Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Co. E 10th Cyclist Batt

Swally

Hi Guys again,

I have finally found out that a Great Uncle of mine, James Allan born in Aberdeen 1895 served with Co. E 10th Cyclist Batt. He joined the war early and within a few month was gravely injured by shrapnel and lay for 5 days beside a dead officer before he was captured by the Germans. He was in a POW camp for 13 months before being returned in an exchange of prisoners in Switzerland when he was then mustard out the army due to wounds. He said that the treatment that he recieved whilst being a POW was the best they were able to. He committed suicide in 1935 in Barre, Vermont ,USA due to the death of his wife a year previous and due the mental scarring that he endured during the war.

Would anyone have any details on E Co. of the 10th Cyclists, when he married he stated on his wedding cert that he was of 1/10th Royal Scots..........can anyone make a connection?

Wishing you all the best,

Swally

Hello Swally,

The 10th Cyclist Battalion you are referring to is most probably the 10th (Cyclist) Bn of the Royal Scots. As the title says this was a cyclist battalion. Please find below a lineage of the battalion which is of interest I hope.

Cheers,

Wienand

10th (Cyclist) Bn, The Royal Scots

(1st Linlithgow Rifle Volunteers)

Formed 8 Oct. 1862 as 1st Ad Bn, Linlithgowshire RVs with HQ at Linlithgow by grouping of

1st Corps at Linlithgow, formed 19 Mar. 1860.

2nd Corps at Bo'ness, formed 19 Mar. 1860.

3rd Corps at Bathgate, formed 25 Apr. 1860; HQ to Torphichen in 1864.

4th Corps at Bathgate, formed 9 Aug. 1862.

5th Corps at Uphall, formed 18 Mar. 1872.

6th Corps at West Calder, formed 17 Apr. 1878 comprising one and a half coys.

Consol 16 Mar. 1880 as 1st Linlithgow RVC with A - E Coys from late 1st - 5th Corps, F Coy at Addiewell by the half coy, 6th Corps, and G Coy fr late 6th Corps. Became 1 Jul. 1881 a vol bn [7th] f the regt. C Coy to Armadale in 1881. Redes Apr. 1888 as 8th Vol Bn. H Coy formed at South Queensferry, I Coy formed at Kirkliston in 1900; F Coy to Fauldhouse. I Coy relettered as H in 1906 after disb H Coy. Tsfd 1 Apr. 1908 (1 May 1908) to the TF as 10th (Cyclist) Bn with HQ and A - H Coys as before. Emb 4 Aug. 1914; renumb Mar. 1915 as 1/10th. Disemb 5 May 1919 at North Berwick. Reconst 7 Feb. 1920 at 10th (Cyclist) Bn at Linlithgow. Conv 1920 as 1st (Linlithgow) Lt Bridging Coy, RE. Conv 1921 as A Coy, 4th/5th Bn. Conv and exp 1 Jul. 1938 as 14th LAA Regt, RA (West Lothian Royal Scots) with 39 (Linlithgow) Bty at Linlithgow and 40 (Bathgate) Bty at Bathgate. 57 Bty raised 17 Jan. 1939 at South Queensferry and regtd; 58 Bty raised 15 May 1939 at Edinburgh and regtd. 58 Bty to 50th LAA Regt, RA 10 Jul. 1940. S/A 1 Jan. 1947 at Edinburgh; pers formed new WF units with same nos. The TA regt reconst 1 Jan. 1947 as 514th (West Lothian Royal Scots) LAA Regt, RA with HQ at Linlithgow. Amalg 10 Mar. 1955 with 519th LAA/SL Regt, RA (Dunedin), 587th LAA Regt, RA (Queen's Edinburgh, Royal Scots) and R Bty, 471th (M) HAA Regt, RA (Forth) to form 432nd LAA Regt, RA.

2/10th (Cyclist) Bn

Formed Sep. 1914 at Linlithgow. Reorg Jun. 1918 as inf for North Russia. Disb 25 Jun. 1919.

3/10th (Cyclist) Bn

Desig for 3rd line depot of 10th Bn. Abolished Mar. 1916 and pers to 1/10th and 2/10th Bns, and to MGC.

Wienand

Brilliant stuff.

Looking at all the place names that you have mentioned the one that seems to be omitted is Bo'ness

I wonder if they would just have been part of the Linlithgow lot as it is within walking distance.

You don't know where I would be able to obtain Attestation Papers for

James Allan Co. E 10TH Cyclists Batt of the Royal Scots

Robert Allan

Robert Alexander 16th Batt of the Royal Scots

All the best,

Swally

Hello Swally,

As for your comment on Bo'ness, you will see that the 1st Corps was at Linlithgow, and the 2nd Corps at Bo'ness. I didn't realise they are so close, but the situation in my overview is from the second half of the 19th century. So population densities would be different, explaining two corps so close. Local pride and the wish to have "corps of their own" may also be probable.

As for the Attestation Papers I am afraid I cannot help. But I am sure the knowledge concerning these is at this forum!

Good luck!

Wienand