Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forresters

KateJ

Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching further this "snippet"?

The Notts & Derbys (were they the Sherwood Forresters?) were in billetted in Dunmow & nearby Braintree (both in Essex) shortly after the outbreak of war and stayed in the towns for quite a few months.

Where/how can I verify this?

Kate

The Sherwood (Notts & Derby) territorial battalions of 139 Brigade, 46th Division, were in training at Braintree in November 1914 for certain. Click on the link to Herbert Burman in my signature below for confirmation (read the fourth paragraph).

The Sherwood (Notts & Derby) territorial battalions of 139 Brigade, 46th Division, were in training at Braintree in November 1914 for certain. Click on the link to Herbert Burman in my signature below for confirmation (read the fourth paragraph).

Are you stalking me or am I stalking you :lol::lol:

I think there's a possibility your Herbert Burman came through Dunmow on his way to Braintree.

"On Sunday morning, 23rd of August 1914, we found the town full of soldiers. They were lying all over the pavements and were so sore-footed and exhausted. The officers said that they could take them no farther. However, it was decided to leave one Battalion here [Dunmow], and the rest of the Brigade to Braintree".

Can you point me in the direction of where I could find any more details? All I have is that it was "The Notts & Derbys".

Kate

Morning Kate

Four battalions of the Sherwood Foresters were based around Braintree between November 1914 and February 1915 - they were 1st/5th, 1st/6th, 1st/7th and 1st/8th. They formed 139 Bde of 46 Div, and landed in France 25/02/15. This info comes from "British Regiments 1914-1918" By Brigadier E A James.

I believe the 7th and 8th had battalion histories. Hope this starts you off, have a good Christmas.

Morning Kate

Four battalions of the Sherwood Foresters were based around Braintree between November 1914 and February 1915 - they were 1st/5th, 1st/6th, 1st/7th and 1st/8th. They formed 139 Bde of 46 Div, and landed in France 25/02/15. This info comes from "British Regiments 1914-1918" By Brigadier E A James.

I believe the 7th and 8th had battalion histories. Hope this starts you off, have a good Christmas.

Thanks Greenwoodman. Your dates pretty much tie in with dates that I've got so it's a start!

Kate

Are you stalking me or am I stalking you :lol::lol:

We do seem to keep bumping into each other don't we?!

I'm afraid I don't have the battalion histories for either the 7th or the 8th. I do have the war diaries (or most of them) but, of course, they don't begin until the battalions arrived in France a couple of months later.

If, however, you come up with anything relating to this I would appreciate a tip-off - every little detail helps me to develop my understanding of my Great-Uncles military career.

Hi,

I have the 8th Bn History.

Let me know exactly what it is you are looking for and i will have a look

Kate,

From the War History 8th Bn., S/F. W.C.C.Weetman.

Kate,

15th August 1914 Entrained at Derby for Luton 21st " Moved to Harpenden

22nd " )Training in Harpenden ( Sept. 29th Inspection by Lord Kitchener

15th November ) Area ( at Luton Hoo.

( Oct 6th Inspection by Lord Roberts at

( Sandridge.

16th Nov., (

18th Nov ( Marched via Harlow and Dunmow to Bocking.

19th Nov.,)

27th Dec.,) Trench digging near Bocking

28th Dec., ) By train to Luton for musketry at Wardown and Galley Hill Ranges.

5th Jan., 1915 ) and field firing at Dunstable, returning to Bocking.

6th Jan., ) Training in Bocking Area. ( Feb 19th - Inspection by H.M. the King near

24th Feb., ) Bishop's Stortford.

25th Feb., Entrained at Bocking for Southhampton.

From War History 8th Bn., S/F. W.C.C. Weetman

Regards Cliff.

26th Feb,. Crossed by detachments to Havre.

From the War History 8th Bn., S/F. W.C.C.Weetman.

Thanks Cliff. Bocking is slightly outside Braintree (15 minutes in the car from Dunmow) so this makes sense that they came through Dunmow on the way there.

But it still doesn't totally tie up with the local (contemporary) historian, she says that they (ie the Notts & Derbys) arrived in Dunmow on Sunday 23rd August 1914 and then all but one battalion left Dunmow the same day. Maybe it's not the 8th that stayed behind? Could it be the 7th? Could both the 7th & 8th (and others) have been in Dunmow and the 8th stayed when the 7th went to Bocking?

But the local historian could be wrong. She seems to be pinpointing it to the day that the Battle of Mons started and the fact that the guns could be heard in Dunmow by herself and the newly billeted soldiers in her house.

I'm trying to get a feel of what was going on in Dunmow in the early days of the war. There was certainly appears to have been a Battalion billetted here between August and January.

Anthony, is this extract the same as the one you have?

Thanks everyone for your help

Kate

Kate,

Cliff beat me to it, yes it's the same one.

The Sherwood Foresters are an interest of mine too, if i can help let me know

• 1 month later...

Has any one got a copy of the history of the 7th battalion? I'm still looking for details of which Notts & Derby battalion was based in Dunmow before leaving for France.

Can anyone help?

Kate

Kate,

1/5th Sherwood Foresters by L.W. de Grave (1930)

16,17,18 November (1914) marched to Harlow, Dunmow and Braintree.

Braintree was terribly overcrowded by the Brigade so on the 23rd we marched back to Dunmow until the New Year.

22nd January battalion reassembled at Braintree and continued training. A barbed wire entanglement was constructed at Thrales End farm.

pages 6/7

Stuart

1/5th Sherwood Foresters by L.W. de Grave (1930)

Thanks Stuart - that's excellent. Does the book go into any other detail about their time in Dunmow?

I've just looked on abebooks and there's two copes of de Grave's book - one for £134 and the other for £145 :blink::blink: . Don't think I'll be be buying a copy.

Kate

The paragraph after "back to Dunmow" 23rd reads.........

"We were always well received in our billets "Sherwood Foresters" was a name that caused us to be taken at once to the hearts of the inhabitants wherever we were. The younger generation seemed disappointed that we were not dressed in Lincoln green and large slouch hats with a feather."

Also whilst at Dunmow they went by train to Black Notley (3 miles away?) for trench digging , part of the defences of London.

Stuart

"The Robin Hoods" 1/7 2/7 3/7 Btn s SF 1921

The 1st/7th Btn.....

17th November marched to Great Dunmow where they were billeted for the night and on the 18th they left Great Dunmow at 10.30am and proceeded to Bocking Church Street (near Braintree).

November 19th all ranks busy settling in new billets at Bocking Church Street . Two companies accomodated in the large factory of Messrs Courtauld's and the remainder in various houses .

9th December "completed the entrenched position around Panfield"

More mentions of Bocking but nothing further on Dunmow.

Bookwise UKBookworld is worth a try occasionally

Stuart

Dear Kate/Stuart

There is a manuscript entitled "A Soldier's Tale" by 1724 Pte Robet Langley of the Robin Hoods, in it he describes the time the 7/Foresters spent in Essex and mentions the march to Great Dunmow (no dates though).

His narrative runs from his enlistment in 1913 to being wounded (with trench fever) on June 30th 1916 (lucky man!)

post-4619-1138469257.jpg

Hope it fills in a bit more of the story

post-4619-1138469331.jpg

Mike

thats a fascinating account. I cant help but notice that in 3 days they did, in full kit

Day 1 33 Miles

Day 2 16 Miles

Day 3 12 Miles

and then a rest day

Day 5 a 10 mile "race"

Pleased i'm not doing the same starting tomorrow!

thanks for the posting the excerpt

Geoff

Just to add a pinch of confusion - it would seem that all the Battalion of the 139th Foresters Brigade marched through Dunmow!

Here are the relevant accounts for the 5th, 6th and 8th Battns:-

post-4619-1138473573.jpg

6th Battn

post-4619-1138473708.jpg

8th Battn

and agree that was some marching!

post-4619-1138473775.jpg

Stuart/Mike

thanks so much for all this information. This is exactly what I've been looking for! There really was some marching going on around my home town!

The stories tie in with other details I've found locally about the "Notts & Derbys" being billeted in the town. At one point they were billeted in the workhouse before it became a German prisoner of war camp.

Thanks guys for posting the scans for me.

If anyone else has got anymore to add to the story.......?

Kate

Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching further this "snippet"?

The Notts & Derbys (were they the Sherwood Forresters?) were in billetted in Dunmow & nearby Braintree (both in Essex) shortly after the outbreak of war and stayed in the towns for quite a few months.

Where/how can I verify this?

Kate

The 1/6th Battalion war diary contains information about the 146 Brigade being billeted around Braintree if it helps. There is a copy in the Local Studies Library at Matlock Derbyshire unless any of the members have access to one.