Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1Bn Grenadier Guards @ Ypres 1914

Dave_Woods

I originally posted this in December 2002 and am giving it one more go before I finally give up any hope of finding out more information..

I am currently researching a book regarding the devastation of the 1st battalion of the Grenadier Guards at Kruiseik during Ypres 1914. 2 of my Great Uncles, L/Cpl Henry George Richardson and Company Quarter Master Serjeant George Leswell Richardson, were both killed within days of each other during this action and like so many others with no known grave they are commemorated on the Menin Gate.

I would be interested to know if any one has any diaries, photos, letters or other ephemera relating to the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards for the period 1910 - 1914. I would also be interested in discovering how to track down local Belgium maps of the period.

If any one is also researching this topic or just wants some information I would be more than glad to help if I can.

Dave Woods

1st Bn Grenadier Guards, 20th Brigade, 7th Division [ October 1914 - 4 August 1915 ]

Recommended reading:

THE SEVENTH DIVISION 1914 - 1918 by C.T. Atkinson published by Naval & Military Press.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?...ameset.htm&-new

Attached maps 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 from book.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1129509382.jpg

1st Bn Grenadier Guards, 20th Brigade, 7th Division [ October 1914 - 4 August 1915 ]

Recommended reading:

THE SEVENTH DIVISION 1914 - 1918 by C.T. Atkinson published by Naval & Military Press.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?...ameset.htm&-new

Attached map 8 and casualty figures.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1129509501.jpg

Information on maps or lack of them:

http://pathsofglory.co.uk/trench%20maps.htm

courtesy of Dave.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1129510480.jpg

Dave

My brother inherited a WW1 bayonet some time ago which is in v. good condition and is complete with scabbard.

Engraved into the blade is the following:

Pte L C Wood 14685 1Bn Grenadier Guards Netley 1915.

The engraving appears DIY but none the less is done well. I did a little research on the above and alas his records do not survive in WO363/364. His MIC gives the following:

Lionel C Wood Pte

SWB list GG/303

Victory GG/103 B15.1348

BW Medal GG/1B 233

1. France

Qualifying date 19.1.15

I can try and take a picky of it if you like but I'm not sure how well the engraving will come out. If you happen to have anything on this man it would be of interest to me.

Stuart

Richard

Many thanks for the info - I walked the area some years ago with a local who lived on the Menin Rd ( a retired CWGC cemetary gardener no less!).

Unfortunately, according to my research, the location of the Grenadiers is slightly incorrect on the maps in the 7 div history. It looks like I may have to travel back and see if I can get to view some archivemaps at "In Flanders Fields" or some other local archives.

Thanks also for the paths of glory link - I have spent quite a lot of time on the site today much to the dissaproval of my wife.

Dave

Hi Dave

My maternal grandfather was called up from the reserve 5 August 1914 into the 3rd Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment at Warwick.

His MIC states " QUALIFYING DATE 1 / 11 / 14 " for his 1914 Star Clasp 26996, with 2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment ( 22nd Brigade, 7th Division).

He was one of the first reserves called up to the Bn at a time when the 7th Division was on the verge of destruction; the divisional history account of 1st Ypres is astonishing.

The War Diary for the 2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire, stops at 27 October 1914 and restarts 10 November 1914, as there was no officer available to write it in this critical period.

So, I would also be interested in any maps for the period you may find.

The Official History which I do not have, but would like someday, may have some detailed relevant maps for the period.

Can any pal share them?

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1129602529.jpg

When you look at the arrows on that last map and imagine the troops stacked against them, you can't help but wonder how the heck those boys held on at Ypres in 1914.

regards

Arm

If it wasn't for the Worcesters at Gheluvelt I can't help but think more would have been made of the stand of the 7th Divison at Ypres - in particular 20th Brigade.

The Divisions exploits have definitely been overlooked - I have found scores of references to thier heroic acts but no real details of them. Perhaps it was too early in the war and the acts were lost in time. If the events of October 1914 had occurred in 1915 or later when there were press around recording everything worthy of report, or spin, then the real truth would have been recorded. The number of Officers, especially top brass, killed at 1st Ypres changed the way the British Army fought forever. The percentage of missing was never surpassed throughout the rest of the war. My research shows that of those 1 Bn Grenadiers at 1st Ypres recorded as killed in action only about 15 -20% were identified and allowed the luxury of a named grave.

I suppose that's one of the reasons I am trying to find out and record exacly, or as close as posisble, what happened to my Gt Uncles.

Dave

Something else to think about Armourer sergeant...

The majority of those arrows were moving towards and behind the left flank of 1 Bn Grenadiers on 29th October 1914.

Dave

Position of 1/GG at Kruiseecke on 25th Oct 1914...

dave.

post-357-1129766121.jpg

Situation on 29th Oct...

post-357-1129766519.jpg

Great Maps! Which book did they come from ?

They're from the "Official History of the War - Military Operations France and Belgium 1914" maps volume.

Dave.

Nice one.

How accurate are the German units listed on the maps? Are they from intelligence sources or are they from German records?

• 9 years later...
Guest Neil McRae

I have just discovered my Great Uncle 12318 Sergeant Arthur Ormond Butcher 1st Btn GG was wounded in October 1914. I don't have the exact date but it was reported in the Gazette as 1st December 1914 so I assume it was during the battle around Ypres Gheluvelt. I can't find any records for him other than the award of the 1914 Star. Does anyone have any record of him. I know from the census that he was a corporal in 1911 and a Sergeant when he married in 1913. He survived the war and in WW2 was a captain in the Home Guard but details of enlistment and discharge would be good. ::Neil::