Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Canadian General Hospital

chrisharley9

Can anyone help with this hospital's location on 19th May 1918. Also was there any incident on this date that could have resulted in at least three of the hospital's staff e.g air raid. Any info would be appreciated.

All the Best

Chris

The hospital was bombed in an air raid on Sunday May 19th, 1918. Here are a few of the casualties:

Many thanks for that info - was the hospital at Etaples on that date?

Do you have any objections if I use that info on the Roll of Honour site for the medical personnel database.

All the Best

Chris

This was a rather notorious bombing raid at Etaples. There have been a few previous threads on the subject, for example here .

You can probably get others by search on "Etaples" and looking for likely headings.

As an aside, there are some video clips available here of some of the funerals. We often see some of these on television documentaries (without being told they are from the Etaples hospital bombing!).

Please feel free to use the accounts.

I have put all the Etaples accounts (I have more than I posted above) here.

If you look through this group of images - Medical WWI you will find a few accounts pertaining to medical personnel.

In addition, I have a number of accounts relating to medical personal (ie. killed, wounded, biographies, etc.), that I can email to you if you are looking for something specific.

thank you both for your very kind help

All The Best

Chris

Please feel free to use the accounts.

I have put all the Etaples accounts (I have more than I posted above) here.

If you look through this group of images -  Medical WWI  you will find a few accounts pertaining to medical personnel.

In addition, I have a number of accounts relating to medical personal (ie. killed, wounded, biographies, etc.), that I can email to you if you are looking for something specific.

I would be interested in receiving anything on Canadian Medical staff who lost their lives in any conflict.

All The Best

Chris

Does anyone know if this is the raid that Eleanor Thompson and Meta Hodge won the Military Medal?

TIA

marc

I think it was another bombing at the end of the month - here is an article on Meta Hodge.

(Image of article removed - contact me for a copy)

Here's the listing of the nurses who won medals (published Sept. 25/18):

(image of article removed - contact me for a copy)

Thanks for the information, Marika

Any chance you have a picture of Eleanor Thompson in your collection??

marc

Sorry Marc, I don't have that one for you. What I do have ends up (eventually) on the Canadian Virtual Memorial.

Here's a list of pictures and/or articles in case any one else needs anything.

Nursing sister and medical personnel photos:

Lt. Jean E. Harstone, VAD, later ambulance driver.

NS Meta Hodge (wounded Canadian hospital bombing May 30, 1918)

NS Georgina D. Long (seriously wounded, Canadian General Hospital Etaples, May 1918)

NS Mabel Lucas (No. 4 University of Toronto Unit at Salonika, later Duchess of Connaught Red Cross Hospital)

NS E. V. McKay (died at Base Hospital Boulogne)

NS Mary Agnes McKenzie (died on Llandovery Castle)

NS Meta Parker (at Orpington Hospital Kent)

NS Mae Sampson (died on Llandovery Castle)

I also have 34 more portraits of Canadian Nursing Sisters who survived the war - but the files holding these are large, so please feel free to email me if you would like these files.

Best regards, Marika