Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Detling - August 27th/28th/29th

Andrew Upton

I'm posting this message in a couple of places to try and find out who else is going to Detling the weekend after next? I'll be there participating as a WW1 MGC soldier - if you spot a young MGC soldier sporting circular steel rimmed spectacles, it's probably me! Failing that, pop along to our groups display and say hello - we'll be the one with things like a Lewis gun, assorted Vickers guns, possibly a Hotchkiss, Brens, Maxims, etc, outside :lol:

Looking forward to Military Odyssey as always.

For anyone who has not been before I think those of us who have would highly recommend it. Next biggest show after Beltring (see here) but with the emphasis on re-enactment of all historical periods rather than military vehicles and the Second World War in particular. Great for all the family, with lots of displays and plenty of militaria on sale.

More here:

http://www.military-odyssey.fsnet.co.uk/mo/mo-display.html

I intend going but not sure which day ... are you part of the same group as Trenchwalker?

What, the Great War Society, or "the society that shall not be named!" :ph34r: ???

No, I am a member of "The Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45" - or VMGS for short. I do WW1, but we should have members there in uniforms from different dates relating to soldiers who have used the machine gun in one of its many forms.

It would be nice to meet Giles Poilu in person, to thank you for the various help you've given since I found this forum!

What, the Great War Society, or "the society that shall not be named!" :ph34r: ???

I can guess who said that

Look whay can we just get along .

I will be there as ww1 middlesex the lewises will be there along with various other number of kit.

Look whay can we just get along .

I've got no problem with the GWS - if they hadn't refused to take me on at two weeks notice three years ago, I'd never have joined the VMGS, and for that I am eternally grateful! ;)

Hi Andrew,

I'm letting the side down I'm afraid. I'll be at Twinwoods (Glenn Miller Festival)sporting the Chocolate & Pink of USAAF.

Please don't throw any stones at this point, it hurts!!

Anyway, I hope you really enjoy yourself and have a fantastic event.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :)

hmmm i walked staight in to the society and it has been the best thing i have ever done.

Ah, but if it hadn't been for the GWS I'd have never got into reenacting WW1 in the first place, which I do thank them for! I spotted their display at "Old Sarum Through the Ages" a good 7 or 8+ years ago, and was hooked, but when events forced me to try and join the GWS with two weeks notice in time for History in Action VII in 2002, all I got was "not possible...too short notice...etc" - phoned the VMGS, described what kit I had and didn't have, and was told "we can get you up to scratch in time and you can learn on the job" - and I'm still there three years later :lol:

I will be coming not sure what day but I will be accompanied by the camp follower or the wife of.

John

yes i can see what you mean did have to sell my nan at the last minute to get kits.

Andrew, Martin,

Try being a cavalryman and getting a 1902 UP saddle past your missus when it arrives at the front door via Parcel Post! :( As for the cost - well trust me - never mind selling my granny, mines a second mortgage and I haven't even got the damn horse...yet!! :D

Regards

David

By the way if you see any cavalry type, horse related articles at Detling next week let me know - most of the time they are as rare as rocking horse manure and I have relied on Detling in previous years to supply a few key items. As I'm 5000 miles away it will be a bit difficult this year (I'll be there in 06!) but if you see anything (especially a bit or cavalry mess tins) I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. As for a horse...well I'll get my own when I come back!

Again grateful for any feedback on any group that is willing to have a lone cavalryman in their midst (I am learning to play the bugle if that would be a help!!) then I would be most grateful to be taken under somebodies wing! :rolleyes:

Regards

David

Try being a cavalryman and getting a 1902 UP saddle past your missus when it arrives at the front door via Parcel Post!  As for the cost - well trust me - never mind selling my granny, mines a second mortgage and I haven't even got the damn horse...yet!! :

Why not try telling her it's a new vacuum cleaner for her, and see how delighted she is! :lol:

Sadly, if I see anything you require, the phrase "I'm as poor as a church mouse who's wife has just run off with all the cheese" springs to mind - although a certain project in the near future will help change that (Trenchy probably knows what I'm talking about, but I'm keeping stum otherwise until after it's over :ph34r: )

However, joking aside, it's funny that you should mention a bit (I'm not a horsey person - that is the piece that goes in a horses mouth?) - when I'm at University in Exeter, I regularly visit a car boot sale where someone always turns up with lots of cheap second hand horsey stuff, including a box of bits - if I knew what a WW1 bit should look like, I could have a fish about when I return at the end of September, and see if there's anything useful there.

Andrew,

thanks, I wouldn't dream of asking a poor penniless student t cough up on my behalf! :lol: Its really more out of a matter of interest to see what is about and what the current going price is on some of these items. if indeed they are available at all!

However, with regard to the bit and your offer of exploring the Exeter car boot scene then I would be most grateful and keen to take you up on your offer. The bit in question is known as a "Portmouth Reversible" and I will upload a photo of one later today for reference.

In essecnce it is a fairly "severe" bit - like putting the brakes of a 40 ton truck on a mini. This is so that a horsemen of whatever ability could stop a sometimes run-away horse on a sixpence!!! Particularly useful when you have six of them pulling a ton and a half of field gun behind you!

Many thanks again

regards

David

David

Is this what you are looking for?

John,

Brilliant - exactly right - thats what I am talking about - for Andrew you won't get a better picture than this one above!

Many thanks

Regards

David

Blimey! People might think I get a bit anal about ordnance and grenades but I never realised a 'bit' was that complicated! That's more detailed than a line drawing of a nuke... :D

Blimey!  People might think I get a bit anal about ordnance and grenades but I never realised a 'bit' was that complicated!  That's more detailed than a line drawing of a nuke...  :D

Giles,

There is nothing non-technical about equitation don't you know ;)

Just wait till you see the harness diagram for the 13pdr!!!

I'll spare you that! :D

Regards

David

David

Is this what you are looking for?

John,

From the key numbering on this diagram it wou;ld appear that the rest of the bridle is in diagram form as well?

If so could you post that also?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

David

I've saved the picture on my computer, and I'll have a root about again when I get back, but from what I remember, all the ones that were there last time didn't look much like that - but keep your fingers crossed...

QUOTE(Jonathan Saunders @ Aug 18 2005, 06:42 PM)

I intend going but not sure which day ... are you part of the same group as Trenchwalker?

I will almost certainly be there on Sunday if anyone would like to meet up.

Like I said before, if you spot a speccy young WW1 MGC soldier, say hello!

David

Here is the other diagram as requested.

John

post-1365-1124819346.jpg

I've saved the picture on my computer, and I'll have a root about again when I get back, but from what I remember, all the ones that were there last time didn't look much like that - but keep your fingers crossed...

Like I said before, if you spot a speccy young WW1 MGC soldier, say hello!

Excuse my ignorance, but WHAT is on at Detling this coming weekend? I certainly will go as it is close to where I live...

Robbie :huh: