Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Yate.

Tony Lund

Major Yate.

I am curious about Major Yate, I believe his Officers Died entry states “Died in enemy hands” or something similar. He seems to have been captured at Le Cateau when his battalion was overrun, and then killed in Germany.

Nothing to do with Holmfirth but I have been curious about this for a while.

Thanks,

Tony.

Major Yate.

I believe his Officers Died entry states “Died in enemy hands” or something similar.

It does. On the hardcopy, it reads: "V.C. Yate, Charles Allix Lavington, Major, died, 20/9/14 (in German hands)".

Apparently, he had his skull smashed in an escape attempt.

Dave.

I thought there was something. The CWGC say that:

“on 26th August, and, when all other officers were killed or wounded and ammunition exhausted, led his nineteen survivors against the enemy in a charge in which he was severely wounded.”

It sounds a bit optimistic to be attempting to escape from Germany about twenty-five days after being severely wounded.

Tony.

It sounds a bit optimistic to be attempting to escape from Germany about twenty-five days after being severely wounded.

Here's a photo of Yate shortly after his capture (from "VC's of the First World War -1914" by Gliddon). I've certainly seen more severely wounded men than he looks here (if it is captioned correctly, though I'm unsure - full equipment and what looks like a bayonet fixed rifle on a POW????).

Anyway, evidently he died on his 3rd escape attempt (from Torgau). Another source says he was shot by his captors whilst struggling through the barbed wire and fled, wounded, to a river in which he never emerged. (The "smashed skull" scenario is from the Official History).

Dave.

post-357-1126467725.jpg

(The "smashed skull" scenario is from the Official History).

Dave.

That will be where I saw this mentioned. I remember now what caught my eye. "Killed by person's unknown" or some such wording, it just seemed an unusual thing to say during a war.

Thanks,

Tony.

• 8 years later...

Hello,

I am a new member, and after years maybe I can add something to the topic: the bayonet belongs to a German soldier standing behind Maj Yate. Indeed it seems that Maj Yate was not "severely wounded" at Le Cateau, otherwise he would not heve been able to flee from Torgau. This episode is described in the book "Meeting The Enemy" by Richard van Emden.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Was there not also something mentioned about him killing himself rather than being captured again?

Seaforth78 has a thread running on him here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197372&hl=