Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Mumby 7th Lincolns

Jimothy

My scanner is not working currently, or I would post a photograph that I have in my posession.

The photo is of 28193 Private Fred Mumby of the 7th Battallion Lincolnshire Regiment. He died on 29 April 1918 and is buried at Doullens Communal Cemetery Extension No.2. Fred was born in Elsham, Lincs. Some of this information is from the writiing on the back of the photo and some is from CWGC website.

Whilst my great grandmother was called Mumby i do not think that this photograph is connected to her as it has come to me via a different branch of my family. Any Lincs regiments experts out there have any more information about my man please? I'm keen to find out why this pictures exists within my family album.

Hi

Are you local to Elsham? There are an F Mumby and G Mumby on the Elsham boys school memorial http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites...=71437&pageNo=5

A search of the 1901 census for Elsham only brought up a couple in their late sixties, although it looks like a typing error was made, and one of these may be your man:

Fred Mumby 21 Lincs Elsharm Lincolnshire Brocklesby Teamster

Fred Mumby 9 Lincs Brocklesby Lincolnshire Brocklesby

This could be the other casualty:

George W Mumby 17 Lincs Barnelby Lincolnshire Brocklesby Apprentice Joiner (Should be Barnetby I think)

I work a few minutes away, so could have a closer look if you wish

Dave

Dave, thanks very much for this.

I appreciate your kind offer to go and check out the memorial, but I don;t need to impose upon your generosity. I am not local to Elsham myself, but my Mother still lives in Barnetby. So I can pop over to Elsham quite easily when I next visit her. I deduce from the link that you posted that the memorial is inside the church rather than on a war memorial outside?

Thanks again for you help, I will have to make a search myself of the 01 census and see if Fred was related to my Wrawby Mumby family from which my G Grandmother came.

I haven't seen the memorial, but the channel 4 site says it is for the boys school. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find, though will make some enquiries.

Our school librarian's name is Mumby, but she says that their side of the family are from Barton. From the census it seems to be a name peculiar to Lincs and Yorkshire.

Mumby is the name of a village south and west of mablethorpe. The by ending is typical of this area and comes from the norse- like bigby, grasby, barnetby etc etc.

Lincolnshire was, traditionally, farming area and the ag labs moved around a lot, standing in the market towns on hiring day to be hired by the farmers for the coming year until flitting day.

brigg market seems to have been particularly popular amongst the ag labs - resulting in my own family - the britcliffe's - settling in wrawby, in fact three brothers including my g g g/father moved there from scotter and scotton - the family myth was always that they came from scotland (they didnt)

there are / have been a lot of mumbys in wrawby and i would suggest that your school librarians barton ancestry has a wrawby connnection.

as a matter of interest which school do you teach at? my dad went to the old grammar school whilst my brothers and i went to westmoor / vale of ancholme

SJN :P . I'm trying to research the 26 names on the Great War memorial. Does your dad know about the Briggensians website? It has a history of the school, and contacts for many ex-pupils.

We've had a few meetings down the pub for forum members based in Lincs; I'll let you know when the next one is planned.

Sadly my Dad is no longer with us, I don't suppose that there any names connectd to me on the memorial as I think that my dad was the first of our family to go to the grammar school.

Pub sounds good, I'll have to be at my mother's when the next get together is:)

Been doing some census digging on ancestry.com

There is a very strong possibility that Fred Mumby was my 2nd cousin twice removed.

Not definite yet, but its looking good.

Congratulations. Isn't it great when everything suddenly falls into place. Is he one of the F Mumbys on the 1901 census, and the Elsham memorial?

On another track, Chris on this forum was also at the Vale. Small world. Have you seen the thread about meeting up on the first Friday in May?

Dave

Dave, yes this is the Fred Mumby of the 1901 census and also the Elsham memorial.

Yes I have seen the meet thread, thanks, I need to check my diary as I probably have a wedding to photograph back here in Cheshire on the Satirday morning.

I didn't know about Chris being ex-Vale, if you see this Chris we must compare notes.

• 10 months later...

[hello I hope you can help me I am trying to find out more about my great uncle George Henry Mumby born 1895 I think in Elsham I think there may be some connections and just for the record I am SJNs too if you put milly in the search you will see the information I have already gained about him and an 11th battalion card!

Best wishes