Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gunners

shaymen

Whilst typing away today I found myself typing this letter from a Captain of one of the Soldiers on my local Memorial.

As anyone from this Battalion will tell you, our best men are always Lewis Gunners and your son was one of these. In spite of his bad eyesight, he was extremely keen and efficient, and it is the loss of such men we find it difficult to replace

Lewis Gunner with bad eyesight !!

Glyn

I imagine a man with bad eyesight would be more effective with a Lewis gun than with a rifle. Perhaps his "keenness and efficency" made up for it. Just my opinion.

Roger.

Edited by roger

Roger

I was thinking along those lines - Found it strange that the Captain would even think to mention his eyesight. Not sure the dead mans mother needed to be reminded of her sons bad eyesight !

Glyn

I agree, but he could have been the No 2 on the gun team.

John

I agree, but he could have been the No 2 on the gun team.

John

Good shout John - Admit I hadn't thought of that.

Roger

He was

Name: MONK, WILLIAM THOMAS

Initials: W T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/07/1917

Service No: 36407

Additional information: Son of Mr. G. E. Monk, of Lower St., Stansted, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 45.

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Regards

Glyn

And here's a pic of him with his younger brother - I will let you decide which one he is. :)

Glyn

post-5500-1135975094.jpg

Wouldn't it be more important for the No 2 to have good eyesight? Pretty sure No2 did the spotting and conned the gunner onto likely targets. I've been looking for something to back this theory up but can't find anything so it is just a theory.

Thanks for posting the images Glyn.

Roger.

I love it when there's a face to a story!

Maybe the LMG role of the Lewis suited the guy better than marsmanship with an SMLE - spread of fire etc?

Des

I love it when there's a face to a story!

Maybe the LMG role of the Lewis suited the guy better than marsmanship with an SMLE - spread of fire etc?

Des

So do I Des - and his little Brother who by the way survived the war after being captured during the Battle of the Dunes ( Nieuport ) on 10th July 1917.

Reckon it was far eaiser to use a Lewis with bad eyesight - as you say spray the bullets about although as John said he was more likely the No 2.

Glyn

Speaking as one who is as blind as a bat without his specs or contact lenses, I hope I don't sound sniffy - surely the point of specs is to give you good eyesight? Providing Pte Monk wasn't scrabbling around in a shell-hole looking for the blasted things, then his shooting should be as good as anyone's. I know mine was with an SLR back in the early 80's.

This thread has the whiff of being spec-ist, if you ask me B)

:lol: