiment, was actually from South London. So you could well be right.

Regards

Gavin

John,

Regards

Gavin

5820 CSM William Biddle, 1/Gloucestershire Regiment. MC, DCM & bar, MM & bar, & MID

Steve