Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this an injury?

SHARONCMAUD

post-10587-1141640607.jpgPlease look at eye on photo, this only came to light whilst editing the photograph, and had not been noticed for the last 90 years, he is wearing a wound badge on his sleeve, could it just be tiredness???

Any help appreciated

Can't tell if the photo is a group picture but if it's individual and the mark on the eye is cosmetic (i.e. something he was born with) one would assume he would have turned to the camera with the other side of his face showing.

If it's an injury perhaps he chose that position to display it?

It could be bad diet and lack of washing facilities I would not think unless this is the aftermath of hospitalisation that this would qualifie for a wound badge.

Rob

Can't tell if the photo is a group picture but if it's individual and the mark on the eye is cosmetic (i.e. something he was born with) one would assume he would have turned to the camera with the other side of his face showing.

If it's an injury perhaps he chose that position to display it?

Does anyone know how they managed to get home with these large studio photographs the actual picture is 2ft long by 15inches wide, the story goes that after serving all through the war, 2x Field Punishments, constant Siege Batteries, he came home on the back of a flat back wagon , within 10 days he died of Influenza, I wondered if the lump could be anything to do with the TNT from weapons, and him rubbing his eye, but you are probably right, he does have a look of tiredness about him and after 4 years of those living conditions is it any wonder, his war record survived, but there is no mention of injuries sustained, is there anyway this information can be found??

It could be bad diet and lack of washing facilities I would not think unless this is the aftermath of hospitalisation that this would qualifie for a wound badge.

Rob

Was a wound badge issued for minor injuries, for example did you get just the one and keep it or could they wear two or three, did they have to hand them back in when they got better?, where they pinned on or sewn?, was so that officers knew they were excused from duties, if you had your arm in a sling and no wound badge - could this happen, had you to be hospitalized to recieve one? As much information on wound badges would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The "Wound Badge" was a strip of "Russian Lace"{more often than not in the case of ORs a Brass replica with the appearance of the Lace Strip was worn} approx 2.5" in length worn on the lower left hand cuff in an upright position,& one was granted each time the wearer was wounded,they were retained & worn permanently.The Lace ones were mounted on a strip of material & stiched to the uniform,the Brass ones were fixed by hooped lugs with a backing plate & wire split pin through the reverse of the sleeve.

Rather than for excusing duties etc; they were basically to show that the individual had been wounded on "X" amount of times~a badge of honour as it were,There a pictures of men wearing four or more of these.

post-2388-1141748145.jpg

A Lieutenants Tunic with 2 Brass Gilt Wound Badge Stripes above his Sleeve rank badges.

post-2388-1141748866.jpg

And a most unusual "Variation on a theme" A WW2 USAAF Dakota Pilots "Chocolate Brown" Tunic,utilising WW1 UK Wound Badge Stripes as "Hashes" to signify Air Ops Completed,unorthodox,definitely Non regulation but no doubt effective!!

post-2388-1141749563.jpg

Does anyone know how they managed to get home with these large studio photographs the actual picture is 2ft long by 15inches wide,..............................

Returning soldiers managed to repatriate guns, bayonets, grenades and just about anything not nailed down. A photograph that size would just about fit into a large pack or kitbag.

All nations had Wound Badges or Stripes,The Italian was similar to the UK ,a strip of Bullion Lace;the German Wounded Badge was instituted on 3rd March 1918{Naval Wounded Badge 24th June 1918};& was a graded Class system of Pin Backed Badges for varying degrees of Wound serverity,Black Metal,Silver & Gold,Black for one or two wounds,Silver for three or four{or one if severe ie the loss of an eye.,foot,hand,or near or total deafness}& Gold{gilt} for five or more{again if the wound resulted in total disability or blindness the Gold badge could be awarded for a solitary wound}

With regard to the photograph,I doubt your man would have needed to bring it home that size it would probably have been enlarged from the original by the photographer,if UK based,or by a local Photographer @ home,if taken Overseas,these large prints all tend to be a bit on the "fuzzy" side where the enlargement has impaired the image.

With regard to the photograph,I doubt your man would have needed to bring it home that size it would probably have been enlarged from the original by the photographer,if UK based,or by a local Photographer @ home,if taken Overseas,these large prints all tend to be a bit on the "fuzzy" side where the enlargement has impaired the image.

Thank you -were told he had it taken in Amiens, and as stated he arrived home on the back of flat back wagon dying of Influenza, and I know he was lucky to have got home at all, who would think that after 90years your emotions would still be so raw, I have cried so much over what they all suffered, and the photos have helped to put faces to names, wouldn't it be lovely if the CWGC could put faces on their sight, Lottery Funding could help, do you know if anything like this is in the offing?? It would make the site more personal don't you think, did all soldiers have pictures taken when they enlisted, because as i trawl the papers for 1914-1921 an awful lot of faces stare back at me, so I wondered if it was done for every soldier and if the War Office kept copies of these, let me know what you think !! Appreciatively...Sharon

Sadly;In the UK;there was no Government/War Office policy of photography of each service Man & Woman in WW1,however the majority had Postcard sized Photos taken,on enlistment,promotion,or in France,etc;on Leave,this was the golden age of studio photography,with most towns & large villages having @ least one,Photographer's Studio;& pictures were given to Parents,Sweethearts,Kith & Kin & Spouses as keepsakes whilst they were away,thousands survive today but as many have no recorded details of the sitters they remain anonymous.