Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Essex Regiment

tombowcock

Hi Chaps,

I know there are some experts on the Essex Regiment on this site, so could one of you please let me know what the 2nd Bn was doing on 20/04/1918.

The person I have particular interest in is:-

Private Alec Job MILLS - 42610. He is remembered on the Loos memorial and was just 18 years of age.

Many Thanks

Cheers

James

Sorry late addendum :-)

Also 1st battalion Essex Regiment on 23/08/1918 for:-

Pte Donal Perry Ostler - 42115 - kia

Cheers and thanks

James

Sorry late addendum :-)

Also 1st battalion Essex Regiment on 23/08/1918 for:-

Pte Donal Perry Ostler - 42115 - kia

Cheers and thanks

James

James

If you care to PM me your e-mail address I can forward you the war diary for the 1st Bn - 23rd August 1918.

Just a mere 6 pages - interesting stuff. Haven't got the 2nd Bn Diaries for that date - yet !!

I am sure Grandson Michael will be along soon :D with all the relevant Burrows scans - if not I'll check back and see if I have them.

Glyn

I'm back James,

Re Private Ostler:

According to Burrows, The War 1914-1919, 1st Battalion The Essex Regiment, pages 145 to 148, the Bn. was involved in a battle near Achiet-Le-Grand, which involved a large frontage and the use of about 100 tanks.

(See attachements.)

P.S. I just edited this posting by deleting part of it as I had mixed up the months re Pte. Mills. More to follow.

I'm back James,

Re Private Mills: see above and further on, coming up.... :blink:

Re Private Ostler:

According to Burrows, The War 1914-1919, 1st Battalion The Essex Regiment, pages 145 to 148, the Bn. was involved in a battle near Achiet-Le-Grand, which involved a large frontage and the use of about 100 tanks.

(See attachments.)

post-2017-1147185209.jpg

post-2017-1147187448.jpg

post-2017-1147187492.jpg

post-2017-1147187532.jpg

Back again and again.....

Here are the relevant entries of the 2nd Bn. The Essex Regiment War Diary for the month of April 1918. Rather curious is the fact that there is no mention of casualties among the Other Ranks at all for 20 April.....it looks as though only officers were casualties, but further on the diarist does mention casualties amongst the O.R. 's.

Thu., Apr 18, 1918 SUPPORT AREA, FRANCE

Hostile attack. Barrage commenced at 1-0 am. Actual attack materialised at 3-am. Not heavy losses. 1st. Bn. Kings Own Regt. Attacked the village of RIEZ -du -VINAGE at 9-0 pm, and the Battalion relieved them on EAST side of village. Casualties:- Capt. L.M. WINN Wounded.

--- signed by R.N. Thompson, Lieut. Colonel, Commanding 2nd Bn. The Essex Regt.

Fri., Apr 19, 1918 FRONT LINE, FRANCE

The Village of RIEZ-du-VINAGE discovered to be still full of enemy. Casualties:- 2/Lt. J. HAYHURST Killed. 2/Lt. E.W. STANDERWICK Killed. 2/Lt. S. STORER missing.

Sat, Apr 20, 1918 FRONT LINE, FRANCE

Sharp village fighting all day. About 50 prisoners taken. Casualties:- Revd. R.M. GIBSON to England. Capt. J.G.H. KENNEFICK Killed. Lieut. L.C. GLADDEN Killed. 2/Lt. L.G. NORMAN ?.A. Capt. A.G. de la MARE M.C. to H.A.

Sun, Apr 21, 1918 FRONT LINE, FRANCE

Village fighting still going on. Relieved by 2nd Bn. Lancs. Fusiliers on night 21st/22nd, and the Battalion occupied position N of RIEZ-du-VINAGE less “D” Coy who remained in position between RIEZ-du-VINAGE and CANAL. Casualties:- 2/Lt. W.S. MOSS Wounded.

Mon., Apr 22, 1918 FRONT LINE, FRANCE

Attack by 2nd Bn. Lancs. Fusiliers in conjunction with 61st [crossed out: Infantry Brigade] [inserted: Division] “B” and “ C” Companies sent up to fill gap between 61st [crossed out: Brigade and] [ inserted: Division] 2nd Lancs. Fusiliers. Casualties:- 2/Lts. G.H.PRIDMORE and J. CAMPLIN joined for duty.

Tue., Apr 23, 1918 FRONT LINE, FRANCE

Situation unchanged. Casualties:- 2/Lt. J.L. ELLISTON Wounded.2/Lt. J. CAMPLIN Wounded.. 2/Lt. G.H. PRIDMORE to H.A.

These entries transcribed by self and the originals recieved with thanks from our co-member greenwoodman.

Next step: information from Burrows coming up.....

Phew...here's what Burrows, page 184, has to say.....

Cheers,

Michael

post-2017-1147193390.jpg

Phew...here's what Burrows, page 184, has to say.....

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thats absolutely brilliant..thank you.

Certainly seems like there was a lot on..I never knew we had an 100+ tank battle in WWI.

Will add the information to the two peoples record on my website.

Once again deeply indebted to you for all your help.

All the very best

Cheers

James

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I know its an old thread, but that's Google for you! I'm trying to find out about my great grandfather who ended up with the 2nd Btn Essex. He is buried at Braine-le-Comte in Belgium in a small cometary. The CWGC site states that all the WWI burials there are prisoners of war, so I presume my great grandfather was either wounded and captured or died of some disease after capture.

His date of death is 29/06/1918, his name was William Henry Croucher, 35412, a private with 2nd Essex, 39 at time of death. Although he was with the Essex Regiment, I suspect he joined up (probably conscripted) with a Surrey or Hampshire regiment, as he came from Heath End, Farnham in Surrey.

I have checked the 2nd Essex war diaries for the period from January through to June and know they were close by the Belgian border, but as the officers are only named finding out much more is proving very difficult.

To date I have had no luck tracing his service record, it was probably lost during WWII, as a great many were damaged by fire.

So any help or leads would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob