Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Phyllis Trenches and the Bedfordshire Regt.

chris.wight

While looking through the March 22, 1916 edition of the Calgary Daily Herald, I saw this story, link.

What became of her and was this incident mentioned in the Battalion War Diary?

The soldier who found her, Pte Phillip Impey, was buried at Larch Wood Railway Cutting Cemetery, link.

post-2466-1146620484.jpg

post-2466-1146620495.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what became of her, but

WHAT A STORY!

This has Hollywood potential!

Touching story, but in todays atmosphere in the UK the whole regiment would be branded as paedophiles and put on the sex offenders list! It would be nice though to know that she had a good life. GAreth

We discussed this last year but I cant think for the life of me who stumbled across it. Unfortunately, I do know that no headway was made (at the time) as to what happened, but itd be fantastic to know!

Ill hve to send Nigel at the CRO an email to see if he had anything in his archives on her & will come back to you ASAP.

Good ole Bedfords!!

By the way, Pte Impey is one of two candidates:

Pte 9485 P Impey, an Old Contemptible of the 1st Btn, KIA 12/6/1915

Pte 27561 W Impey of the 2nd Btn, KIA 12/10/1916.

Hence, on balance, it must be P Impey according to the date of the article. Cant access my database or SDGW at the moment (my desktop expired on me recently & the data on the hard drives is just sitting there unaccessible), so will add info on him in the next few days ...

We discussed this last year but I cant think for the life of me who stumbled across it. Good ole Bedfords!!

Steve

Poor memory matey :P

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=35257&hl=

Glyn

Thanks Steve and Glyn for the information.

I do agree with what others said in the previous thread that some exageration must have taken place in the story. I would find it hard to see a child being allowed to remain in the front line trenches for any amount of time. Still, at least this story gives a name of one of the soldiers involved.

Nigel @ the CRO has nothing Im afraid. To find out, it would need a search of the Bedford papers Id say. A story like that would dobtless be in there, as a nice change to the death & loss of thre war.

I knew it was stebie or yourself but didnt like to say as Id just get it wrong!! Duh!! Sorry Glyn!!

By the way, Pte Impey is one of two candidates:

Pte 9485 P Impey, an Old Contemptible of the 1st Btn, KIA 12/6/1915

Pte 27561 W Impey of the 2nd Btn, KIA 12/10/1916.

Hence, on balance, it must be P Impey according to the date of the article. Cant access my database or SDGW at the moment (my desktop expired on me recently & the data on the hard drives is just sitting there unaccessible), so will add info on him in the next few days ...

Hi Steve.

9485 P Impey was called Percy, in the article the soldiers name is Philip!

Not sure what this proves.