Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northern Cyclists Bn

stevenbecker

Mates,

I have a AIF soldier who claims some pre war service in the Northern Cyclists Bn.

He said he was a Cpl with 6 years in this unit.

Now I have not heard of this unit or seen a reference to it?

The soldier came from Bradford UK.

Thanks for any ideas

Cheers

S.B

I can only give you the 1914-1918 info on this unit :

Prior to the break of the war, only the 1/1st battalion was in existence. At the outbreak of war, it was stationed in Newcastle-on-tyne under Northern Command. It soon moved to Morpeth where it remained until 1916, then moved to Alnwick and stayed there for the rest of the war.

During the war, two more battalions were raised:

- In 1914, the 2/1st battalion was raised, forming the 10th Provisional Cyclist Coy in summer 1915. This Battalion was stationed in Skegness (Lincs.) in 1916 and in Burton Constable by summer 1918.

- A 3/1st Batt. was formed at Newcastle in 1915, but disbanded in 1916 and its personnel sent to the other two batts. and the Machine Gun Corps.

Hope it is helpful,

Gloria

Steve,

The Northern Cyclist Battalion did exist and was created on the formation of the Territorial Force, but there is a slight twist to it, which is only documented within the Territorial Force Minute Books for both Northumberland and Durham.

Originally the old Cyclist Sections of the Volunteer Battalions, Northumberland Fusiliers were going to create an 8th(Cyclist) Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, but there were never enough men to create a battalion, maily due to the rural nature of the county.

It's near neighbour Durham did have full Cyclist Sections within it's Volunteer Battalions and so it was proposed to bring the two together to form a Northern Cyclist Battalion, but under the administration of Northumberland, which wasn't an ideal situation.

The NCB when it was eventually formed was organised as follows;-

H.Q. - Hutton Terrace, Sandyford Lane, Newcastle.

'A' & 'B' Coy's - Sunderland.

'C' Coy - West Hartlepool.

'D' Coy - Chester-le-Street.

'E' & 'H' Coy's - Newcastle.

'F' Coy - Blyth.

'G' Coy - Whitley Bay.

Now although your man is from Bradford it is possible he may have been working in this region, as working class families were nomadic in their search for work.

Also to add a bit more, it was proposed at one time to have two NCB's, the 1st & 2nd Bn's, the first being created from the 5th(Cyclist)Bn, East Yorks and the second from this area, but it was a proposal on paper only.

Graham.

Mates,

Many thinks for the info.

I was begining to think he was pulling my left leg with the name Northern push bike riders but I am glad to see he was right.

You have filled in a interesting part of this mans like.

The soldier was William Claude Milnes and served during the war in the AAMC in the AIF.

Cheers

S.B

TD60,

Yes you'll find graves of Northern Cyclists in France or Flanders as they did provide drafts for other units, although the Northern Cyclist Battalions themselves never left these shore's. After the 1st July 1916 a draft from the NCB was sent to the Tyneside Scottish and as things were rather fluid at the time some of these lads were killed before the paperwork of official transfer could catch up with them and so they're buried as Northern Cyclists.

Graham.

TD60,

Yes you'll find graves of Northern Cyclists in France or Flanders as they did provide drafts for other units, although the Northern Cyclist Battalions themselves never left these shore's. After the 1st July 1916 a draft from the NCB was sent to the Tyneside Scottish and as things were rather fluid at the time some of these lads were killed before the paperwork of official transfer could catch up with them and so they're buried as Northern Cyclists.

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

You confirm here what I suspected.

Interesting details.

Thanks again :)

Hi

This may be a photo of a Cyclists unit. on the back is an Liverpool address i got this one with one of L/Cpl Harold Gowland MM C de G LF/RE.

Mate,

Thanks for the photo, the motor bikes look great and I love the early sidecar.

I am not sure what unit that is but its my understanding that the Northern Cycists Bn were a push bike unit not motor bike.

Cheers

S.B