Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyclist Brigades

Guest Jane Worlock

Guest Jane Worlock

I was wondering if any one can enlighten me on this brigade.

My Grandfathers records show him in 1916 applying to join Officer Cadet Unit, his commanding officer was down as commanding the 12th Yeomanary Cyclist Brigade Regiment, then based at Ipswich. Until this I had not realised there were cyclists during the First World war, I did know him to have been a Cavalry officer at some time, but perhaps not on horses as I had assumed?

My Grand father (Arthur John Worlock) was injured in some way and had been mentioned in dispatches at the end of the war. He never would talk about his experiences to any of us, but had a withered arm. He was invalid out in 1920 and could not go into Farming due to his arm.

I would really apprieciate any information especially about Grandpa's brigade but really about what the cyclist role was during the war?

Thank you kindly

Jane

Jane,

The 12th Cyclist Brigade actually never served overseas, but actually served at home as part of the UK's Home Forces, being formed on the 4th September 1917 as part of the new Cyclist Division. Prior to this the Division had actually gone through a few changes from it's original composition.

It started off as the 2nd/2nd Mounted Division being made up of second line Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment, but on the 20th March 1916 it was renamed the 3rd Mounted Division with little change in it's component units. In July 1916 it was retitled again as the 1st Mounted Division, before becoming the Cyclist Division in 1917.

The Mounted Brigades which made up the 1st Mounted Division were themselves renamed Cyclist Brigades and the Yeomanry Regiments became Yeomanry Cyclist Regiments, so you had the following changes;-

1st Mounted Brigade

2/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry.

2/1st Sherwood Rangers.

2/1st Royal Bucks Hussars.

Becomes;-

11th Cyclist Brigade

2/1st Sherwood Rangers.

2/1st R.Bucks Hussars.

7th(Cyclist)Bn,Devonshire Regt.

2nd Mounted Bde

2/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry.

2/1st Leicestershire Yeomanry.

2/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry.

Becomes;-

12th Cyclist Bde

2/1st, Staffs Yeomanry.

2/1st Leicester Yeomanry.

2/1st Lincs Yeomanry.

3rd Mounted Brigade

2/1st Queens Own Dorset Yeomanry.

2/1st Hertfordshire Yeomanry.

2/1st Essex Yeomanry.

Becomes;-

13th Cyclist Bde

2/1st Q.O.Dorset Yeomanry.

2/1st Herts Yeomanry.

2/1st Essex Yeomanry.

There is a lot more to it, but too much to explain here. In 1918 the Cyclist Division formed part of the Kent Force, Eastern Command, Home Forces U.K., with it's H.Q. at Canterbury.

Graham.

Guest Jane Worlock

Thank you ever so much, it has been really difficult to find anything on the cyclists. I still don't know what happened to Grandpa but it must have been towards the end of the war I guess. I really apprieciate your help in this matter.

Thank you

Jane

• 2 months later...

Can anyone confirm for me that the 2/1st Dorset Yeomanry or the 3rd Mounted Brigade were ever at Bowood estate in 1915, Manningtree in Essex or Galway in Ireland?

Guest Jane Worlock

;) Sorry Chris

I'm afraid I know nothing of your query, though the very kind Graham Stewart who was so kind as to reply to me above may.

Sorry and good luck

Jane (nee Worlock)

Can anyone confirm for me that the 2/1st Dorset Yeomanry or the 3rd Mounted Brigade were ever at Bowood estate in 1915, Manningtree in Essex or Galway in Ireland?

Chris,

Formed Sherbourne, Dorset September 1914.

May 1915 Chippenham in 2/1st South Western Mounted Bde.

September 1915 to Marsfield.

October 1915 to Lewes in 1/1st S.W.Mounted Bde.

The 2/1st Dorset Yeomanry were at Manningtree in early 1916, when the 2/1st S.W.Mounted Bde became the 2/1st Southern Mounted Bde and then 16th Mounted Bde in March 1916.

It became a cyclist unit in 7th Cyclist Bde, 2nd Cyclist Division at Woodbridge.

Became mounted again in November 1916 at Maidstone and joined 3rd Mounted Bde, 3rd Mounted Division.

At Sevenoaks in March 1917.

Became cyclists again in November 1917 in 13th Cyclist Bde, The Cyclist Division. The Bde was broken up in December 1917.

To Ireland in early 1918 and joins 6th Cyclist Bde at the Curragh, Ireland.

Graham.

• 4 weeks later...

Graham

I read your list of changes with regard to the Cyclists with interest. Could you tell me what records exist and where, concening the leicester Yeomanry?

I had a relative who was killed during the Battle of Frezenburg, but I cant seem to place him within the Yeomanry.

Thanks

Steve

Bowood Park is near Chippenham and Calne in Wiltshire. Between May and September 1915 the2/1st Dorset Yeomanry, 2/1st Hampshire Yeomanry, 2/1st North Somerset Yeomanryand 2/1st Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, 2,500 men in all, were camped there, courtsey of the owner of the Marquis of Lansdowne, Honorary Colonel of the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, who allowed water to be pumped from his 10,000-gallon reservoir at Lady Spout. Supplies were unloaded at Black Dog siding on the Calne railway branch. A hospital was extablished in Bowood House, but when two yeomen on a motor-cycle collided with a car driven by Sir Audrey Neeld they were taken to Calne Hospital.

I have a postcard pf the Hampshire Carabineers at Bowood Park. The camp had its own post office and I would love to buy, or even see, an example of the postmark.

Moonraker

Cyclists were used by the British, German, French and Belgian armies. They were used in a number of roles. The first British soldier to be killed in Western Europe in 1914 was a cyclist. He and a colleague were acting as scouts riding ahead of the infantry. They bumped into a group of German Jägers. Cyclists also served as dispatch riders. They could act as mobile reserves, particularly in support of cavalry. For example, Belgian cyclists held the village of Halen while their cavalry colleagues held the high ground during the Battle of the Silver Helmets in August 12 1914.

Robert

• 6 months later...