Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CQMS J. Tetlow, Notts and Derby

BottsGreys

Below is a photo postcard of RQMS Joshua Tetlow which I picked up in a Maryland antique mall a while back, followed by his MIC. I thought I would try to do a little more digging about his service. Would any of the Forum Notts & Derby authorities be able to provide any additional info--such as whether he served with a particular battalion, etc? He is not on the CWGC. I would appreciate anything anyone may have on the good Sgt. If not, thanks anyway for reading this.

Regards,

Chris

post-1571-1136517326.jpg

Hi Chris.

Don't believe this man was with the 11th Battalion, his name doesn't appear in the war diary or history I have access to. His date of entry would suggest association with the territorial battalions whose date of landing in France are given as 25/02/15 by James. "The Order of Battle of Divisions" states that "... on the 28th units began to arrive". This was 139 Bde of 46 Div, with 1/5, 1/6, 1/7 and 1/8 Sherwoods.

I can't quit make out the squiggles under 'Reg't No' on the MIC. Can anyone read it more clearly and enlighten me?

First thoughts concur with Greenwoodman. The date of entry suggests 139 Brigade.

Also it's a shame that the photo doesn't quite grab the house address, because this could have been helpful. Obviously its '****eld View'.

Mansfield? Chesterfield?

Greenwoodman, Andrew:

Thanks for the swift replies--I greatly appreciate your sharing your knowledge/opinions. His Regt. no. is 226. Regrettably, there is no writing or photographer on the reverse of the card --nothing to give an indication of the location. Would I be correct in assuming that the notation, "Disc 3/5/16" on the MIC indicates that he was discharged from service on that date?

Regards,

Chris

Andrew/Greenwoodman:

I found a Joshua Tetlow (see *) with his family in the 1901 Census in Clifton & Compton, Derbyshire. Almost the entire family worked in a cotton mill. I note that this Joshua Tetlow was born in Mayfield, Staffordshire. Perhaps the name of the house in the photo then possibly be Mayfield View and he was photographed during a return visit to his birthtown?

Chris

Henry Tetlow (born abt 1842 Ashton Under Lyme, Lancashire, England) Head Clifton and Compton Derbyshire

*Joshua Tetlow (born abt 1881 Mayfield, Staffordshire, England) Son Clifton and Compton Derbyshire

Martha Tetlow (born abt 1873 Mayfield, Staffordshire, England) Daughter Clifton and Compton Derbyshire

Mary E Tetlow (born abt 1867 Bakewell, Derbyshire, England) Daughter Clifton and Compton Derbyshire

Pheobe Tetlow (born abt 1879 Mayfield, Staffordshire, England) Daughter Clifton and Compton Derbyshire

Rosalie Tetlow a(born bt 1883 Mayfield, Staffordshire, England) Daughter Clifton and Compton Derbyshire

Selina Tetlow (born abt 1844 Bakewell, Derbyshire, England)

Your assumption looks good and fits together nicely.

I'll have a root around to see if I can come up with any other names. I'll get back to this thread a.s.a.p

Your assumption looks good and fits together nicely.

I'll have a root around to see if I can come up with any other names. I'll get back to this thread a.s.a.p

The number has really struck me. It’s one of the lowest I’ve ever seen. From SDGW here are the closest.

208 Sergeant 1/7th Bn – died October 1915

218 Sergeant 1/7th Bn – died June 1915

231 Private 1/7th Bn – died August 1915

241 Private 1/6th Bn – died June 1915

251 Private 1/6th Bn – died May 1915

This is not conclusive but I would suggest that it pretty much confirms the suggestion from Richard and myself that he was a territorial. Furthermore, I would be inclined towards the 1/7th Robin Hood’s. Now as this was my Great Uncle’s battalion I’ve got access to a few other materials, so I’ll see if I can find anything further......

Incidentally the MIC states Company QMS, not Regimental QMS.

By the way, Mayfield may be in a different county to Clifton & Compton, but only a couple of miles over the border, so the photo could well be taken on Mayfield View.

If maps are your thing take a look just south-west of Ashbourne in Derbyshire for their locations.

Andrew:

Thanks for your continued efforts here, very informative. Per your suggestion, I did find Mayfield and Clifton on the UK. Road Maps site--very close proximity to each other, although, as you said, in differing counties. Interesting as well is your take on Sgt. Tetlow's regt. number, seems that he would be in the 1/7 Bn based on the examples you listed. I note on the MIC that the list given for his SWB, is "TF/3". Would that then be for Terrritorial Force?

Regards,

Chris

The Mayfield & Clifton (which are a few miles from Ashbourne) connection seems to point to the following news article relating to the above soldier:-

4.6.15 paper date.

Under the heading "Ashbourne Military Matters"

"Colour Sergt Tetlow of the 6th Sherwood Foresters who was recently reported as wounded during the fighting in France is now, it is understood, under treatment at Aldershot hospital."

Stuart

Hi Guys

I can just add that 226 Cpl J Tetlow served with C Company (Ashbourne and Buxton) 6th Battn Nott and Derby and was awarded the Territoral Force Efficiency Medal in 1912. His arrival date of 28.2.15 from the MIC also ties up with the arrival of the 6/Sherwoods.

I have an (incomplete) list of the first 4000 men to enlist in the 6/Sherwood Foresters if anyone wants look ups

Mike

Stuart/Mike:

Thanks for the information--as my nephew would say, simply awesome (you guys would say, "brilliant".) I went back to the MICs and found Tetlow's MIC for his TFE Medal. I note that he is wearing a medal ribbon in the photo (somewhat difficult to see in the scan), and in comparing it with a photo I found of that decoration, it appears to be that for the TFE Medal (a dark-colored (green) ribbon, with a light stripe (yellow) down the center).

Thanks for the exceptional efforts of everyone who has contributed to this thread. I note that other information-seeking Forumites have joined me in keeping you guys of the Sherwood Foresters contingent very busy with inquiries the past several days. I know they join me in appreciation. If, as is said, "Knowledge is power," then you guys have proven once again that the Forum would make one helluva bomb.

If anyone has any other suggestions or information reSgt Tetlow, I'm all ears (figuratively speaking).

Chris :rolleyes:

Dear Chris

I can probably add one or two more snippets to Joshua Tetlow's story.

1) His Regimental number strongly suggests that he was one of the first recruits to the 'new' 6/Sherwood Foresters when it formed from the Derbyshire Volunteers on 31st March/1st April 1908. Logic would dictate that he was the 226th man to re-enlist, but I'm not sure that the British Army is that consistent? However odds are good that he re-enlisted within the first year.

2) The 1913 Regimental Annual and MIC state that he was awarded the TFEM in 1912. The qualification for which was 12 years service, suggesting that he enlisted in the Derbyshire Volunteers around 1899/1900. I can find no evidence that he was with the Volunteer Contingent that served in the Boar War with the Regular Battalion

3) The 1913 Regimental Annual states that he served with C Company, which recruited from Ashbourne and Buxton and this ties in with his address. The wide area over which the Battalion recruited meant that for practicalities sake he probably stayed with C Company at least until they got to France. Indeed the Regimantal History lists J Tetlow as the Coy QM Sergt of C Company on its arrival in France in Feb 1915.

I have included a photo of C Company taken at the Annual Camp at Clumber Park in 1913. There are certainly a few NCOs with moustaches! is he he one of these ??

I think that the Officer to the left is one of the Johnson brothers (from Buxton)

post-4619-1136876139.jpg

4) The infomation that Stuart added is very interesting and would suggest that he was wounded sometime during May 1915 (assuming that it took a week - 10 days for the news to arrive home and be published). From April to June the Battalion served in trenches in front of Kemmel. It was recorded in the Battalion History that in the month of May the 6/Sherwood Foresters suffered 2/Lt Henry Severne and 16 men killed; 2/Lt Gilderoy Glossop and 69 men wounded.

5) Over the last 18 months or so I have been compling a more comprehensive history of the 6/Sherwood Foresters (1908-1919). The Kemmel Chapter is almost complete and I am happy to send you a pdf copy by e-mail if you want to read a bit more about the exploits of the Derbyshire Territorials during their first few months of war (its quite a large file with the pictures).

6) He was discharged in May 1916 and has the Silver War Badge, but do you think that he could have been time expired? he would have been 35?

By the way great picture! - how on earth did it find its way to Maryland?

cheers

Mike

Mike:

Thanks again for another great addition to Sgt. Tetlow's story. This is very interesting, and I would certainly like to have a copy of your chapter on the 6th Bn at Kemmel. I will PM you with my e-mail address.

As for Tetlow's photo, I was browsing an antique mall in Frederick, Maryland, and one of the dealers had Tetlow hanging in a cheap plastic modern frame in his stall. Regrettably, the dealer wasn't there to tell me where he had found the image, and it was a lone piece with nothing else there pertaining to Tetlow. As you said, a good find.

As for the fantastic photo you posted of Company C, if you look directly upward from the "R" in Clumber, you will see a guy wearing medals and holding a swagger stick. The fellow next to him on his left (viewer's right) looks remarkably like Tetlow and appears to be wearing NCO chevrons--which fits as Tetlow was at least a corporal at that time. I'm convinced that it is him.

Great, great stuff!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Chris

Edited by BottsGreys

Below is a photo postcard of RQMS Joshua Tetlow which I picked up in a Maryland antique mall a while back, followed by his MIC. I thought I would try to do a little more digging about his service. Would any of the Forum Notts & Derby authorities be able to provide any additional info--such as whether he served with a particular battalion, etc? He is not on the CWGC. I would appreciate anything anyone may have on the good Sgt. If not, thanks anyway for reading this.

Regards,

Chris

I see he was from his MIC he was awarded the Silver War Badge, it's certainly worth getting his roll which will likley have some info, also this would mean he was retired no longer being fit for service, if so there is a good chance his records survive at the NA in WO 364 ( soldiers retired to pension ) and if so will survive complete, though many serviceman who had pensions still have their records in WO 363 ( the burnt records )

possibly because the pension office returned their records to the Army records office, if so you have much less chance of finding them, but well worh investigating, if you find them it will likley answer all your questions.

Regards Ian.

Chris

think you might just be right

post-4619-1137007587.gif

Wig:

Thanks so much for the photo, Tetlow seems likely to have been a member of that company at that time, and I appreciate your sharing it with me.

Ian:

Thanks as well for your suggestions--I will pursue the avenues you suggested and maybe will get lucky and find his records.

Regards,

Chris

Mike:

Thanks for the cropped image of C Company at Clumber. I even more definitely think that guy is Tetlow. Looking closley, it appears that he does, in fact, have Quartermaster Sgt. chevrons.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let all participants in this thread, and all those who followed it closely, know that Joshua Tetlow's story is now available on my website (see signature below). It includes a full homage to those involved and the strengths of this forum.

Many thanks to Chris (aka BottsGreys) for allowing me to include the story on the site.

Andrew:

Thanks for telling Sgt. Tetlow's story on your site and thanks to all those involved in this thread for taking the time to assist and counsel me on this one. You all made this quest one heck of a treat.

Chris