Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hasler, L M

KateJ

How can I found out the date of the Military Cross awarded to the man below? I've tried the online version of the London Gazette but it didn't come up with any Haslers (his brother was awarded an MC too)

Thanks for any help

Name: HASLER, LEONARD MELSOME

Initials: L M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Essex Regiment

Secondary Regiment: Machine Gun Corps

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 117th Coy.

Date of Death: 21/09/1917

Awards: MC

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Hasler, of The Croft, Dunmow, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 27.

Cemetery: RENINGHELST NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Try lots of variations of name initials , I couldnt find him using Leonard Melsome Hasler, but using intials etc found he had not been awaded an MC up to Aug 1916 if that helps. Gareth

Hello Kate,

I haven't been researching medals yet, but I was wondering if you have a photograph of that man for our project...?

Kind regards,

jan

Try lots of variations of name initials , I couldnt find him using Leonard Melsome Hasler, but using intials  etc found he had not been awaded an MC up to Aug 1916 if that helps. Gareth

Thanks for looking. I can't even think what a variation of the name "hasler" could be - anyone with any idea?

Is there anywhere else I could try? I'm going to start ploughing through the local paper but would rather I didn't have to start in 1914!

Kate

I can't even think what a variation of the name "hasler" could be - anyone with any idea?

Hosler, hassler, Hasller,... ? Would that be of any help? I'm not a native speaker, but you never know... .

regards,

Jan

Hello Kate,

I haven't been researching medals yet, but I was wondering if you have a photograph of that man for our project...?

Kind regards,

jan

Hi Jan

That's why I want his details, to try and find a photo of him. I posted about him on the Passchendaele Archive board over the weekend but I think you must have missed the post! His name is a couple above the Kemp's on Dunmow War Memorial.

The Haslers were a very influential local family - the William Hasler mentioned as chairman of the Parish Council in the meeting minutes for the War Memorial was his father. His brother also was awarded the MC and survived the war.

Kate

London Gazette 7th March 1918

2nd Lt. (T./Lt.) Leonard Melsome Haslar, Essex R., Spec. Res., attd. M.G. Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He brought his eight machine guns into action with great rapidity, and moved them forward to assist in the capture of a further objective. His battery came under heavy shell fire, losing one team, but, owing to his coolness, he got all his guns into action in the time laid down. Later, he did excellent work with four more guns taken over from another battery.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Announcement:

London Gazette 18th October 1917

2nd Lt. (T./Lt.) Leonard Melsome Haslar, Essex R., Spec. Res., attd. M.G. Corps.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Would suggest a likely date of July/August 1917. Probably 3rd Ypres.

Steve.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE,21 JUNE,1915.5971

War Office,

2IstJune,1915.

2rd Battalion,The Essex Regiment.

The surname of Second Lieutenant (on

probation)Leonard Melsome Hasler is as

now described,and not as stated in the

Gazette of the 14th May,1915.

12462 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE,21 DECEMBER,1916.

6th July 1916.

Temp2nd Lt.L.M.Hasler (Essex R.,Spec.

Res.).

heres what I found only relates to status.

Thanks Steve & welshdoc.

Groan, I spent all yesterday morning trying to find it! He died September 1917 so yes 3rd Ypres.

Now to find his photo!

Kate

Welshdocs 2nd entry is his appointment as Temporary Lieutenant.

I'd better not tell you it took about 5 minutes to find his MC, had I? :D

Just searched for Melsome. The more characters you ask the Gazette to search for the easier it finds it to trip over....

Steve.

That's why I want his details, to try and find a photo of him.  I posted about him on the Passchendaele Archive board over the weekend but I think you must have missed the post!  His name is a couple above the Kemp's on Dunmow War Memorial. 

Hi Kate,

I missed the post. I'm terribly sorry for that. There is so much posting going on. During weekend I can't follow it all.

Anyway, back to business! I hope you do find a photograph. It's a pity that I'm not in the Uk. I could go through all the newspapers myself, but don't worry, I've got plenty of work. I'm just lucky there are a lot of people doing their bests for our project. We are very gratefull for that!!!

Kind regards,

Jan

Just searched for Melsome.

I did!! I did!! I thought that would be an obvious one to go for but it didn't find it. Ok so I did have children crawling over the computer which probably didn't help.

Kate

• 4 years later...

Kate

Some additional confirmation: his name is given as Leonard Melsome Hasler (not Haslar) in:

--BMD Birth Index: birth registered in 1st Quarter of 1896, at Dunmow, Essex

--MIC: for Essex R. & Machine Gun Corps

--SDGW: confiming that he died 21 September 1917

CWGC had the correct name--the Army and the London Gazette notwithstanding!

Trelawney

Thanks for the details. I visited his grave in 2006

post-2231-032136100 1289752391.jpg