Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers' names on Military Crosses

Jerrymurland

The Military Cross I have, won by a member of the family in 1917 does not have his name inscribed on the back. At what point in the Great War did soldiers have their names put in MCs?

Jerry

So far as I`m aware, they didn`t - officially. Many did, but it was a private engraving. Which means that nowadays one has to decide if a name on a single MC is really the recipient`s. Phil B

does that mean that an MC with its citation is worth less or more if it has been privately engraved? Not that I'm going to part with this one!

Jerry

You can only be reasonably sure that the MC was awarded to the man whose name is engraved on it if you have supporting evidence - other medals or documentation. The citation is not evidence. One has to look at the worst case scenario. Someone gets an unnamed MC, engraves the name of a man with a good citation on it, gets a copy of the citation and the MC looks a lot more attractive. And more valuable!

Of course, the medal may be perfectly kosher! An expert might comment on the engraving style.

If, as you say, the MC has long been in the family, there doesn`t seem to be a problem! Phil B

There is not a massive differnce in monetary value of named to unnamwed MCs. Basically in the region of £400-500 if the full medal entitlement is present the £800-1000. More if of particular interest major battles regiments etc. While you can insure your medals for these amounts you can never replace them so keep them safe. Gareth

I have the whole set, Pip, Squeak and Wilfred + the MC. He also was ararded the Territorial Medal in 1946 and the Victory Medal. His Great War career was Northamptonshire Yeomanry, France and Italy. MC won at Monchy Le Preux in 1917 during that mad cavalry charge to capture the town.

Jerry

Yes I have all the Gazette and Northamptonshire Newspaper references as well asa load of stuff from the northamptonshire Records Office relating to him and the regiment. Thanks for your help guys. Its time I locked this little collection away somewhere.

Jerry

The Military Cross ......does not have his name inscribed on the back. At what point in the Great War did soldiers have their names put on MCs

The Military Cross was awarded/issued unamed,an accompanying letter from the War Office,C.A.2 Investitures,London,SW1*;was sent /presented with it stating:~

"The secretary of the War Office presents his compliments to "Rank & Name of Recipient"and begs to inform him that the Military Cross awarded by His Majesty the King in recognition of the valuable services rendered,is being forwarded herewith by Registered Post.

it is requested that the enclosed formal receipt may be filled in,and returned to this Office as early as possible.

The secretary desires to point out that the Military Cross is not engraved before being despatched,{it}may,however,be inscribed with any suitable inscription at the recipient's own expense.

The practice of officially dating the MC on the foot of the lower arm of the Cross,began around 1938,with awards for Palestine & Indian Frontier,this practice continued until around 1957/8.

* The example letter I have is dated 14th September 1923,in respect of the MC awardd to Lieut.G.H.Singleton,1/1st Cambridgeshire Regt;TF.[Late Corpral,Suffolk Yeomanry]

Thanks for that, clearly Gerry decided not to engrave his MC. He really should have done as his brother also won an MC a year later, I now wonder which one I have in my posession ............

Military Cross Conveyance Letter Giving Private Naming Indication From WO