Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Chippindales of Scholes

Nigel Marshall

While researching the men from my village who went off war, I came across the Chippindales. They were 1st Air Mech William Chippindale, RFC, later LAC, RAF, Lt Donald Chippindale RFA, Lt Hugh Chippindale RFA & RFC, and Lt Henry Chippindale, Yorks Hussars & Yorks Dragoons. William was killed by TB and pneumonia in 1921 but his brother and two nephews survived and each one brought home with him a Military Cross. I've never seen another family with 3 MC's. Donald's was gazetted on 18 Jun 1917 pp5987, Hugh was 22 Jun1918 pp 7405 and Henry on 7 Nov 1918 pp 13149, all make interesting reading. Does anyone know of another family with three brothers each winning an MC or any other decoration? The Bradfords spring to mind IIRC, 4 brothers sharing 2 VC's 2 MC's and a DSO, but not 3 of a kind. If it gets too tough I'll even accept permutations of MC/MC/MM or DSO/DCM/CGM (this I would love to see!) etc ad nauseum........answers on a postcard to the usual address! :blink:

How about the Howell-Price brothers of Australia?

Six Howell-Price brothers served during the First World War. They were sons of a Welsh clergyman, who for many years was the vicar of St Silas's Anglican Church in Waterloo, Sydney. When war broke out in 1914, the brothers ranged in age from David, 33, to down to Richmond, 18. All the brothers except David served overseas with distinction and were highly decorated. (David had served in the South African War. During the First World War he remained in Australia as the adjutant of a light horse (militia) regiment. )

Sadly, the three youngest brothers were all killed in action on the Western Front.

Sub-Lieutenant (later Lieutenant Commander) John Howell-Price DSO, DSC (1886–1937)

Major Frederick Phillimore Howell-Price DSO (1888–1978)

Lieutenant Colonel Owen Glendower Howell-Price DSO, MC (1890–1916)

Lieutenant (later Major) Phillip Llewellyn Howell-Price DSO, MC (1894–1917)

Lieutenant Richmond Gordon Howell-Price MC (1896–1917)

Source: Australian War Memorial

Have a look at this site:

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/howell_price/index.htm

There was another family, the Leane's, of the 48th Battalion. I'm not sure how many decorations they won, but the 48th Battalion was nicknamed the 'Joan of Arc' Battalion, because it was "made of all Leane's". See:

http://www.awm.gov.au/fiftyaustralians/30.asp

Bob

Thanks for the links Bob. The AWM really is a site to be envied..... nothing in UK to compare, at least nothing government funded.

Did you pick up on the link between the Bradfords and Sub Lt John H-P? A DSO for your man and the VC for Geogre Bradford at Zeebrugge, it's a small and shrinking world my friend!

Nigel

• 2 years later...

Just to correct my earlier mistake, the Chippindales were not four brothers but two sets of brothers who were uncles and nephews to each other.

William and Henry Murray were brothers and uncles of Donald and Hugh Arthur.

I should have corrected this a long time ago, sorry.

Cheers,

Nigel