Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Secret Service POW link?

libster

I've recently come across an item of correspondence between the Secretary of the Australian Red Cross and a Major Snepp requesting assistance for a POW who was planning an escape. According to his family, the escaper was later employed by the Secret Service on unspecified "dirty work" in Ireland. Major Snepp was based at 2 Whitehall Court in 1918, which I understand was then the headquarters of MI5. I wondered if anyone had encountered Major Snepp during their researches or could shed some light on the activities of those involved in intelligence work in Ireland at that time.

Hi

MI5 was for Counter-espionage in the UK it was made up of 7 departments MI5 Miltary policy in dealing with the civil population, including aliens.

MI5(a) Military policy connected with the employment of alien workmen on war services.

MI5(d) Duties connected with counter-espionage in British possessions overseas.

MI5(e) Military policy connected with control of civilian passenger traffic to and from the UK. Passes and permits for the " zone des armees." Port intelligence.

MI5(f) Military policy in dealing with the civil population, including aliens, Aliens Restriction Orders, And Defence of the Realm Regulations affecting Special Intelligence duties. Intelligence passes.

MI5(g) Special duties connected with counter-espionage.

MI5(h) Military records of aliens. Miscellaneous duties. hope this helps

• 2 years later...

MI5 was never based at Whitehall Court though SIS (MI6) was. Unfortunately have never come across Major Snepp and would suggest you are misreading the signature.

The surname was typewritten in the original letter, but the reply was signed. In the reply the initial(s) are difficult to make out, but the surname is clearly Snepp.

Libster

Could you possibly provide a few more details on Major Snepp? It might well be the man in question, as I imagine Snepps would have been fairly thin on the ground. Having said that, the initial(s) on the signature don't look like EN.

Libster

Hi the following might be of interest....Timothy Quinslik Pow was recruited by M15 to infiltrate the IRA and inform on Michael Collins ( there was a 10,000 pound reward for his capture) Quinslik arranged a meeting with Collins in a Cork hotel, where he would be arrested...Collins had him executed..below is how the story was reported

the Times of Tuesday Feb 24 1920 carries the following story

The Irish Independant today prints a curious story regarding the mysterious murder that was committed in the city of Cork last Wednesday night. Early on Thursday morning the body of an unknown man was found in a field on the outskirts of the city. There were five bullets wounds in the head, one in the heart, one in the chest, and one in the back. There were no signs of a struggle, and the murder was generally regarded as an execution, as it appears all the bullets had been fired at the same time. The coroner's inquest threw no light on the affair. The Independent today states that it received information, according to which the murdered man was Harry Timothy Quinslik, a native of Wexford. The independant obtained its information from a man who was afriend of Quinlisk. They first met in the german camp in Limburg in 1914. Quinlisk was a corporal in the Royal Irish Regiment, and was taken prisoner at La Bassee. At Limberg both men joined Roger Casement's Brigade, and Quinlisk was made a sergant-major. In April 1919 the Independant's informant states, he, Quinlisk, and three others were sent to Calais. They were released without prejudice, and sent to England.--Subsequently he received a letter from Quinlisk, who was living then in Dublin under the name of Quinn, advising him to get in touch with a certain organisation, and the informant came from London to Dublin and met Quinlisk. After Quinlisk discharge from the army, his hotel bill continued to be paid by this organisation,but four months later this money was discontinued. Some time afterwards, the informant states, he again met Quinlisk in Dublin, and the latter made a suggestion to him as to how they could obtain money, as the organisation had ceased to supply him with funds. The informant came up from the country last week, but found that Quinlisk had gone to Cork. He next heard of the murder, and when he read a description of the dead man in the newspaper he was convinced that he was Quinlisk

Thanks for posting the report-fascinating stuff. I've come across a reference to Quinlisk before, apparently he was multi-lingual and something of a ladies' man. His assassins certainly left nothing to chance!

Libster

Hi Libster,

"According to his family, the escaper was later employed by the Secret Service on unspecified "dirty work" in Ireland".

Where did you get the information about/from his family, and is Timothy Quinslik your man ?

Could it be that Snepp was a assumed name given his work? If not have you tried looking at pension

records for him.

Peter

Hi Peter

My escaper was CQMS Sydney Edwards 51st Bn AIF. His daughter (recently deceased) told me about his supposed activities in Ireland. Her father always steadfastly refused to go into any detail. Major Snepp was contacted by Miss Chomley of the Australian Red Cross in London after she'd had word that Edwards had volunteered to go on a working party outside his POW camp, as a prelude to an escape attempt. She asked for any assistance Snepp might be able to provide; he replied that he would try to do what he could. All this took place in mid April 1918, i.e. a couple of weeks before the escape took place. There is a photo of Sgt Edwards taken the day afetr his arrival in Switzerland in the Australian War Memorial collection.

Libster

Hi Libster,

Could it be that your man, joined the RIC Cadets or the Auxilliaries ?, while they where not Secret Service, it might explain his refusal to go into any detail about his service in Ireland. I do recall seeing a photo of a group of RIC Cadets ( Black and Tans) , with their names marked in, and I recall the name Edwards. I think it was a book about Michael Collins, will have to check and let you know.

Peter