Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Dulwich, London, Street Shrine

chris.wight

I just bought this post card from Ebay and I thought possibly someone may have an idea where it was located. The Memorial itself seems to be portable, at least non permanent and the sides listing the Roll of Honour are on hinged doors suggesting they could be closed. There appears to be a number of wreaths left in front of it, as well as one on the Memorial itself. In checking some of the names in the "List of Fallen", I've found that the latest dates of death are from 1916; they also cover those who served outside the UK (an example, W.R.S. Bicheno, served with the South African Infantry). Those men listed and found on the CWGC suggest a London connection.

Since Marika (Canadawwi) made the link with the East Dulwich Street Shrine, I've amended the thread title accordingly.

post-2466-1135102226.jpg

Edited by chris.wight

Close-up of Memorial.

post-2466-1135102300.jpg

I just bought this post card from Ebay and I thought possibly someone may have an idea where it was located. The Memorial itself seems to be portable, at least non permanent and the sides listing the Roll of Honour are on hinged doors suggesting they could be closed. There appears to be a number of wreaths left in front of it, as well as one on the Memorial itself. In checking some of the names in the "List of Fallen", I've found that the latest dates of death are from 1916; they also cover those who served outside the UK (an example, W.R.S. Bicheno, served with the South African Infantry). Those men listed and found on the CWGC suggest a London connection.

Chris, this is from CWGC. Could it be a postcard for Bicester? Are there any clues on the back of the postcard or any other CWGC links to Bicester?

Name: BICHENO, WILLIAM R. S.

Initials: W R S

Nationality: South African

Regiment: South African Infantry

Unit Text: 1st Regt.

Date of Death: 18/07/1916

Service No: 3570

Additional information: Son of Mr. W. B. Bicheno, of 94, Banbury Rd., Bicester, Oxon., England.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 4 C.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Close-up of the "List of Fallen.".

post-2466-1135102469.jpg

Left panel showing list of those serving.

post-2466-1135102965.jpg

Right side panel listing those who serve.

post-2466-1135103147.jpg

Close-up of wreath on Memorial.

post-2466-1135103348.jpg

Hi Kate. Unfortunately there are no clues on the back of the post card. As for the location, the regiments mentioned suggest a London origin to me. The nature of this Memorial seems to be one which was kept up-to-date; there appears to be several names written on paper kept at the side of the "List of Fallen" panel, possibly for addition to it?

Hi Chris,

These are really interesting pictures - Could this be a street shrine? These were popular in London and apparently in some other places (see for example the one Ian Hislop looked at in Hull in his recent series). Maybe you know about them already, but they were created during wartime and carried the names of local men who were serving in the forces. Clearly, over time, some of these men died and so the shrines became more like memorials. People placed flowers, vases etc at them and they were apparently the source of a great deal of local pride. I could be wrong but the photos are very much as I imagine the shrines to have been (I've only seena few pictures and they seem to have varied from place to place).

Swizz

Have just read your most recent post and I think what you point out would tie in with the idea of a street shrine. All very interesting - thanks for posting these.

Swizz

Hi Kate. Unfortunately there are no clues on the back of the post card. As for the location, the regiments mentioned suggest a London origin to me. The nature of this Memorial seems to be one which was kept up-to-date; there appears to be several names written on paper kept at the side of the "List of Fallen" panel, possibly for addition to it?

It looks as though one of the names listed as "serving" didn't make it to the end of the war.

Name: BICHENO, EDWIN SHELTON

Initials: E S

Nationality: Australian

Regiment: Australian Pioneers

Unit Text: 3rd

Date of Death: 04/07/1917

Service No: 740

Additional information: Son of William Benjamin and Kate Bicheno, of 94, Banbury Rd., Bicester, Oxon, England.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. U. 14.

Cemetery: TROIS ARBRES CEMETERY, STEENWERCK

Hi Chris,

These are really interesting pictures - Could this be a street shrine? These were popular in London and apparently in some other places (see for example the one Ian Hislop looked at in Hull in his recent series). Maybe you know about them already, but they were created during wartime and carried the names of local men who were serving in the forces. Clearly, over time, some of these men died and so the shrines became more like memorials. People placed flowers, vases etc at them and they were apparently the source of a great deal of local pride. I could be wrong but the photos are very much as I imagine the shrines to have been (I've only seena few pictures and they seem to have varied from place to place).

Swizz

Have just read your most recent post and I think what you point out would tie in with the idea of a street shrine. All very interesting - thanks for posting these.

Swizz

This is very engrossing!! Top left of the card next to the words "Roll of Honour" looks to be the word "PLAYERS". Under it is the start of the word "PLA". The small rectangles under the left side of the memorial could be postcards or boxes of something? Perhaps it's outside a tobaccanist/newsagent?

Kate

Hi Swizz, I think you are correct in saying it is a street shrine, first I have ever heard of them. Certainly its appearance shows local pride and thought regarding those who had died and those serving.

Kate, I noticed there were three Bichenos listed, I hadn't checked the one you listed. A very hard time for that family I would think.

Here's another couple from the "List of Fallen":

SPINNEY, KENNETH TRIM

Initials: K T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 17th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/09/1916

Additional information: Son of Lionel S. and Florence Spinney, of Westhorpe Park, Little Marlow, Bucks. Native of Dulwich, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 2.

Cemetery: KNIGHTSBRIDGE CEMETERY, MESNIL-MARTINSART

Name: BARLIN, GEORGE

Initials: G

Regiment: London Regiment (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service Rifles)

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 2nd/15th Bn.

Date of Death: 22/09/1916

Service No: 3171

Additional information: Son of Charles and Lizzie Barlin, of 98, Friern Rd., East Dulwich, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 33.

Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Kate, here is a close-up of the left hand side of the card. The window does seem to be some sort of store. It also appears that there are a number of cards/letters? stuck on the window which might relate to the Memorial.

post-2466-1135105537.jpg

Kate, here is a close-up of the left hand side of the card. The window does seem to be some sort of store. It also appears that there are a number of cards/letters? stuck on the window which might relate to the Memorial.

It's a tobacconist/newsagent. The "Players" is for Players cigarettes and the "W D" you can see just below the Players is the cigarette makers "W. D. Wills" - this looks misleading as the rest of the logo must be behind the memorial but it looks as if it's in front.

Kate

Hi Chris,

I came across this portrait of a portable wooden memorial in Dulwich, London, England. It appeared during war time. The May 1915 article calls it a "street shrine" and the largest in London.

Look at the detail of the glass windows in the building above the shrine. It seems to be the same. The number of wreaths have changed, but this may be a 1917 photo. There is also a grill in front of this memorial, to hold in, or to tie on wreaths.

Marika

post-3697-1135106290.jpg

That is amazing Marika! :) I believe that it is one and the same (especially the glass decoration at the top of the window). Another bit of confirming information is this:

Name: HARDING, WILLIAM ARTHUR

Initials: W A

Regiment: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/08/1915

Additional information: Son of Arthur and Eliza Harding, of 16, Hinckley Rd., Peckham, London; husband of Florence Maud Harding, of 40, The Gardens, East Dulwich, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 140 to 144.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

If anyone would like a high resolution scan of the photo, I'd be happy to send one (the photo is a bit damaged at the bottom though).

That is amazing Marika! :) I believe that it is one and the same (especially the glass decoration at the top of the window). Another bit of confirming information is this:

Amazing - it looks as though you've found your memorial. Now to find the newsagent/tobacconist it was outside!

Kate

Chris,

I'm looking at the original microfiche page, and you can see the glass window pattern in it with two circles and then one. I think it must be the same.

I knew my pictures would come in handy some time.

Marika

Marika, I need to become as organised as you! I have found lots of information in various on-line newspapers but the main problem is remembering where I put everything. :lol:

Thanks, Marika, I can always use tips on better organising what I've come across, it'll help with all the info I've found in the Red Deer Advocate.

Hi Chris,

Swizz

Swizz is right. Many towns etc erected these street shrines during the war listing all those who had gone off to war. Here in Warley, I have found reference to six such shrines placed around the town but I have never found out what happened to them. The church magazine records that groups of people led by The Boy's brigade band would travel round visiting each "shrine" and paying tribute to the men and women. On the Hislop programme it was a shame that the local people walked past the "shrine" every day without knowing what it was. Would be interesting to know how many of these survive in situ

Patrick

This is an incredible thread and fascinating to follow. Now if someone could just get a pic of the present day location that would round it out.

Andy

Patrick and Andy, I did a google search to see if I could find anything about the East Dulwich Shrine but so far I've drawn a blank. I did find a website for the Dulwich Society, not sure if East Dulwich is covered by them, but I'll get in touch with them. An up-to-date photo of the site of the Shrine would be great.

Would anyone know if the names listed on the Shrine ended up on an East Dulwich War Memorial (or was there one?)?