Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TWO BRITISH SOLDIERS

j.r.f

PALS

I was on the western front over the weekend and,amongst other things,I went to LANGEMARK GERMAN MILITARY CEMETERY.Very interesting and so different to the BRITISH CEMETERIES.Just insidethe cemetery there is,on the end of a german memorial stone,a BRITISH plaque commemorating two soldiers.They are PRIVATE A.CARLILL 31006 LOYAL NORTH LANCS. REGT.4TH NOVEMBER 1918. and PRIVATE L.H.LOCKLEY. S/43486 SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS 30 OCTOBER 1918.

I was told that this plaque is a new one. My question is does anybody know the story about these two soldiers ? I have down loaded their information off the CWGC site.Iknow nothing more about them and would really like to know.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Both were original buried on a german cemetery.

later moved to Langemark but now buried on a British cemetery.

Interestingly Pvte Lockely is shown by CWGC as being in Langemark still?

Also he is shown as 4th Bn Seaforth, but in this area and at that date I feel fairly sure he would have been with the 7th Bn, in the 9th Div. MIC has him as having also been in the Royal Warwickshires and the Royal Inniskilling Fusliers.

Isn't it frequently so, that a simple question opens up a whole story of just one life out of many?

Ian

I thought they were were both still buried at Langemark in the Kameradengrab and the plaques were to record this fact rather than erecting CWGC headstones.

One was I understand a POW who died in captivity in Roeselare.

Regards

John

Both men are still at Langemark and this is now their official CWGC commemoration site. CWGC used to commemorate these two men in other cemeteries but they moved their commemoration to Langemark this year and erected the plaque.

The plaque was selected after consultation between CWGC and VdK so that it blended with the general atmosphere of the German cemetery.

I believe the men's names also appear on the German name blocks around the central grave/flower bed.

See this thread..

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...9&hl=langemarck

Details

Surname LOCKLEY

Firstname Leonard H

Service Number S/43486

Date Death 30/10/1918

Decoration

Place of birth Ryde I of Wight

Other 4th Bn. formerly 47097 Royal Innis. Fus.

SNWM roll THE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Name: LOCKLEY, LEONARD HARRY

Initials: L H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/10/1918

Service No: S/43486

Additional information: Son of Mrs E Lockley of 5 Morland Road, Fawcett Road, Southsea, Portsmouth.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: LANGEMARK GERMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

Strangely, a lot of ex English Regt men died in the Seaforths that day according to the SNWM. I would agree probably 7th Battalion.

Aye

Malcolm

PALS

Thanks.I am still not sure why they are there but am happy in that they are well looked after.Are they in the communal grave or are they elsewhere in the cemetery ? Is the plaque the only commemoration to them in the cemetery ?

THANKS.

JOHN.