Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Cyclist Corps

tomick

Hi all again,

I have a distant relative who was in the Army Cyclist Corps, the 50th(Northumberland)Div.Cyclist Coy, His name again is a James Diston age 21, Sevice No 1267, he was killed on 11/7/1916, he is buried in Ridgeway Cemetary nr Ieper(Ypres), I am very curious as to what their duties were etc, can someone please enlighten me.

Regards Tomick

Hello

It wasnt muddy every where...

Ian

Guest KevinEndon

I saw a brilliant photo somewhere of the cyclist corps but alas my memory fails me where I saw it maybe someone on here can help. The photo has about 30 cyclists all standing beside their bikes. All bikes were different as they were not issued, soldiers supplied their own. The photo may well have been on this forum but not 100 per cent sure.

I think the cyclist corps were dispatches riders getting messages to and from the front line, maybe someone could give more info on their exact roll.

Tomick

I've never found much to read about them either. Certainly in the early stages of the war, they acted as despatch riders. They also fulfilled a scouting function - acting in effect as cavalry. However, for most of the war, they seemed to have operated just as ordinary infantry in the trenches.

If any more knowledgable members know of any good books on the subject, I'd appreciate knowing.

John

I have seen mentions in British War Diaries covering the Last Hundred Days, in which cyclists go ahead from infantry to check the terrain and enemy positions (a role similar would have been performed by cavalrymen). Of course, this refers to the late-1918 stage of war, when everything was more mobile and the old muddy & shell-holed battlefields had been left behind. I imagine that roads in the new terrain that was being conquered were well-preserved enough to allow use of cycles.

Gloria

I have these notes from somewhere, the digger history website I think (I was a bit slopy recording websites when I got started), which I think sums it up:

Australian Cyclist Units

The British New Army establishment that the AIF was reorganised under in 1916 provided for a company of cyclists for each Division. When they got to France, they were reorganised as Corps troops, with a Battalion for each Corps. There were two ANZACs at this time, hence two Corps. The cyclist battalions were organised like infantry, with four companies of four platoons. When II ANZAC became XXII Corps in 1917, the Australian cyclists of the 2nd Cyclist Battalion returned to the Australian Corps as reinforcements.

The cyclists were mainly used as despatch riders. During semi-open warfare periods in 1917 and 1918, they operated similar to cavalry. A brigade column in an advance would have cyclists attached. They weren't as mobile or flexible as cavalry, but didn't cost as much to maintain either

Cyclists when operating as dismounted infantry wouldn't have had to leave 1 in 4 men behind to hold the horses and of course didn't require fodder.

Neil.

1885 cyclist sections (later companies) first formed in various Rifle Volunteer Corps; used until 1914 primarily for coastal patrols

1888 26th Middlesex VRC (later 25th County of London Battalion (Cyclists)) became the first cyclist battalion and remained the only one until the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908

1900-1902 cyclists used in Anglo-Boer war as despatch riders and railway patrols

1908.04.01 upon formation of the Territorial Force, five existing infantry battalions converted to cyclists, and three new cyclist battalions formed

1909-1914 five more battalions formed in Territorial Force

1915 Army Cyclist Corps

formed to encompass fourteen existing cyclist battalions, and new cyclist battalions formed (including second line of existing battalions); as first units went overseas, they were broken up as divisional companies serving in something of a reconnaissance role

1916-1917 twelve battalions formed by conversion of second line yeomanry regiments]

1919 Corps disbanded, while some of its units retained their cyclist role (During the war cyclists often found themselves in unfriendly terrain and had to give up their mounts; based on that experience the Army had little further role for cyclists.)

1922 all remaining cyclist units converted to infantry, artillery and signals

The Army Cyclist Corps was formed in November 1914 from the infantry division cyclist coys (one per division). The TF and Yeomanry Cyclist bns were never part of the ACC, retaining their regimental identities and capbadges. Once trench warfare set in the Div Cyclist coys were used for a variety of tasks, from providing teams of snipers to trench digging and helping to etablish divisional schools of instruction.

In summer 1916 the div Cyclist coys were formed into Corps Cyclist bns (forum member Wienand Drench has details of these). Gloria is right in saying that they did resume their orginal reconnaissance role during the Final 100 Days.

As for the TF and Yeomanry Cyclist units, these remained as part of the hme defence forces throughout the war.

Charles M

PS Now for the commercial! My book Call to Arms does provide some additional detail.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info you have provided as regards to the Army Cyclist, I have now a better understanding of those brave men.

If I have annoyed or upset anyone I would like to add an apology for my irreverent heading about bikes & mud, that was before the various info supplied by yourselves.

Regards Tomick

Several Cyclist battalions were converted to MGC - one associated with the Essex Regiment certainly was.